Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2005 8:22:35 AM EDT
Some of you may remember the looter incident from last years hurricane season.

If not here is the short version.

We got hit and we without power and everyone running on generators. Generators are a big ticket theft item after a hurricane. Basically low lifes drive around listening for a hum, drop off some guys who unhook your generator and the truck picks them up after circling the block. By the time you wake up your generator is gone.

About 2am one night the phone rings and it is the girl next door calling us because there are some black guys in their back yard. So I get my shit together, grab the MP5 and head out the door. 2 other neighbors are also headed back their with handguns and shotguns.

We gave them quite the surprise and I chased them about a block or two through back yards. Didn't get them but they left a bloody t shirt on a fence and I assumed it would be enough for them not to come back. Later a crappy pickup truck drove around the block a few times as if he were looking for somebody (possibly his fellow lowlifes who were suppossed to have a generator at this point).

Anyway I'm outside doing some final prep for the storm we are gonna get and I swear I saw the exact same pickup truck with 3 homies inside it. They were cruising past at about 15-20mph and could have been scouting things out. I didn't get a plate number and I didn't get a close enough look at the occupants to recognize them. But I'm about 95% sure it was the same truck as we looked at it pretty close last year and if it made a third pass we were considering stoping it and asking what they were looking for.

So do I call it in? Almost doesn't seem like enough to justify it. Some sketchy details and a bunch of maybe's. Don't think they are gonna set up a stake out to catch these guys based upon any of that. At best it will be one item on a laundry list of things local cops are briefed about. Again the only thing I'm really certain about is the truck.

The other alternative is to bait these jackasses. A buddy of mine has a crap ass generator that is mostly unreliable that he keeps to run a few things in his garage. If we lose power we could set that up at a house where it is obvious and visible from the street and keep watch on it from nearby houses. The downside of course is a no show and we sit out in the rain all night.

ETA: It just occurred to me that we may not lose power long enough for generator use, or at all. These guys could simply be scouting for portable property knowing most owners won't go outside to investigate during a storm or even hear them. Generator bait might not work. I may have to put the VCR on the front porch again.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Go with the decoy, but give the handles a good coat of mace or superglue.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Go with the decoy, but give the handles a good coat of mace or superglue.  

And don't shoot em,  I can see the headlines now, "LOCAL GUN NUT SETS BAIT FOR A POOR HELPLESS MINORITY AND KILLS THEM"
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#4]
You can always call in a "suspicious vehicle."  Given the history they PD may be pretty interested.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Liberal use of caltrops can discourage tresspassers, especially at night. Punctures both tires and shoes. Leave a clear channel for yourself.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:35:16 AM EDT
[#6]
It couldn't hurt to call. A BOLO for the color, make and model and description of the occupants might be all it takes for them to get picked up. Especially now you know they're back in the area.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I'd say your chances of actually getting help from law enforcement, and chances are that if you did, they’d probably bitch at you for chasing them last year and owning firearms, anyway.  For some reason, around here the police aren’t even clear on whether or not private citizens are allowed to own firearms and knives.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You can always call in a "suspicious vehicle."  Given the history they PD may be pretty interested.

Good advice.  That on top of other calls the police might have received on the same guys, this might tie into more burgs or worse.  Even if you think it is insignificant, every little bit of info could help.  You would be surprised what citizen tips like this have led to.

I always try to stop and talk to residents to see what is shaking in my neighborhood.

NorCal  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#10]
True, it wouldn't hurt to place a call, just for the documentation.

I wouldn't bait them, though. Why ask for trouble? Just keep your eyes peeled instead. If anything happens, you have some paperwork to back it up. If not, then all's well.

Good luck BTW.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#11]
You know you want to lure them into a trap.  

eta: But it's always better to have a paper trail concerning such things.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If they run, they're dirtbags and need to be shot. If they don't run, they're well disciplined dirtbags, and they need ...

Well, you get the idea.

Yeah only a guilty man runs when some guy in genuine rhodesian camo with a submachinegun comes tear assing after him yelling "IBTL!"

ROFLMAO
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Call it in.

It makes your case of self-defense MUCH stronger if/when you finally DO have to draw down on them later on.

See my point about that here too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
If they run, they're dirtbags and need to be shot. If they don't run, they're well disciplined dirtbags, and they need ...

Well, you get the idea.

Yeah only a guilty man runs when some guy in genuine rhodesian camo with a submachinegun comes tear assing after him yelling "IBTL!"

ROFLMAO

It wasn't funny, until I pictured it.  And for some reason he had that green troll hair.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#15]
If you *know* they'll be back, and it would appear that's a good probability, set the bait and reel them in.  If they are out looking to steal generators (or targets of opportunity) that's what they will do, better to get them sooner than later.  Besides, if they got chased by several armed guys last time and they're stupid enough to come back to the same neighborhood again, they deserve to get caught.  Just don't let the "sting" operation blind you to other threats...

ETA:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Call.  You know they're gonna pull some shit somewhere in the next 24hrs.  At least if/when they get picked up (and they sound like real geniuses) there will be a record of them casing a neighborhood.

Side note: Every time there is a friggin storm coming or I hear a story like this - I SWEAR the next thing I'm gonna buy is NV and a bigger, meaner dog.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

edit-Personally I would just pull the shotgun news out of my pocket and point to the aimsurplus ad and ask "Can you get me an SKS for less than this?"

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#18]
When someone suspicious goes down my road I, which is a dead end I pull out the trruck and block the road and ask if they need any help.
I also hold my camera phone up as they pass (even if I don't block 'em), and make it obvious that I documented their visit.
When they are parked (I am close to the end) I do my best imitation of a felony stop with my q-beam.
Did this to one scummy looking guy who had a hunting rifle out on the seat and who knows what else....poaching probably, never saw again.

My flame suit is on (public road, ect.)....after I moved here thefts almost went away, and the drug addict crack heads know not topark down here anymore.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

edit-Personally I would just pull the shotgun news out of my pocket and point to the aimsurplus ad and ask "Can you get me an SKS for less than this?"

Really only worthwhile if you can get him to transfer a rifle for you from a distributor without one of those $#(@#&$ transfer fees.

;-)

Just kidding S.A.

I'd drop a dime on the suspicious vehicle thing and then stay prepared.  Don't bait, its bad mojo.  Let the cockroaches do what comes naturally, and then nail their asses.

Be safe.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I thought about that but the PDs are gonna discontinue patrols when winds get over 45 mph or there is flooding. Both of which are going to happen.

Which is why these aholes come out of the woodwork.

ETA: I'm gonna call it just to document.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Perhaps, when the truck goes by, you should ............... DRAW DOWN !!!    ????????????  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Fake generator IED.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, you get the idea.

Thanks I needed that. LMFAO.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Fake generator IED.

Didn't he fill an old computer with cement and leave it on his front porch once?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fake generator IED.

Didn't he fill an old computer with cement and leave it on his front porch once?  

Close. Broken VCR and crap computer monitor bolted to a small table on the front porch.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Close. Broken VCR and crap computer monitor bolted to a small table on the front porch.

All you needed was fish line tied to a bunch of tin cans.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#28]

The important thing is... have you offered the brazilian chicks a spot in the bunker?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fake generator IED.

Nobody's gonna claim you "trapped" those trolls into picking up a generator anchored in cement.  Now if you shoot them after baiting them you're in trouble.

What does FL law say about using deadly force to prevent looting and during emergencies?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#30]
go ahead and call it in.

If the cops don't do anything then you can always take care of it yourself. The mace and superglue sounds pretty good to me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The important thing is... have you offered the brazilian chicks a spot in the bunker?  

Good question
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top