Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 5:49:54 PM EDT
What part of the tobacco industry does the BATFE regulate?  Do they bust people for home growing tobacco to roll their own smokes and avoid the tax?

I know they bust stills and illegal weapons, but what do they do about explosives and tobacco?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#1]
They should make them usefull and change it to BET.  Bureau of Explosives and Terrorism.  Put them to use in the WOT.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#3]
make sure the taxes are paid on tobacco i guess.
i guess their job is to walk through the ware house and look for those little stamps.
As far as explosives go, ATF keeps tabs on that as part of their duty as the federal arson/no-fun police.they just added that part in there to try to fool people into thinking that they arent the ATF who fucked up the Waco thing.
They are the BATFE
I dunno - ATF agents useless, no matter what they are doing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Buying cigs in a low tax state and selling them in a $5.00 a pack state is BIG business.

And more important that fighting terrorism or securing our borders?  Having a federal agency just to deal with silly stuff like that is a rediculous waste of resources.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What part of the tobacco industry does the BATFE regulate?  Do they bust people for home growing tobacco to roll their own smokes and avoid the tax?

I know they bust stills and illegal weapons, but what do they do about explosives and tobacco?

ATF no longer regulates tobacco and alcohol.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Many years ago I used to be a vendor at gunshows selling MilSurp gear and knives. One of the vendors next to me had some cigars (singles) in a clear box for sale at about a buck apiece. He was told to remove them from his table and not to sell them anymore by the promoter. An undercover ATF agent went to the promoter and said he needs to have a license to sell tobacco products.. This was about 10 years or so ago.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Bush missed a golden opportunity to kill the BATFE with the war on terror.  He should have given over all the BATFE's jurisdiction to the FBI and told them that in terms of priority it ranked somewhere below checking fertilizer purchases.  Then, he should have sent all of the BATFE officers to the border.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#8]
All they do anymore is infringe on Law abiding citizens RIGHT to bear arms, shoot your dogs and burn your house down
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know for a fact that they still regulate alcohol.  They make regular stops at the rum distillery and whiskey distilleries around here. (Pritchards, Jack Daniels, George Dickel)  They even paid me a visit about four weeks ago on a tip that proved to be way wrong. We make wine here at my house, not moonshine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:43:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
They should make them usefull and change it to BET.  Bureau of Explosives and Terrorism.  Put them to use in the WOT.

bet is taken

how about........

Bureau of Immigration Terrorism and Explosives?
(their patch could have a mean looking dog on it)

and, I guess they could regulate Methanol and Ethanol(alcohols)too

BITE ME
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:19:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

bet is taken

how about........

BITE ME

AFAIK, BATFE only regulated production of ethanol.  I know damn sure they don't do methanol as that is produced from other methods, not anerobic fermentation of sugars using yeast.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:22:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Buying cigs in a low tax state and selling them in a $5.00 a pack state is BIG business.

And more important that fighting terrorism or securing our borders?  Having a federal agency just to deal with silly stuff like that is a rediculous waste of resources.

Not true. A lot of criminal organizations use the trafficing of duty free cigarettes to launder their money; for instance, Narco-trafficers from South America buy huge amounts of cigs from american tabbacco companies with the profits they make from their drugs here in the states. Basically, they turn the dollars they make here into cigarettes; they then ship the cigs to a duty free port in Aruba. From there they smuggle them into South America and sell them, cleaning their drug money, turning their once dirty dollars into their local currency.

It was on a PBS special.

ETA: What is really crazy is how shady the tobacco companies are; the drug trafficers will send a bag of 50 or more checks, each in the amount of $9,000 or less to them, in order to avoid the attention of the IRS. The Feds have warned the tobacco companies what is taking place, but because the profits are so good, the tobacco companies look the other way.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:01:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know for a fact that they still regulate alcohol.  They make regular stops at the rum distillery and whiskey distilleries around here. (Pritchards, Jack Daniels, George Dickel)  They even paid me a visit about four weeks ago on a tip that proved to be way wrong. We make wine here at my house, not moonshine.

That is not the BATF which was split from the Treasury Dept and transferred to the Justice Department.  Alcohol and tobacco regulation is now handled by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, which is under the Treasury Department.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

bet is taken

how about........

BITE ME

AFAIK, BATFE only regulated production of ethanol.  I know damn sure they don't do methanol as that is produced from other methods, not anerobic fermentation of sugars using yeast.

Oh...........Then I guess they won't take over immigration enforcement and call themselves BITE ME......
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I heard they store their explosives under Federal buildings,.....

And there ain't no money/glory in tobbacco..........
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Bush missed a golden opportunity to kill the BATFE with the war on terror.  He should have given over all the BATFE's jurisdiction to the FBI and told them that in terms of priority it ranked somewhere below checking fertilizer purchases.  Then, he should have sent all of the BATFE officers to the border.  

GWB knows Exactly what he's doing on the border....

Nothing.......

So much for the "War on Terror", he'd rather see MOH winners and little old ladies hassled in airports.

I wonder how many illegals run across HIS ranch TERRORIZING him????  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

ETA: What is really crazy is how shady the tobacco companies are; the drug trafficers will send a bag of 50 or more checks, each in the amount of $9,000 or less to them, in order to avoid the attention of the IRS.

Don't fool yourself on this under $9000 is OK - it will not work. Yes I know that $10,000 is the golden amount that needs to be reported etc. However, banks face severe fines if they were to accept a series of deposits in the $9000 amount - there are also daily limits and series analysis (read longer than a day evaluation) for this sort of thing as well. A lot more of monetary transactions are reported than you would think - it should go without saying that ALL monetary transactions are recorded.

Oh yeah, and it's not the IRS that is interested in this information as much as other agencies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top