Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 8:39:38 PM EDT
you know the mil dot chart thing?? I have never used a mil dot scope but just bought one and am thinking of getting the thing, any comments?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup and its really damn close! Thanks Stealth for the b-day present 2 years ago!

Im very impressed with it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah mine works pretty well
better than be doing the math
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't seem like you're getting much for $30.
It's worth every penny.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]
does the book also talk about how to do the math and use the mil dot and all that? I am using it for my super sniper scope... help
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's worth every penny.

You know, I just bought the Bushnell 10 x 40 3200 Elite and I would like to have such a card. What, where, when, and how much?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah the book comes with a worksheet  but just read the slide rule unless you are a total moron  its is pretty self explaintory(sp?)
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's worth every penny.

You know, I just bought the Bushnell 10 x 40 3200 Elite and I would like to have such a card. What, where, when, and how much?

www.mildotmaster.com
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yup and its really damn close! Thanks Stealth for the b-day present 2 years ago!

Well, I obviously like mine.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I made my own. I use it. It works. Its simple.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought one, after using a Mil-dot recticle in my Leupold for the last two hunting seasons, I won't buy another scope without one.

I bought the Mil-dot Master for shyts and gyggles, but I ain't tried using it yet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:25:19 AM EDT
[#11]
It can be quite useful.  Though there are ways around it, such as illustrated above - basically a variation on a range card, which you should have anyway - it can't be beat for general use.  I do "close enough" calculations in my head, though.

That said, I hate mil-dot.  It was dreamt up by a trigonometry geek, similar to the metric system.  Both are mathematically elegant, but are not practical.  The ideal would be MOA.  

Since there are no Richardworld manufacturers of moa calibrated sopes, I have a Bushnell 10x mil dot and do the math.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:40:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I have several.  They're invaluable for range estimation.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:50:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
yeah the book comes with a worksheet  but just read the slide rule unless you are a total moron  its is pretty self explaintory(sp?)

Uh oh.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#14]
The mil-dot master works.  The math of the mil-relation formula is fairly easy, but the mil-dot master makes it idiot proof.  

YOU are the variable factor in range estimation using mil-dots.  

You MUST be able to correctly read your target height (or width) down to 1/10 of a mil.  If you are off even 1/10 mil past about 400 yards, you will most likely miss the shot (on a man sized or smaller target of course--a car or APC is easier to hit).  

You must also know, fairly precisely, the height (or width) of the target to within a few inches at least.  Reading the mils is more important however.  

Mil-ranging is very difficult and needs to be practiced.  

I don't find mil-ranging accurate enough to be used past about 500 yards for truly precise shooting.  

Laser range finders are the shit.  Practice with the mils and use the laser to confirm your readings.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top