Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 5:49:40 PM EDT
i have a suzuki samurai 4X4 that is almost impossible to start.
It has been in storage for about a year and has been run about every 4-6 months.
We replaced the gas an batt.  

You crank and crank and crank,
Pump the gas and after a few minutes it turns over only to die.
Then it’s back to cranking and pumping the gas and it will fire and try to idle but dies.
You have to dink with it until it’s almost warm and then it will run but is weak and dies easily.  We replaced the factory carb with a Webber many years back and it ran great.  

Tried two cans of choke and carb cleaner.

Short of taking it to a mechanic what can I try?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuel filter is my guess.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure its a fuel problem?  Tried to see if you are getting spark to all 4 cylinders?

If you are sure of that I would pull the carb and try cleaning it out of all the varnish it probably has choking it up.

Jets could be plugged or even a fuel line.  See if you are getting fuel to the carb when you pull the carb.

Or sell it to me.... how much do you want for it? (I'm inhouston.)
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Got to www.pirate4x4.com/forum/index.php?

They have a 'zuki section 'bout half way down.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Id take the carb off diaassemble it and soak it in some chemtool for a while, Scale builds up in the ports and jets over time, clogging them.Check your float bowl, if you see brown deposits in it give the carb a bath
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#5]
air/fuel/spark

chances are it's getting air.

Is it getting fuel? remove a spark plug and see if it's wet

getting spark?  hook up a timing light to the #1 spark plug wire

Is it getting spark at the right time? see above but use the timing light to check timing

Proceed from there
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Do people still own those things?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like its running lean, as if a jet is plugged off, or clogged, or for whatever reason its getting more an than gas (than it needs too) to the cylinders.

+1 on both the fuel filter replacement and clean the crap out of the carb.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do people still own those things?

I thought they were all rolled by teenage girls years ago.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
air/fuel/spark

chances are it's getting air.

Is it getting fuel? remove a spark plug and see if it's wet

getting spark?  hook up a timing light to the #1 spark plug wire

Is it getting spark at the right time? see above but use the timing light to check timing

Proceed from there

+1.

How cheap is a new carb vs. a trip to the shop?

I've never stored a carbed car but I can imagine a whole lot of gremlin's showing up.
In TX I can see a carb gumming up over time.  

Like was said above,... fuel, air, spark (including timing).  And researching the internet.
Saved me many a paycheck.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 on take carb apart and clean thoroughly. jets clogged, gummed up, yada yada.

My "master mechanic" just did this to one of my motorcycles that had same issue. Just sticking in carb cleaner ain't gonna do it. Take everything apart, soak it, poke it (with a needle)....all this and I didn't even watch him in action...but what do I know...I'm just a girl

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#11]
The hamster is sick.

Just kidding, I love those things!

Damn a fourwheeler, I'll take a Zuki any day.

Good luck, sorry I didn't help, free bump.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#12]
If it's been siting for a year I'd suspect the fuel system. The fuel pump might also be having trouble. The diaphragm or the valves (In the pump) might be shot. My 88' Suzuki was giving Me fits until I did a pressure test on the fuel pump. If I pulled the gas line to the carb, It'd pump like crazy, but it wasn't putting out enough pressure to function correctly. Replacing it solved My troubles.

Wish I still had that damn thing, best little truck I've ever owned!

Good Luck & keep Us posted!

Tall Shadow
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top