Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 3:25:27 PM EDT
Breaker only trips to a midpoint, not going all the way to "off". Resistance is felt in the breaker when trying to reset it, considerable force is required to go to "off". Switching back on is easy, but only lasts for a day and a half, maybe two.

Temp of heater is "low".

Ideas? Circuit breaker bad? How are those replaced if so?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a bad breaker, turn off power at top and pop it out, put a new one in.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Zactly how does one "pop one out"?

I've pulled on it, but nothing happenned.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
what kind of service pannel is it? square D, homlite, GE
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#4]
2 possibilities.

Element in water heater may be getting bad.  That would likely trip the breaker on the water heater first.  Have you cleaned the sediments (lime or calcium) out of the water heater?

You may just have a bad breaker.  Those are easy to change yourself.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Zactly how does one "pop one out"?

I've pulled on it, but nothing happenned.

Screw driver on the edge of it, pry at an angle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#6]
How old is it? If the lower element is covered in sediment you'll have one element heating the water and the other overheating in the sediment. The result is usually low water temp. and thrown breakers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#7]
IM me with the brand name of your panel before you try to "pop out" the breaker.

While it can be done. there are several steps to be performed first... parts to be removed and various safety measures before they can be taken out.

Try checking the heater for internal crud. How old is it?

BTW - you should always switch a breaker to OFF before trying to reset it. If you just push it back to ON you can have it blow up on you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
IM me with the brand name of your panel before you try to "pop out" the breaker.

While it can be done. there are several steps to be performed first... parts to be removed and various safety measures before they can be taken out.

Try checking the heater for internal crud. How old is it?

BTW - you should always switch a breaker to OFF before trying to reset it. If you just push it back to ON you can have it blow up on you.

EVERYTHING he said +1
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#9]

I have never heard of this and I've been in this business a long time .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top