Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2005 4:13:49 PM EDT
My son just got a call from some money sucker from the NRA and the first words out of their mouths after they confirmed it was him was what would he do if the UN came into our house and took all his guns.

My wife took the phone and said he's only 17 for God's sake and hung up.

Tell me why I continue to belong to an organization like this.

If they spent more time on services and events than trying to scare people into giving more money they MIGHT be worth it but I'm begining to think they aren't.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont beleive it. If that happened they should fire the idiotic collection company they are using.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#2]
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling"-NRA
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Its a trap Their just checking to see who is a member , you got to watch for them. un can't have my guns , only my once fired bullets.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, either your story is total horseshit or it was NOT the NRA and you didn't
bother to research anything before posting. Most likely it was the NRA and they
said something that isn't even close to what you claim and you've embellished the
hell out of it to make your story better.

My guess is the third option, but regardless I call.......

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Dear UN, US Gov't, and NRA,

You can have one end of it.

Sincerely, 6th Generation known American Citizen.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#6]
How would the NRA know your son was 17? I'm sorry but I am really, really tired of this idiotic NRA bashing. The NRA has done more for the right to bear arms than any other organization in this country. I hope your fragile 17 yr old survies the trauma of the NRA wanting some help in defending his future right to own a firearm.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I have asked them no to call me, and it seems to work.
If enough people did it they would get the message. As it is, there must be enough people coughing up money to make doing this profitable -- so although its unpleasant, its not actually wasting your money, its making money for your organization.

I wish they wouldn't do it though...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sorry, either your story is total horseshit or it was NOT the NRA and you didn't
said something that isn't even close to what you claim and you've embellished the

+1

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I know a lot of folks around the country wonder sometimes what does the NRA do and why? It’s hard to discern living out in fly over country how people inside the Washington belt way think and act. I can say living here and knowing NRA employees personally that the NRA is very much like a government agency. Some people there look at it as a job. Some look at it as a cause. The rest are in between. Like any big agency the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. Years ago I spoke to Lapiere about how the NRA was missing out on fund raising through the federal CFC program. It took three years for them to cover that gap. I have spoke to NRA people about their world-class range and how dirty the rest rooms were. How a pressure washing of the parking lot and better lighting would make it more presentable to the Washington elite and especially women. After all the more powerful women we get supporting us here inside the beltway the better off we are. Little things make a difference. As my old drill sergeant Futrell of B33, Ft Dix used to say, “Pay attention to details because it’s the details that get you killed.” So when we hear of fundraising crap from the field I can say that the NRA leadership people are so far from the action that they have very little clue how offensive such behavior is to the core membership. Lastly, I see the future as not getting better. Many of the people they are hiring would not pass my muster. The next generation of new hires are kids with tattoos and morals of an alley cat. But hey, they work in a palatial office building with all the comforts and services as any beltway bandit while using your money. As long as congress fears them they are all we got. I hope you all have a better understanding of our NRA. Out here.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Services and events? Screw that, I want them to fight gun control.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I once had a guy from the NRA asking for money recommend buying a mini-14 assault rifle.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Ya.

You newbs calling BS probably aren't even members yourselfs so you haven't gotten the call.

I wasn't there but i got the call a couple of nights ago and could tell "telemarketer" and politely said no thanks and hung up.  The wife was and she is livid.  Yea, they made a real ally there.

I know this dick wasn't an actual NRA employee but his firm was hired for 10 cents off every dollar they could collect for the NRA.

..and you're right, they have no idea how old anyone is on their call list.

I just wish, LIKE I SAID EARLIER, that if they would make their membership more attractive rather than a fucking detriment due to the hounding, I would have less heart burn over it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#13]
My impression of the NRA is that they're more into defending hunter's rights than defending the actual 2nd Amendment (defense against govt tyranny/defense against crime).  I like them as an organization, I like the National Firearms Museum (been there several times now), however, I'm not a member because I don't know just how serious they are about RKBA as opposed to merely pushing for hunter's rights.  I think they may have compromised a little too much in past years.  I really like GOA, but I'm not sure if they get taken seriously like the NRA does.  If anybody would like to educate me further on these organizations and their stances, I'd be glad to listen and learn.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#14]
The NRA gets progun politicians elected. What more can you ask for. I could careless if the NRA calls me. I love it when the fag democrats complain about the NRA.It makes me so happy I sent them even more money. WHAT ABOUT WHEN YOU GO TO CHRUCH AND THOSE RUDE PEOPLE ASK YOU FOR MONEY. See! everyone needs money. So, I give to the church and to the NRA. Don't you have caller ID? Don't you hate it when sears calls and wants you to buy a credit card protection plan?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Bob, you really need to send a small donation to every gun rights organization, every year.

You don't have to marry 'em, just a little support.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My impression of the NRA is that they're more into defending hunter's rights than defending the actual 2nd Amendment (defense against govt tyranny/defense against crime).  I like them as an organization, I like the National Firearms Museum (been there several times now), however, I'm not a member because I don't know just how serious they are about RKBA as opposed to merely pushing for hunter's rights.  I think they may have compromised a little too much in past years.  I really like GOA, but I'm not sure if they get taken seriously like the NRA does.  If anybody would like to educate me further on these organizations and their stances, I'd be glad to listen and learn.  

How are they going to effectively relfect your views if you are not a member? Why should they reflect your views at all if you dont even care enough to try? Seems like deer hunters are more
serious than you if what you say is true.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Tell me why I continue to belong to an organization like this.

If we have to explain it to you, you're probably better off NOT belonging.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ya.

You newbs calling BS probably aren't even members yourselfs so you haven't gotten the call.

I wasn't there but i got the call a couple of nights ago and could tell "telemarketer" and politely said no thanks and hung up.  The wife was and she is livid.  Yea, they made a real ally there.

I know this dick wasn't an actual NRA employee but his firm was hired for 10 cents off every dollar they could collect for the NRA.

..and you're right, they have no idea how old anyone is on their call list.

I just wish, LIKE I SAID EARLIER, that if they would make their membership more attractive rather than a fucking detriment due to the hounding, I would have less heart burn over it.

You mean "newb" life members like me?  I've been a life member since 1985, when I graduated
High School, I was a Jr member before that.  Not once have I ever received a call anywhere remotely like you describe,
and you calling people that disagree with you "newbs" only makes you sound less real.

What is your real agenda here?  You admit you were not there and didn't hear the phone call,
and you're reporting second hand information from your "livid" spouse.

Sorry man, it just has no credibililty at all.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I dont doubt for a minute the story is true.

The part about the UN coming to you house after your guns? Nahhhhhhh. They dont want your guns.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#20]
NRA only recently got serious about defending hunting. Up til then it was 2nd Amendment defense almost exclusivley.

They hound me. I usually politely say no. I send them some bucks now and then. I put up with the fund raising because they need money to fight the likes of George "Fucking Communist" Soros et al. Its really not that hard to do unless you have incredibly thin skin.

Don't want to donate? Tell them no and hang up.

GOA and Second Amendment Foundation are great organizations as well. I fund them too. Check out their web sites. Tons of great information for fighting antis.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I meant newbs to this site.

I've been a regular NRA member since 87 or so.

Just started my son last year.  The first stupid move they pulled was sending him some videos that he opened up and then had to buy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My son just got a call from some money sucker from the NRA and the first words out of their mouths after they confirmed it was him was what would he do if the UN came into our house and took all his guns.

I have never heard of the NRA calling with this sort of bullshit. Are you sure it was in fact the NRA & not either some joker or some other organization?

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#24]
OH MY GOD THE HORROR!  I think you should lay down in the fetal position and wait for a psychiatrist to treat you and your family.  You must have great strength just to survive this horrible travisty.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#25]
If you haven't gotten a call like this from the NRA then you aren't a member; or you are way down on the list. I've had similar calls to the one Halfcocked described and had the bullshit call where they get you on the line and then play a recording. I usually just hang up on them as soon as I know who it is.

This crap pisses me off and ensures that I'm not going to send any extra donations. They might just as well call up and say "Hey, we think you are an imbecile, send us some money!"  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have never heard of the NRA calling with this sort of bullshit. Are you sure it was in fact the NRA & not either some joker or some other organization?

I got a call about four nights ago and the guy said said "Hi. This is Earl from the NRA..."  I cut him off and said I'm not interested, thank you and hung up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Did he at least provide them with the correct answer:

"Start shootin' mother fuckers in blue helmets"
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I remember when they sent out registered letters and it was just to ask for money. I am a member of the NRA and tolerate the fund raising because we need all the lobbying we can get. More members is more strength. I send money to GOA also. At least they do send cards to mail Congress and my representives do respond on the issues from many of the cards.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I never get called because when I signed up I was smart enough to not give them my phone number For you people that don't like them I have one question:

Tell me how we would be better off as guns owners without the NRA ?

We probably wouldn't even be allowed to own semi-autos if the NRA didn't exist
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I worked at the NRA Headquarters in Fairfax for the last year, only reason I left them is to start work as a auto tech since that is what I am going to school for.  Having seen the organization from the inside I can give a few insights.

1.  If you dont want to be called or mass mailed, call us and tell us.  You get put on a do not solicite list and while it doesnt get rid of all the mailings it does cut down on about 80% of them.  You can also ask to have your number taken off your records.  We are not offended by these requests.  Though strangly I have never been a target of any of these mailings or phone calls.

2.  So you dont like how the NRA is run?  Do you realize that it is still a "Club" organization?  This means you get a say in who you want to be in office.  This means you get a say in how you want it run.  There is this thing called voting that you have a right to do as a NRA member.  There is another thing you can do as member, become more active in the organization.  Each state has representatives that you can contact and they can tell you exactly how to get more involved and if you feel it needs to be done, change how things are run.  You can do all this from your home state too, no need to come to this rats nest (Washington DC).  

3.  I think the biggest weekness that I saw while I worked at the NRA is how the left hand does not know what the right is doing.  There are about 5 major departments in the NRA, with a few sub-departments in each.  None of them talk to each other, mainly because (as I see it) they have been infested with the mentality of the DC area.  If communication between the departments could increase it would greatly improve the effectiveness of the NRA.  

I am a card carring member and proud of it.  I think that they are doing a great deal of good, but like any large organization there is some bad with it.  But the good well out ways the bad any day of the week and twice on sundays.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Im a Proud Owner of many fine Black Rifles.

The NRA and alot of Pro-gun Senators ensured the AWB expired. Now my rifles are legal with whatever damn stock or Flash hider I put on them.

The NRA has had my support from that day forward.  $30 to help secure your rights ever year is nothing compared to what it would cost if there ever is another AWB.

FREE
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Let's see...

S. 397 just passed.
The AWB is dead.
No .50BMG ban.
The NRA moved its convention to tell an anti-gun city to fuck off.
Kennedy, Schumer, Boxer, Lautenberg, Clinton, Kerry, McCarthy and the usual cast of fuckfaces hasn't stuck it to us ONCE in five years.

Yeah. Fuck the NRA. They're useless.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I agree, I wish they'd adopt diff tactics.  I feel cheap every time I go to mailbox.  But it;s the best we got.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I agree tmleadr03 about the good out weighing the bad.

I sent them a letter a couple of years ago expressing my disdain with there mailing campains.  I would get four identical letters to me, with as many variations on my name.

You would think they would have gotten the hint by now about pissing members off.

If it wasn't required for high power shooting competitions, there were a couple of times I would have dropped after they do stupid shit like this.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#36]
that wasn't the NRA... that was Lippo calling.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Let's see...

S. 397 just passed.
The AWB is dead.
No .50BMG ban.
Kennedy, Schumer, Boxer, Lautenberg, Clinton, Kerry, McCarthy and the usual cast of fuckfaces hasn't stuck it to us ONCE in five years.

Feinstein, Boxer, Clinton, Schumer, Durbin, Kennedy and the rest of them all despise the NRA with an unmeasurable degree of hatred. Therefore I must love and support  the NRA because I strive to do the exact opposite of the above mentioned scumbags.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted: what would he do if the UN came into our house and took all his guns.

Of course, our proud "defenders" at the NRA would be negotiating a "Compromise deal" with the security council where we could keep our guns, but have to surrender all our ammo.

They'd call it a "moral victory"

The folks over at GOA and JFPO would be sandbagging the windows and digging in!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Let's see...

S. 397 just passed.
The AWB is dead.
No .50BMG ban.

I'm not saying they're useless.  Please quote that part from one of my posts above if I missed something that I may have typed.

I'm just saying, and the point I'm trying to make is, I think they would have even more members, hence even more suport and cash, if they didn't come off as jack asses.  I hardly think I am the only one they pissed off...and even then it was not so much for what they said, but more for it providing just one more bullet the wife has now to use against this "agenda" of mine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#40]
NICE!!!!

FREE

Quoted:
Let's see...

S. 397 just passed.
The AWB is dead.
No .50BMG ban.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I called once and ask them to quite sending me junk mail.

That was 9 years ago. Never a phone call or junk mail.

So STFU or join the brady bunch
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#42]
SBMQ
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Gee, that funny I did get the UN call, So I don't think the story is BS. But how would the person know the the kid was 17, he didn't. no big deal. My son is 15 and belongs to GOA,JPFO and the NRA. My son also understands what is goin on with gun ownership, and the fight that we all have. His history teacher is one of the few teachers out  there, that taught, The real cause of the genocide.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let's see...

S. 397 just passed.
The AWB is dead.
No .50BMG ban.

Feinstein, Boxer, Clinton, Schumer, Durbin, Kennedy and the rest of them all despise the NRA with an unmeasurable degree of hatred. Therefore I must love and support  the NRA because I strive to do the exact opposite of the above mentioned scumbags.

I support the NRA, am a member, and appreciate all they do.  I understand why they hit us up all the time (though I do not like it).  The same reason all conservative groups hit us up all the time.  We have no global benefactor like the UN, hollywierd, George Soros, etc.  It's up to us...the real grass roots.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Let's see...

S. 397 just passed.
The AWB is dead.
No .50BMG ban.

+1,000,000
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Uhh, I got the same call. Not once, but twice. They started ranting about how if I didn't donate money that the UN would take our guns away. It was in the evening while I was having dinner with my family the first time. It really pissed me off and I told them so. Their response on the phone, "so do you still want to donate?".
That really took the cake.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Tell me how we would be better off as guns owners without the NRA ?

We probably wouldn't even be allowed to own semi-autos if the NRA didn't exist

+1
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm still at a loss why you anyone would give them a valid phone number in the first place?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#49]
The only thanks owed to the NRA is due to them not entirely losing more of our rights most recently.

Let's not forget their NRA's bend-overs:

'86 FOPA - Machine Gun Amendment
Import Ban
Sporting Arms Controls
etc.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Interesting. I don't think those are fully sanctioned calls, I think they may be profiteers who purchased a mailing list and are BS'ing.

I've been an NRA member for a long time. A Life member, and then an Endowment life member.

I voluntarily give money periodically to NRA-ILA, the NJ Association of Rifle & Pistol Clubs, and other related firms.

Many of y family members are NRA members in different states across the country.

Not one of us has ever gotten a solicitation phone call, and while I'm sure some people get them, I wonder how many storied are embellishments by trolls trying to undermine the NRA.

If I do get a call, I'll ask for their number to call them back, the name of their firm, and if they'll mind holding while I contact NRA member services to confirm that they're really a sanctioned fundraising effort.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top