Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 3:05:11 PM EDT
I'm doing some technical interviews for a position at my employer's main office.

After a phone interview, and an intro by a VP or higher in IT, we usually subject the interviewee to an open panel question session by the 3-4 of the most senior technical people in the subject matter area.

Today we had a candidate who shone on the phone interview but failed miserably in the face to face. Not just nervousness, but complete lack of knowledge.

Since I did the phone interview with another senior person, I'm assuming it was because the candidate was looking up answers during the phone interview on their computer.

My question is this: If someone misrepresents their capabilities during a phone interview, and during the FTF it turns out they are 0% qualified for the position within 5 minutes, how long are you obliged to keep interviewing them? I had four pages of questions to ask but after a minute in I knew the person could not answer any of them.

My coworkers kept asking very general and non-technical questions for 30 minutes to be polite.

If I was in the interviewee's position I'd like to know I was not in the running and go home. Then again I wouldn't misrepresent my abilities either. Embellish, maybe, but not make stuff up.

Kick them to the curb after 5 minutes or keep interviewing for politeness?

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Kick 'em to the curb once it becomes apparent that they're not qualified. It's rude to waste their time and your coworkers' time otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Politely inform them that it would be a waste of both parties time to continue with the interview. Wish them the best of luck, and show 'em the door.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Politely inform them that it would be a waste of both parties time to continue with the interview. Wish them the best of luck, and show 'em the door.

Yes. It can be done professionally. No need to be rude, but no need to waste any more time, either.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. It can be done professionally. No need to be rude, but no need to waste any more time, either.

+1. Don't spit in their face, but it can be understood that everybody knows they're clueless.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont waste their time or yours.  Be firm but fair.  If it is clear that they are not worth continuing the interview, cut them loose.  I am sure managment doesnt like you wasting 30 minutes interviewing dead end road.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#6]
If she's hot, ask her what her stance is on sexual harassment? Then ask for her phone number & what guns she owns?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top