Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2005 1:58:50 PM EDT
Will every businessman someday once again be wearing a fedora with his grey flannel suit five days a week (like in the future movie "Gattaca"), or is this fashion trend dead forever?

Kinda like this guy but without the horns...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Will every businessman someday once again be wearing a fedora with his grey flannel suit five days a week (like in the future movie "Gattaca"), or is this fashion trend dead forever?

Unfortunately, no...we live in a very informal time, and it is only getting worse. For that matter, many women don't wear skirts or dresses, ever. Society every year is lacking more and more in class...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about the fedora, but if the leisure suit ever comes back, I'm drinking the Kool-Aid.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Fedora core 4? I'm so confused!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]

DAMN!

The ladies still dig Escher prints right?  Tell me that much!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe in subcultures (like Rockabilly, Goths, etc.).  Those who live (today) like they're in the Rat Pack of the 60's.

ETA: I dig it.  Put on a suit, tip the hat (a la Sinatra), pick up your martini by the stem, and enjoy your cigar.  The classic man style.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't know about the fedora, but if the leisure suit ever comes back, I'm drinking the Kool-Aid.

That's a BIG 10:4!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm waiting for the Pork-Pie Hat to come back in fashon...

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No, but in related news the propellor beanie is about to explode back on the scene like a refried beans and natural light cocktail! Stop the hating, start participating!

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#9]
The fedora will never be accepted by mainstream society again.

However, it is a timeless piece that, if worn properly, can still be worn today, but 99.9% of us lack the appropraite style/attitude to carry it off without looking like a gigantic ass.

SBG
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Every now and then, I find a fedora at a garage sale or someplace and wear it until it gets lost or blows over the side.

They're kind of cool.

About 15 years ago, i used to occasionally wear a double breasted pin stripe suit with a black shirt and white tie to go out on the town in.  

I tried to enter a club carrying a violin case and they wouldn't let me in until I showed them there was really a violin in the case.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#11]
i have one but then i wear a low (coachman style) top hat every day too
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Unfortunately, no...we live in a very informal time, and it is only getting worse. For that matter, many women don't wear skirts or dresses, ever. Society every year is lacking more and more in class...

+1
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~iwking/ph-self-fedora.jpg

DAMN!

"Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh? Oh, it looks good on you though. "
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#14]
damn, I thought this was going to be a linux thread.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
"Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh? Oh, it looks good on you though. "

R.I.P. Rodney.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#16]
The fedora is a nice look on most guys.  It's a classy hat.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Depending on the environment in which it's worn, I hope not.

Back when I was in college you'd see the occasional cheesedick 20 year-old walking around an urban campus with a fedora and a duster.  GHEY.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The fedora will never be accepted by mainstream society again.

However, it is a timeless piece that, if worn properly, can still be worn today, but 99.9% of us lack the appropraite style/attitude to carry it off without looking like a gigantic ass.

SBG

+ 1
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#19]
No I think they are gone from mainstream wear.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Depending on the environment in which it's worn, I hope not.

Back when I was in college you'd see the occasional cheesedick 20 year-old walking around an urban campus with a fedora and a duster.  GHEY.  

Or a zoot suite, equally gay.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Alot of bald guys in this area insist on wearing their Raiders of the Lost Ark hats.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I prefer bowler style hats myself...

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#23]
the homicide dicks in dc wear them. they're actually called "the hat squad" and the older guys look really retro cool in them.

i love film noire so i love hats. never wear one though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll wear it regadless, I dont give a damn
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

DAMN!

I have three hats in that style.

A khaki cotton Stetson for summer, a tin cloth Filson for rainy days, and a loden wool Franz Bittner for cold and snowy days.

It takes confidence to wear a real hat.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I had my picture taken in my freshman year in college with a couple of other students - I was the one in the fedora and tiger stripe field jacket.

My grandmother called, and swore  that it could be a picture of my grandfather circa 1940's.

Unfortunately, I neglected my (dad's) hats, and they're gone now.  

Of course, so's he.

If it works for your sense of style, wear it.

F*ck the "fashion sense" they sell on TV.  Being at ease will come through more than a price tag or trendiness.

(like the BS about neckties being uncomfortable... hey dufus, buy a shirt with a bigger neck, and practice not "Rodneying" your outfit. )
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#27]
So hard to find a quality haberdasher since the Truman administration.....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
So hard to find a quality haberdasher since the Truman administration.....

Noggin Tops
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Is the fedora ever coming back?

I REALLY hope so.

Then I could dress like this guy and not look like a total geek.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm think you have aged yourself with the "grey flannel suit" reference.
I wonder how many here under fifty have a clue as to the origin of that phrase?
Thanks for the memory. I knew Sloan Wilson, and savored his writing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Man I hope so !
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
the older guys look really retro cool in them.

Agreed. They are the only ones that do.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I still have my grand dad's. I treat it like a relic of one of the greatest men I ever knew.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the older guys look really retro cool in them.

Agreed. They are the only ones that do.

There are exceptions, though...

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#35]
NO.

Two recent Fedora wearers;

Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson Superfan, B.J. Hickman

'nuff said
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm think you have aged yourself with the "grey flannel suit" reference.
I wonder how many here under fifty have a clue as to the origin of that phrase?
Thanks for the memory. I knew Sloan Wilson, and savored his writing.

LOL, thanks. I was wondering if anyone would make that connection with the book in question. Believe it or not, I'm only 20...but I wish I was born in the 40's. Actually, I take you're "aged" comment as a huge compliment. I envy - despite all they/you had to go through - members of this (and previous) generations.

BTW, do you mean you acutally knew the man Sloan Wilson personally? Again, I envy you...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I dunno, I see those "pimp suits"  sometimes and people wear them with them.

Usually with a feather though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#38]
You have to be the right type to carry off a Fedora, or a GOOD western hat.

Michael Jackson--NOT good.
Robert Mitchem--GOOD.

Typical yuppie trying to look like his Dad--NOT good.
Humphrey Bogart--GOOD.

I have two hats that I wear when appropriate...a Brown Raider's type fedora that's well used, slightly sweat stained and battered.

My favorite thing is to go onto a hard hat area wearing my McDonald "T" aluminum full brim hard hat.
All the guys wearing those cheesy plastic hard hats look like a bunch of gays.

Within minutes I'm getting quiet requests to sell it.  No chance.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

What was that dude called?? Was it HandJob?? Or something like that..
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, I was at a starbucks the other day and I saw some repulsive social reject parasite wearing one of those pantyhose things on his head that black guys wear, and a fedora over that. Funny thing is he was trying to talk to some reasonably hot chick. Maybe this idiot knows something we don't?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I guess i never really understood why hats went out of style.  They keep the sun and rain off the head and out of the eyes.  In the winter, they help keep us warm.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.stokeparkclub.com/history/images/film3.JPG

What was that dude called?? Was it HandJob?? Or something like that..

OddJob

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#43]
"I guess i never really understood why hats went out of style"

Styles change, often quickly.

In the 1930's Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert made the movie "It Happened One Night".
In the movie Gable took his shirt off, and he wasn't wearing an undershirt like ALL men did those days.
INSTANTLY all men stopped wearing undershirts, and companies making mens undershirts nearly went broke.

The end of the hat in America came with John Kennedy.  He didn't wear a hat, to emphasize his boyish good looks versus the hated 5 o'clock shadow Richard Nixon, and the man's hat DIED in that instant.

The hat never did recover in America, unless you include the "ball cap" with that crappy plastic "one size fits all" band that totally ruined it, and now days people can't even wear that right way around.

It's kind of funny to see a room full of men wearing ball caps, when someone wearing a fedora walks in.
Within minutes they're all looking self-conscious, like a bunch of kids when an adult enters.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#44]
I wear this one when I'm doing outdoor activity:

It's a Tilley hat, kinda floppy, but can be somewhat shaped.  It's great at keeping the sun off your face and neck.  I'm thinking about picking up another similar in a coffee/mocha color to be a little more dressy.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:50:35 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I guess i never really understood why hats went out of style.  They keep the sun and rain off the head and out of the eyes.  In the winter, they help keep us warm.  

Thank Kennedy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Too hot in Florida .  I love them but have to make do with straw or cotton like these...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank Kennedy.

Thank Kennedy

Hats haven't gone out of style.  Any given day look around and you'll see ball caps everywhere.  Cowboy hats are also still common enough to not illicit too many odd looks outside of major urban centers.  What's gone out of style is professional looking mens headwear.

There's a place called "The Hat Shop" near me that carries some very nice fedoras.  Damned expensive though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:44:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Hats from any decade other than the one you're living in are a costume. Neato if you're a New York fag, I guess.

Always loved the wide brimmed outdoors hats on bald guys. Yup, buy that little fishing vest and the digger hat, you sure look rugged, Crocodile Baldee. Get back in your Miata and drive back to the burbs, you're nauseating me.

I just wear a cap, or a boonie if I'm working in the sun. Screw playing dress up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:32:51 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Hats from any decade other than the one you're living in are a costume. Neato if you're a New York fag, I guess.

Always loved the wide brimmed outdoors hats on bald guys. Yup, buy that little fishing vest and the digger hat, you sure look rugged, Crocodile Baldee. Get back in your Miata and drive back to the burbs, you're nauseating me.

I just wear a cap, or a boonie if I'm working in the sun. Screw playing dress up.

You're just bragging because you have lots of hair and it isn't grey yet - kid

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:08:22 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

You're just bragging because you have lots of hair and it isn't grey yet - kid

You apparently haven't seen me! You could cut off all my hair and stuff it in a 30.06 shell, I've got so little.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top