Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 2:33:46 PM EDT
I'm travelling to Tokyo.....er, planning to travel to Tokyo and I normally fly Northwest for any Pacific travel.  I'm kinda nervous flying in a couple of weeks when their wrench monkey's are on strike.

Does anyone else fly Northwest and would you be concerned about delays and god-forbid any mechanical failures occuring at this moment in time considering the wrench monkey strike?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Perfectly safe. I'll even hold your guns for you while you are gone.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it might be more dangerous using the term "wrench monkey".
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Just look at it this way...

You will be flying over large bodies of water, really fast, your death will be quick and painless.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sitting on a 500 credit from NWA right now.  I decided to buy a ticket from AA for my trip Sunday to Seattle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#5]
We knuckle draggers take offense to the term "wrench monkey."
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I use the term with the greatest affection.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Any other thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
We knuckle draggers take offense to the term "wrench monkey."

+1
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:51:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Awwww, did I hurt your feelers?  You get "offended" too easily, kinda like a bleeding heart liberal.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:23:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Usually wrench monkies aren't smart enough to be offended.

But to answer your question.  Don't do it, does the TV show "lost" ring any bells.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:23:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm flying on Northwest on my trip to Kansas City next week. I tried for three days to get the corporate travel weenies to use a different carrier, but they said they had to go with what was cheapest.  Not only that, but to fly from Baltimore to Kansas City on Northwest, I have to fly to Minneapolis and change planes on the way out. Worse, I get to change planes in Detroit (with a 3 hour layover) on the way back.  I checked with Expedia, and they saved a whole $75 by putting me through this crap.  For $75 more I could have a direct flight on another carrier.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:32:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Just had this conversation with a buddy of mine and his brother. His brother is a mechanic for American.

When I asked him directly would he fly NWA, he kept skirting the issue/answer. His beautiful wife was close with his kids, so I aksed him, "Would you let your family fly on Northwest"? "Hell no" he replied.

Enough for me.

Dont forget, management oft times attempts to cover strikers. I know how well they drive concert trucks (5 on their side in a month), I dont think I wanna fight gravity on the old, "Its ok".

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:34:29 AM EDT
[#13]
carefull there bucko, you don't want to be another one of those asshole flyers who doesn't think about aircraft safety until they're delayed for a mechanical at the gate.

remember, you can't just pull over to the side of the road in an airplane at fl350.(35000 ft).
Pilots only fly the plane. the FAA Licensed Technicians help keep the plane airworthy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:45:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Why take the chance that one of the line crossing replacement mechanic's didn't leave his monkey wrench in the motor somewhere?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:57:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Most of the replacements are mechancis from NWA that were laidoff after the 9/11 slowdown.  They are recovering from mild sabotage.  Lots of keys lost or broken off in equipment and jetways.  Also remember a large portion of the strikers are the cleaners and not the actual mechanics.  

Without the support of the pilots and fight attendents, the mechanics basically have already lost their jobs.

From my understanding this particular union is not loved by other unions hence the lack of support.  And has raided other unions for members.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top