Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2005 2:35:24 PM EDT

Carlos Owens Site

Americans in their 20's and 30's will be immediately familiar with Alaskan inventor Carlos Owens' project -- he's building a real-life version of "mecha" -- a gigantic exoskeleton that emerged from Japanese anime during the 1980's to appear in the USA on cartoons and comics, such as "Robotech", "The Transformers", as well the "MechWarrior" videogames.
Mecha Closeup Photos
Closeup of the hydraulic cylinders being used as muscle-actuators. A flattened tire-tread on a jointed foot-unit provides cushioning support. A frontal view of the mech, still under construction. Carlos Owens shown at the top of the scaffolding. The mecha head-unit: this is where sensors will be mounted.

Owens eschewed the "cutting-edge" technologies like artificial polymer-based muscles for some real muscle: a hydraulic system powered by an internal combustion engine, and capable of producing enormous strength comparable to that found in heavy-duty construction equipment and forklifts. His design has excellent fuel-efficiency, lots of power, and can carry extra weight, making it an emerging platform for a variety of applications.

Carlos has already solved the basic challenges in making the device work: the heavy load-capacity of the hydraulic components means that he can refine the mecha on-demand for specialty applications without worry about increased weight: he's far enough along that once he fires up the engine, he can already fully move the arms and hands -- the next step becomes getting the mech to walk, and eventually to jump.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody seems to care....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I care. Where can I get two. One is no good, you need two so that you can fight with them.

But I do hate those non-descriptive subject lines.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Sweet!

Can I have a mini-gun mounted on the shoulder of mine?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I care. Where can I get two. One is no good, you need two so that you can fight with them.

But I do hate those non-descriptive subject lines.

When he get the funds, he plans to build a few "prototypes" and a ring for them to fight. He wants to have other people built theirs and fight them too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sweet!

Can I have a mini-gun mounted on the shoulder of mine?

The one pictured is in line to get a flamethrower on it, I see no reson why you can't put a minigun on.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw an interview with the guy just the other day while I was channel surfing.

Very cool shit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nobody seems to care....

How surprising.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
What, no chainsaw?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Let me know when he can build this.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I saw an interview with the guy just the other day while I was channel surfing.

Very cool shit.

He was on AOTS on G4 not to long ago, thats where I heard about it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope it doesn't end up walking faster than my tractor does driving down the street at a 4MPH.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I would like to see that go up against MecaStrisand. I think a minigun would force it backwards unto it back if it was on the shoulders. But if it works I only see them getting better.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
he can already fully move the arms and hands -- the next step becomes getting the mech to walk, and eventually to jump.

Jumping isn't that much of a problem.

Landing will be.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Anybody got a pic of the mech defending Zion in the Matrix?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top