Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2005 5:07:28 AM EDT
I've tried ribs a few times on the grill. Never had much success.
What I'm looking for is a quick "How to" doing ribs ont he grill. I think I usually have the heat too high, the outside ends up burned to hell before the inside gets done.

So, whats the secret to ribs on charcoal?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:09:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Boil them fuckers in beer first.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:18:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Boiling them is good if you're going to grill.

Best way is to slow cook them in a smoker. Coat them with plain old Plochman's yellow mustard and then coat with a dry rub spice mix. If you're not hip to making your own dry rubs, you can start with a store-bought seasoning mix. Emeril has some decent ones.

Slow cook them in a smoker grill with a drip pan filled with apple juice. Use soaked wood chips along with your charcoal. You do NOT want to put them over direct flame.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:23:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:23:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

BE GONE FOUL DEMON!!!!

Don't boil ribs.  Ever.  It's a crime against nature.

What kind of grill are you using?  If you are using a kettle-type grill, as opposed to a smoker, you will need to bank your coals against one side and put the meat on the opposite side.

Let your charcoal burn down to coals before putting the ribs on the grill.  Briquettes have a lot of fillers (clay, sawdust, etc.) that you want to burn off before you put the ribs near them.  I recommend using lump charcoal instead of briquettes.

Remove the membrane from the ribs.  Rub with worstershire sauce and Texas BBQ Rub.  Let the meat get up to room temperature while the fire burns down to coals.  If  you put meat straight from the fridge to the grill, you sometimes get a bitter taste on the meat.

Once the meat is on the pit, leave it alone.  Every time you open the lid, you are letting out heat and smoke.  The meat does not do the Charleston when you close the lid, leave it alone.

Keep your pit temperature at 225*.  Ribs are best when they are cooked low and slow.  Get a chimney starter so that you can get more coals ready without disturbing your coals.  Add more coals as needed.

Smoke for 3 hours (meat side up), then wrap the ribs in foil and put them back on the smoker for 2 more hours.  Then remove the ribs from the foil, add a glaze of Texas Pepper Jelly and put them back on the smoker for one more hour.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:30:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Boiling them is good if you're going to grill.

Best way is to slow cook them in a smoker. Coat them with plain old Plochman's yellow mustard and then coat with a dry rub spice mix. If you're not hip to making your own dry rubs, you can start with a store-bought seasoning mix. Emeril has some decent ones.

Slow cook them in a smoker grill with a drip pan filled with apple juice. Use soaked wood chips along with your charcoal. You do NOT want to put them over direct flame.

This man knows what he's talking about.  We remove the membrane on ours, soak them in beer for about an hour or so, then boil them for 30 or minutes then slowly grill them fuckers on a low low heat.  I'm trying Bens way next time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:32:02 AM EDT
[#6]
1.  Step one find a black man who can BBQ...  

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I just about fell over the first time somebody asked me if I boiled my ribs before cooking.  Hell no, don't boil ribs.
Listen to Beer Slayer and Photokirk.  Kirk's method is pretty close to what my family has been doing forever, and our ribs don't end up as leftovers.  Ever.
Boiling is for people that put cast iron in the dishwasher, eat instant grits, and buy decaf Somali Nut Muncher at Starbucks.
If you lack basic cooking skills, I suggest following tfod's advice.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#8]
The big secret is indirect heat.  Never put the ribs directly over live coals.

In my Weber kettle, I move the hot coals out to the edge in a big ring, so the middle of the grill gets no direct heat.  Cook covered with the vent open.  If it's still too hot, close down the vent some.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#9]
The first time I did ribs, I threw them on the grill until they were done.

They turned out tough.  VERY tough.

Then I asked around, and read a little.

I tried it again, and they were AWESOME!

Wal-Mart has an oval Rival CrockPot that is perfect.
It is programmable, which kicks ass for ribs.

I rubbed the ribs with a mix of sugar/salt/pepper/garlic & onion powder.

I put them in the crock so the bones arched up, away from the bottom.

I added a quarter cup of water, which wasn't enough to keep from completely evaporating.
A half cup will be used the next time.
Add the water to the bottom, as to not rinse the spice from the meat.

Tossed them in the crock for 10 hours on Low cook.  
(I know now that 6 hours would have probably sufficed)

When finished, they didn't have a whole lot of flavor.
So I might not use a rub at all the next time.

What people do here is personal preference.

Some will throw them on the grill with BBQ sauce, because the high temp will change the
flavor of the sauce.

What I did was brush on my favorite sauce, and microwave on low heat for a few minutes.

By the time it cooled enough to eat.....  My wife even agrees we don't need to
go to the local rib joint anymore.

So in review, what I will do the next time is:
Unwrap the ribs, throw them in the crock pot with a half cup of water,
set on low cook for 6 hours, and walk away.

When done, I'll coat with my BBQ sauce, and heat before I'm ready to eat.

Can't be any easier.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:40:33 AM EDT
[#10]
We bake them for hours at a low temp.  I think they are completely done.  Then we put them on the grill with barbeque sauce to scorch them a little and make 'em just right.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got to add some of this to my recipe book at home
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:42:55 AM EDT
[#12]
There's a different between grilling and barbequing.

Grilling is over an open flame. Sometimes you don't have the time (4-6 hours) to properly barbeque a slow cooked rack of pork. Open flame is okay, it doesn't make the greatest rack, but it's not downright hateful necessarily. Just tougher meat.

In that case, it is most certainly acceptable to boil the ribs in beer or some other acidic liquid prior to putting them on the direct flame. This is to ensure that the meat is completely, and evenly cooked through before finishing over open flame. Otherwise, your ribs are going to be completely charred black on the surface and raw in the middle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:48:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Go to the store and buy the pre-packaged Ribs in the refrigerated section.  It's great, they already have this great bbq sauce on them.  

Bring 'em home, bake in over for a few hours, on the grill to crisp them up.  Ready to eat.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:51:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Weber kettle charcoal grill.

So, assuming I go on the grill from start to finish, whats the approximate cook time? If I wanted ribs for dinner, should I start them at 4 or should I start them now?

On a side note, anyone know how I can attach a thermometer to the grill lid? Can I buy something at Lowes or Ace Hardware that can be used on the grill? I was thinking of drilling a small hole in the lid then attaching a thermometer through the hole.....Ideas?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#15]
IM incoming.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#16]
boil them then grill them
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#17]
this thread is making the baby Jesus cry.................repent, sinners.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
boil them then grill them

Boil them to "cook", grill them to "season"
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have a Weber kettle charcoal grill.

So, assuming I go on the grill from start to finish, whats the approximate cook time? If I wanted ribs for dinner, should I start them at 4 or should I start them now?

On a side note, anyone know how I can attach a thermometer to the grill lid? Can I buy something at Lowes or Ace Hardware that can be used on the grill? I was thinking of drilling a small hole in the lid then attaching a thermometer through the hole.....Ideas?

Start them about 6 or 7 hours before you plan to eat.   Good BBQ takes time.

If you want a really good pit thermometer, look at Ashcrofts.  Very accurate, easy to read.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#21]
What temp and how long should they be pre-cooked in the oven.

(sorry guys, I dont have a charcoal grill)
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:20:24 AM EDT
[#22]
BBQ sauce and plenty of it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1 NEVER BOIL RIBS!

3-2-1 method

1. Set water smoker to get a consistent 225.
2. Take ribs and remove membrane
3. Rub ribs with favorite dry rub
4. Place ribs in smoker for 3 hours un-covered
5. Remove ribs, rerub and wrap in 2 layers of alumium foil
6. Place ribs back in smoker with for 2 hours in foil
7. Open foil and return ribs to smoker for last hour (you can glaze them with a pepper jelly here if you want)
8. ENJOY!

If you are doing baby backs you can reduce the time to 2.5-1.5-.5.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:44:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Boiled.....smoked.....3-2-1....whatever the method I AM GETTING REALLY HUNGRY!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Oh, ribs are the easiest thing in the world to prepare.  I just had several racks this weekend.  It does take about 24 hours if you want it done right, though.  Here's how you do it:  Click here, fill out your information and by tomorrow, you'll have the best ribs on the planet!  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Oh, ribs are the easiest thing in the world to prepare.  I just had several racks this weekend.  It does take about 24 hours if you want it done right, though.  Here's how you do it:  Click here, fill out your information and by tomorrow, you'll have the best ribs on the planet!  

Hmm, they sure do look better than the Kroger pre-cooked I swear by.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#28]
1. Become really good buddies with TexRdNec.

2. Don't forgot the beer.

I've yet to experience it myself, but I've heard the fucker can barbecue.

ETA: And when I say "fucker", I only mean that in the most endearing way.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
1.  Step one find a black man who can BBQ...  

Just another case of the man trying to keep the brother down.

Try this, any kinda dry rub on ribs.  Work it in good.  Put on a cookie sheet and over tightly with foil.  In the oven at 300 degress for 2 hours.  Then finish on the grill for about 10 - 15 mins for some nice hash marks.

Mmmmm, mmmmmm, good.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#30]
rub 'em with dry spices, let 'em sit in the fridge overnight, put 'em in a smoker and use mesquite or hickory wood. Don't let the smoker get over about 150-175°. Leave them in for the long haul. Hours. check it every hour or so to make sure there's fresh wood to burn, done when they pull from bone easy. They're ready to eat then, or you can put some bbq sauce on them and put them on a HOT grill and just get the sauce charred up a little bit. They're awesome that way.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#31]
step 1:  find yourself a pit...................

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
1. Become really good buddies with TexRdNec.

2. Don't forgot the beer.

I've yet to experience it myself, but I've heard the fucker can barbecue.

ETA: And when I say "fucker", I only mean that in the most endearing way.

why thank you

two points though:

1.  good call on the beer but anybody is welcome that's hungry
2.  no need to watch your language around me
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm hungry now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'm hungry now.

this should help..............

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#35]
tag
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Someone ban this guy, he used the "B" word.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beer?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

You're on the watch list
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Tag to read later
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beer?  

"Boil" oh there.... you made me go and say it! I'll say ten Hail Mary's and do 50 pushups.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Boiling is for pasta not ribs.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#42]
I can't believe somebody said boil them or cook them in a crock pot
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

It is a sad day on ARFcom.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i stopped reading when it started to get painful but i believe somebody even mentioned using that, ummm.......................help me out here, what's the thing your wife uses to cook a casserole or bake cookies with?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i stopped reading when it started to get painful but i believe somebody even mentioned using that, ummm.......................help me out here, what's the thing your wife uses to cook a casserole or bake cookies with?

A kitchen?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#46]
The grill I have sucks ass (cheapo gas grill), but it was free.  It's not up to doing ribs justice, but I did find a darn good recipe for ribs-in-the-oven.  Works good too on rainy days or when you don't feel like cranking up the bbq.

Basically, you pat a big dose of dry rub on the ribs and wrap them up in hevy-duty foil and refrigerate them for 1-2 hours.  Mix the liquid and nuke it for a minute in the microwave.  Then you open the foil up and pour in the braising liquid and re-seal the foil.  Then you just bake at 225 for 2 1/2 hours.  Drain the rib packs into a saucepan and reduce the liquid to a thick syrup over high heat.  Brush some on top of the ribs and broil for a couple of minutes to brown the glaze.  Then serve with the rest of the sauce for dipping or just put it on the ribs.  It's delicious, and you don't even have to go outside.

Dry Rub:
8 tablespoons packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons kosher salt
4 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Liquid:
1 cup white wine
2 tablespoons vinegar (white wine vinegar works great)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 chopped garlic cloves

That's probably enough rub for 5-6 slabs of babybacks.  If you don't use it all, you can save it for next time.  The braising liquid is enough for two racks.

Oven ribs are better than no ribs.  
I'll probably get a bbq grill/smoker for Christmas.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Nothing wrong with the crock pot.  

Just don't add water.  Or if any, just a very small amount.

But boiling?  No way.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Guys, what temp and how long in oven before meeting the grill.

Wrapped in foil or naked in the oven?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#49]
where do you people keep coming from?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing wrong with the crock pot.  

Just don't add water.  Or if any, just a very small amount.

But boiling?  No way.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top