Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2005 9:49:08 PM EDT
My nephew & I are trying (over the phone & e-mail) to get the last problem resolved with an old custom built pentium 200 mmx PC for my niece.  This computer has performed nicely in the past, but using DSL rather than dial-up.  All the other devices & cards are working properly

The internal modem is a Modemblaster DI5660 v.90, (ISA) donated by a friend, supposed to be PnP.

Using either Hyperterminal or the phone dialer, it won't dial out and sometimes crashes Win98se
At one point he was able to get to a Diagnostic screen through "Dial-Up Networking" and it indicated:

"Couldn't open port

COM4
Interrupt 11
Address 2E8

Highest Speed: No Response"

now when he tries to get the diagnostic feature going, it gives him the dreaded BLUE SCREEN...

Since it's supposed to be a PnP card, the IRQ setting should be done automatically and so we havent needed to change the BIOS options to specifiy a unique IRQ.

The computer is 2000 miles away and there's no documentation or media for the modem.
The card has been double checked for proper seating
Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:57:50 AM EDT
[#1]
First boot into   safe mode.  unistall dial up networking from control panel and add-remove programs.  once that is unistalled don't reboot.  go to device manager and delete all the modems that are listed.  then go back to the control panel and to modems.  make sure no modems are listed.  

reboot the computer.  let it reinstall the modem.  then reininstall dialup networking.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:06:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Look at the modem card for little switches or jumpers. It could be that they where changed from the default. It could be that they need to be changed from the default, it could be an incombatability issue. Interrupt conflicts are fun. What are the right settings? I don't know without looking at it, and maybe not then. This was one of the more frustrating parts of a computer before real plug and play(I use that loosely).

I haven't looked at a 98 machine in a looong time.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys.   I will pass this information along to the hands-on guy.

Troy, do you have anything to suggest?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#4]
+
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#5]
ISA and Win98 weren't the best at PNP (I'm not going to say plug and pray).  You may find it easier to buy a cheap external modem and plug it into a com port if the internal one keeps giving you trouble.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top