Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 1:39:52 PM EDT
The convergance tubes are lined up okay, do you think is possible that the inside is dusty?  There is probably some dog hair in there from our boxer.  The set is a couple years old, is there any way to clean anything on the inside?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]

I didn't know this until recently but there is oil in each tube to keep it from over-heating. This oil is specialy made just for this purpose but after a time it can grow mold in it. You may need to get it serviced or open up the back and check it out yourself.

Keep us informed !

Jake
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know how the Phillips sets are, but my old RCA projection TV is pretty straight forward on keeping clean.  Just pull the back cover off and there are 3 big "tube guns".........but be very careful with them.  Dusting, bumping them, etc.  

I would try googling how how to clean those "guns" correctly.  I haven't cleaned mine in a while, but seems like I used a special spray foam to clean them.  Maybe someone here a little more knowledgeable can help with this one.  

But yeah, at least pop the cover off and vacuum!!!

vmax84

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't remember the TV tech's name, he posts here and I think he is from Texas.
He turned me on to these quick and easy tips for rear projection TV's.

Make sure that both sides of the "screen" (it's actually a lense) are clean, clean in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.

Open the TV up to access the "inside" of the box, this is where the bottom cover (cathode ray guns) project onto a mirror (top or there abouts inside of the box) which then project onto the inside lense.

Clean the inside of the box. Cobwebs, dust, dog/cat hair, whatever. Use a vaccume cleaner and compressed air.  I was able to use windex on the mirror as on mine it's one solid piece of mirrored glass.  

Make sure that the inside of the box is black and that it is sealed so no outside light sources can leak inside.

Your projection guns "SHOULD" have a protective cover on them.

Mine did.

I took the vacumme cleaner and a dust wand and removed the dust, then I used compressed air and blew the loose crap off and then finally I used windex to clean the gun covers.

Reassemble it and try it out.

I have a Magnavox 48 inch rear projection TV that's 13 years old, at about 7 years the picture was washed out and faded, at 9 it was blurry and very dim with white spots on the screen.

I had made 6 military moves with it across the USA with it, I figured it was time to buy a new one.

At 11 years the picture was finally crappy enough that I was going to drop some gun money on a new TV.

I posted here and I was given the above advice.

After I cleaned it the picture was sharp and bright, and it was very crisp.
The only problem was the white spots.

It was explained to me that the cooling fluid in the guns had probably grown mold inside of them and needed to be cleaned and have the fluid replaced.

This is a "DANGEROUS" evolution, so I spent the money on a professional and had him do it.

He spent almost three hours removing the green and blue guns, cleaning them and replacing the fluid.

It's a simple job to do as long as you understand the innards of a TV.

I don't.  

I think it's the red gun tube that doesn't grow mold, so he didn't replace that fluid.

The crap that came out of the gun reservior was NASTY and smelled like ass!

My hint to you is that if you do have a "professional" come do your TV don't use his fluid.

The guy that did mine used a name brand coolant and was going to charge me $35 a bottle.
I did an internet search and found that I could mail order it for about $12 plus shipping.

Guess where he makes his money at.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.

I don't smoke but I am sure that the TV is full of dog hair, that crap gets everywhere and sticks to all my electronics.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:36:26 AM EDT
[#6]
bump to see if anyone else knows anything about cleaning the inside of a rear projection bigscreen.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:46:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had two rear projection TV's.  No amount of cleaning ever helped, inside or out.  I was told to just use a damp cloth for the screen.  They recommend a specific soap that will not harm the plastic.  Can't remember what it was.

I'll never own another rear projection.  I'll grant you I haven't owned any newer models, but they always seem to always end up looking blurry to me after awhile.  I've never seen one in anybody's home that didn't have a nice clear picture either, except when they are new.  Maybe they are better today though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:44:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Very interesting!  I have a 5 year old Mitsubishi 55" that is acting funny...when I turn it on, the picture is really distorted...looks like those old curved screens from the 60s.  It's out of focus, and the picture geometry is all screwed up.  Within 10 minutes, the picture is normal, and looks great.  

My basement is damp, I have a minor water problem...so I'm a very likely candidate for exactly what you're describing here.  Not to mention 5 years worth of cobwebs, cat hair, and dust etc.  

Well, I'll have to give this a whirl.  

Great tip...thanks!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top