Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 5:56:35 PM EDT
Out of 234384 topics in GD, I'll bet this is a first.

Just finished a paper for a client, and a quick check threw a new word at me; "collocation" in lieu of "co-location" Well that got me thinking a bit (either would have worked) and just for grins ran the old "Readability Statistics" option in Word (yes, yes, I have no life) and got a whopping 28.2 on "Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease" (Flesch & Kincaid may have had less of a life than I ) What the hell does this mean? Well, according to this site:

Reader's Digest magazine has a readability index of about 65, Time magazine scores about 52, and the Harvard Law Review has a general readability score in the low 30s.

SO EAT HOT LEAD HARVARD LAW REVIEW,  AIEEEEEEEEEEE, er, I meant, "how intellectually stimulating"

If I get really bored, may take one of DU's rambling rants and score it, just to see if it ekes out a better score than People magazine...

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I will use that from time to time when writing things for students. I have a tendancy to be a little on the wordy side, so the grade level function helps quite a bit.

Try writing directions for second graders some time. It is not as easy as one would think when the scale is taken into account.

ETA: I think I posted about how to print out a shot of the level report over the document one time. That was a head scratcher.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top