Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2001 7:33:10 AM EDT
I just got a 3 year old female parrot in a trade.
It looks like an Amazon but the last owner called it a Mexican Red.
It's green with a little red and blue and is about the size of a pigeon.
It whistles,sings and talks.
The last owner neglected it and kept it in a garage unattended for about 18 months because it put a hole in the owners nose.
She was trying to get it to kiss her and for some reason she grabbed its ass at the same time.
It will let you pick it up, but it will scream bloody murder if I try to pet it.
It has never bit me hard, but it kinda scares the shit out of me.
We have been spending a lot of time with this bird.
We keep it near our kitchen and it seems to be mellowing out.
Can this bird be rehabilitated into a friendly pet?
I'm going to give it a bit longer but I'm not sure you can "teach an old dog new tricks"
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Andy
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Parrot tastes just like chicken...
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't know how applicable this is to your situation, but I had a Cockatiel that was really mean.  He never did chill out, but he did improve.  Admittedly, I did give up after a little while.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I read an article once about a guy who broke into a house and was attacked by a parrot. When the owner came home he said there was blood everywhere walls, floors, everywhere. The guy got caught and said it was the scarriest thing ever. He said the bird just came out of no where and ripped his face open. When he tried to fend the bird off it just ripped his arms up. It was pretty funny.... Parrots are supposed to be pretty intelligent. If you don't have any kids I'd say it might be worth some time if you wan't to keep it. If you have kids then I would say either get rid of it or, Parrot might taste like chicken like Bud said.

Link Posted: 7/18/2001 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Keep the bird in area's where you live alot in the house. Closer it is to you, the more it gets used to you.  
Clip the wings, that gets rid of as lot of attitude.  
Also, and this can work, but takes some time, take away the food from the animal.  Leave water, but all food is taken away from the animal.   The only way the bird can eat, is from the food in your hand.  
By the end of the day, or two, the bird can/will be forced to eat from your hand.
You want to make it realize that you=food, and from there, it will have to love you.  Mine now try and eat the food from my mouth.   Actually stick their head in there.
Love your birds, they need attention.  
c-rock
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I dunno, c-rock...

A mean parrot that equates Mechandy with food does not sound like a good thing.

Sort of like a "harmless little bunny with nasty sharp pointed teeth"...

[NI]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top