Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2005 10:34:06 PM EDT
I can go 6 months without drinking without a second thought.  But I think my genes have me screwed on being an alcoholic.  Uncle, dad, and brother all have had times of hardcore drinking.

Should i just avoid all alcohol for the rest of my life?

ETA I only started drinking when I found out what it did to my GF. If I don;t drink then she does't drink.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Waste of time and a waste of money

I quit on my own before it became a problem, that was back in 1993
I still have a bottle of Jack Sitting on my desk next to my 1911 as a reminder.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Rememeber: Just one more can't hurt!

I too have lots of alcoholism in the extended family, but other than the occasional bourbon and cigar, I don't give it a second thought. Granted, I drank like a sailor in high school, but who didn't?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Although it’s widely accepted that alcoholism is genetic it is common to skip a generation or different members of a generation (one brother may be while the other isn’t).

A couple of simple test:  If you’re worried you may have a problem you probably do.  Social drinkers don’t usually have these thoughts.

If you’re drinking when you know you shouldn’t you probably need to examine this further.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

So do you do total avoidance?

Because i notice alcoholics are either totally drunk most of the time or don;t drink a sip.  But alot of people can get drunk then not drink till the next bar trip or whatever....I am seriously asking here....I should have posted in the Team Forum
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends if you can distinguish between pyschological addiction and physical addiction.  If you have never experienced delirum tremens, you are probably only psychologically addicted.  In this case, you need to find out what is causing you to need the buzz.

The rest of the world only treats physiological alcoholism, that is the case where physical withdrawl symptoms prevail.  I suspect most cases in the United States are psychological addicts.

Now on treatment.  Statistically speaking, one is no better off going to AA.  Penn and Teller did a great investigative piece on this.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So do you do total avoidance?

Because i notice alcoholics are either totally drunk most of the time or don;t drink a sip.  But alot of people can get drunk then not drink till the next bar trip or whatever....I am seriously asking here....I should have posted in the Team Forum

Have a Staff or Mod move it to the team forum

I avoid it

I was never tempted by it, or went through the nasty withdrawls.
The main reason I quit drinking, is that I had been drinking damn near everyday since 1984 or so, I drank a lot and I mean a lot when I was in the Navy.

Somedays it was a few beers, somedays it was a bottle of Jack, weekends were made for Jack Daniels.  

The other part of the main reason I quit was, I was a MEAN Drunk Now I never beat my Wife or Child, but if you looked at me wrong or said something that I didn't like I would have knocked you on your ass faster than you can blink.  I didnt need that shit in my life and I wanted to make sure I was able to walk away from it. I didnt want to end up like my dad or my grandpa
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#7]
AA has a test on thier website, however those wussies say you might want to contact them if you answer 6 out of 12 as yes.

Frankly until your batting a thousand your not an alcoholic.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#8]
If you think you are drinking too much you probably are.  If someone else tries to suggest that you might drink too much, provided they arent a ninny, you probably do.  IMHO drinking everyday probably indicates a problem, provided we arent talking just a glass of wine or a signle beer.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#9]
The test is simple.

Does your drinking impact your work, your health or your interpersonal relationships in a negative way?

If yes to any, you have a drinking problem and should quit or join a program.

Simple.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Supposedly, you have a 400% better chance of being an alcoholic if one/both of your parents are.

But, either you are or you aren't, if you believe the medical community.  

Here are the 3 symptoms of alcoholism:

Tolerance
Withdrawal
Pathological Organ Change

If/when you get any of these, you'll be on your way.  

If you're an adult, and don't have a problem yet, chances are you won't.  If you're not a binge drinker, or an every day drinker by now, you're probably good to go.  

Not drinking at all is a good way to make sure it stays that way, though.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:19:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The test is simple.

Does your drinking impact your work, your health or your interpersonal relationships in a negative way?

If yes to any, you have a drinking problem and should quit or join a program.

Simple.

+1

That's the way I see it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Should i just avoid all alcohol for the rest of my life?

Ultimately, only you can make that decision.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#14]
avoid it at all costs.

(if you've got some laying around you can send it to me and that way you won't be tempted by it any longer)
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#15]
The posts that recommend looking at what role alcohol plays in your life are spot on.
eta: The downside here is alot of folks with addiction/alcoholism arent always capable of being totally honest with themselves, ie denial etc..

Yes, alcoholism is a famillial disease. Some people do seem to have a genetic predisposition.
Now that Americans are much more mobile as a society, it tends NOT to skip a generation as much as say 50 yrs ago.

As an AA "whussy" whom has been sober for over 19 yrs, I would argue with those that say treatment and 12 step programs don't help. In actuality, AA has saved thousands of people's lives over it's history, mine included.

The bottom line from my point of view is as follows, FredM:

People who's lives are unmanagable because of drugs or alcohol have a problem.
Perhaps sitting down with your family physician, or a mental health or drug and alcohol counselor would be a better way to understand your risks and individual situation.

Good luck,
DaddyDett
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Alcoholism runs in my family (on both sides).

I drink. But I may go weeks, sometimes even months without touching a drop.

Personally, I believe alcoholism comes in degrees. Knowing that I have the genetic predisposition and an addictive personality, I am very careful about my drinking.
If you think you have a problem, you probably do. Adjust your life accordingly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
AA has a test on thier website, however those wussies say you might want to contact them if you answer 6 out of 12 as yes.

Here is link to test

AA Test
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Give it some more thought over a case of beer. That's what I'd do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is link to test

AA Test

I scored a 6. w00t!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#20]
If you're doing it with your wife and you think to yourself "I'd rather be drinking a beer..." you might have a problem.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If you're doing it with your wife and you think to yourself "I'd rather be drinking a beer..." you might have a problem.

that's what those beer hats are for.......................
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

As an AA "whussy" whom has been sober for over 19 yrs, I would argue with those that say treatment and 12 step programs don't help. In actuality, AA has saved thousands of people's lives over it's history, mine included.

It works for some and for some it doesn't.  I tried it and it wasn't for me.

13 years sober last June.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

ETA I only started drinking when I found out what it did to my GF. If I don;t drink then she does't drink.

And?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#24]
one way to know for sure is when you drink and post
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#25]
If you think you have a problem with drugs, then you probably do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#26]
An alcoholic is so one who can not control or enjoy their drinking.

Simple as that.  If when you start to drink and you always want more....you are probably an alcoholic.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#27]
request
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top