Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 7:08:21 PM EDT
The "who here do you consider an expert" thread got me really thinking.   .......I'm not an "expert" at anything.

I thought I knew quite a bit about firearms, but when you are in the company of the ARFCOM crowd, I am just a student, who only knows a little in comparison.

I got to thinking....Am I really an expert at anything?......no, not in the same sense that you would find here.  

It is kind of depressing and humbling.   I'm 35yrs old, have an MA and can't think of any one subject that I would be considered an expert at.  

So, who else isn't an expert at anything?

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm an expert at WMQSeries Administration and a very relatively knowledgable individual in relation to AIX, Solaris and Microsoft Operating Systems.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The only thing I claim expertise in is good beer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

And I am an expert of cheap beer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Tell me you don't drink Guiness.....
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a few areas I'm an expert in.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only in the occasional Black & Tan and Irish Car Bomb, but I much prefer Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#7]
can't say I am an expert at anything on this site except threadjacking, threadkilling, and smartassery.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never felt like, nor claimed to be an expert in anything.  The reality is, I'm not.  I like to fantasize Im versed in many things, which really means I only know enough to make me dangerous.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only in the occasional Black & Tan and Irish Car Bomb, but I much prefer Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

Good to see a fan of the Tadcaster.....

If you ever make it out towards Tempe, Four Peaks has an outstanding Oatmeal Stout.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think anyone is a expert on anything just very well informed student because no matter the subject  or no matter how long you have been doing it  there is always something new to find out about that was known to other peope
I find authority is a better term
there is nothing as a expert or Guru
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#11]
It is all relative.  And those of us that are wise know the difference.

While I may not be anything close to an expert on ballistics or firearms
within the crowd here.  At work, or in many other situations, since I
know something, I am considered the expert.

At work (I develop Webservices software that the company sells for
big bucks)  I am not the expert on many of the concepts/tools.  But
when I am facing a customer, they do consider me an expert.

It is very humbling.  It sometimes drives me to drink.  But, it is all
relative.

DanM
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Jack of all trades, master of none.

ETA - I take that back. I know just about everything that there is to know about EMC Symmetrix and DMX storage arrays. I don't work with them in my current job though, so that and $.50 will get me a bag of chips.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm no expert here...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm an expert af fucking up my life.....
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#15]

So, who else isn't an expert at anything?

Me. I'm pretty good at some stuff. suck at other stuff. I like to learn about a lot of new things. Once I get any where near good at anything, I get bored.

I like to think I can learn something new everyday about anything. Oh, and Google IS your friend. as long as I have Google, I'm an expert. Or play one on TV.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#16]
The only thing I'm an expert at is "Self Gratification".  I'm the best I've ever had.

LL
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm considered by some of my friends as an expert in biomechanics.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#18]
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I've noticed that when people call themselves experts in a field, it's when they have reached a point where they know more than everyone around them.  I got to that point with computers when I was about 15.  Fortunately, I found a more experienced group of people to associate with.  The ones I call experts are the ones who learned long ago that they do not know everything and are always willing to learn something new.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#21]
The Army said that I was an Expert Shot with the M16.
I’m not going to dissuade anybody that I’m not.

I will say that I’m NOT an expert at lesbian and other deviant sexual sex acts.

But I’m willing to learn any deviant and/or perverted heterosexual sex acts provided that any partner(s) are
a. Human Female
b. Over 18 years of age.
c. Clean of any and all forms of STD’s.
d. Don’t have an angry and jealous husband who’s a better shot than me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm an expert in thinking I'm an expert on everything
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm a jack of all trades; master of none.

Damn...nicked my tagline..if I had one that is.

So....

+1
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I know a very little about quite a lot of things, and quite a lot about absolutely nothing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm only an expert at one thing, and that is dog driving, which might as well be nothing.

Not a huge calling for that these days.

GM
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm only an expert at one thing, and that is dog driving, which might as well be nothing.

Not a huge calling for that these days.

GM
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I know a little about a lot.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#28]
computer games
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#30]
To borrow a line from the old Edwin Starr song "War", I am an expert at "Absolutely nothing, say it again."
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Jack of all trades, master of none.  It can be extremely frustrating and depressing at times.

I fully believe in that saying: "No matter how good you think you are, no matter how much you practice, there is someone out there who is better at it than you are."

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm working on my masters of "smartass replies".  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm good at destroying things. I figure I'd fit right in with the Army.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:49:04 AM EDT
[#35]
37 years old and don't know jack shit about anything. Still don't know what I want to be when I grow up either.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:16:09 AM EDT
[#36]
For all that feel they are experts:

Ex=the unknown factor
spirt=a drip under pressure

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:37:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:40:55 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm an expert at internet arguing. I have no rival.

Wanna fight about it?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:41:36 AM EDT
[#39]
I was just thinking about this same thing earlier today. I am in my last semester of earning my B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, when my professor tells us we all need to decide what field we would like to "specialize" in. It has thrown me for a loop, as I have many interests but no "specialties."
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I was just thinking about this same thing earlier today. I am in my last semester of earning my B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, when my professor tells us we all need to decide what field we would like to "specialize" in. It has thrown me for a loop, as I have many interests but no "specialties."

I just came from one of our rental propertys(we rent to collage students as they can throw a beer bottle from the property and hit the Starky building)I'm servicing thier A/C unit and see a moped bike setting on a picnick table in disrepair!!!

I ask hey who's bike is that,the renter says it belongs to XXXXX and I ask hey is he rebuilding and does he want to sell it?

He respondes yesXXXXX is an Enginering student,and he can fix it!!!!

So I look and in the backyard is a project(a battery driven car that his class failed to make work)and I say hey is this the same young man that someone gave a lawnmower to?

The city of Norman gave us a final warning about grass over 12 inches,and he tells me the lawnmower has an electrical problem!!!

I ask how is that,and he says it will run for minutes then dies !!!!

I say sounds like Gas or air problems to me!!!

I remove the front air filter and it is full of water,throw it to the ground and pump gas into the carb,pull the cord and BUZZZZZZZZ a new sound erupts   a mower is born!!!

I tell him to get a new filter and mow on!!!

So thats all I have to say about really young Enginner students!!!

Don't mean you are an Enginner just because you have the degree!!!

And I'm sure they make fun of the old man with the Aussie boonie hat!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top