Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2005 4:45:02 PM EDT
Hi,

Anyone flown/served/been in/own one? What do you think of them?Got any cool stories? I'm no expert but they seem like amazing pieces of kit to me for the time they were made

Leon
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#1]
If it ain't Boeing it ain't going.

Only rode the hoist up from Pensacola bay to the cabin and back down again.  I do have an hour or so of stick time in an AH-1W though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I was in an Air Cav squadron in the National Guard. We had Huey gunships and Kiowa Scout helos. I've flown on both many times. There are damn few experiences like dangling your feet out of a Huey doing 120 knots at tree top level
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a few jumps out of Hueys. It's a long way down to the skids when they're airborne!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#4]
whop. whop. whop. whop. whop. whop. whop. whop. whop. whop. whop. whop.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#5]
tag.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Ran comms in a C&C UH1 during the 90's a few times....

Fun.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#7]
flew them in Vietnam. Good tough aircraft if that's what you wanted to know.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

They're fun when they're swooping low and fast but climbing to altitude it feels like you're in a dying washing machine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I was an electrician on UH1's in the Navy from 96-01.

As regards helicopters, I have only ever flown in a Huey, so I can't really compare them.  They were fun to troll around along the fenceline in Cuba though, or around Camp Pendleton.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#10]
spent my time crewing one for counter drug missions.  Great birds.  They would still be going stong for much less than the cost of a new crashhawk.

Bigger engine, 4 rotors, new avionics.  Still a damn good people moving package.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#11]
One cool thing about Hueys - they had so much inertia in their rotor system that you could roll the engines to idle, yank enough collective to get her airborne, do a 180 degree pedal turn (to the right of course) and have enough inertia to set her back down gently.

If you are a Huey buff give Chickenhawk a read.  One of the best military flying books of all time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
spent my time crewing one for counter drug missions.  Great birds.  They would still be going stong for much less than the cost of a new crashhawk.

Bigger engine, 4 rotors, new avionics.  Still a damn good people moving package.

TXL

I did the C&C work with JTF-6
I got my coin somewhere...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

TXL

Great birds, but given my druthers, I would prefer to take my chances in a Knighthawk over a Huey.  No cool skid factor, but a much more survivable aircraft, especially over water.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I read a very good book wrote by a guy about his experiences in Vietnam.
He was a Huey pilot.
Had a chapter (at least) covering flight school, it was super cool.
After reading it I seriously considered going Army upon my discharge from the AF to fly 'em.
Te title of the book is "Chickenhawk".
well worth the read is you even have a passing interest.
chickenhawk

ETA: H46 Driver beat me to it.....don't call the dupe police!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Another good Vietnam era Heli book is Low Level Hell  by Hugh Mills.  Aeroscouts, oh yeah!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#16]
great story/stories about the guys that flew uh1's on the history channel this week.   someone restored a nam huey and flew it 10,000 miles visiting people that flew that bird, and others  who lost loved ones in ones just like it, great 2 hour spec.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#17]
A friend of mine bought an E model back in the late 80's.

It was restored to Marine Corps paint job and he did the airshow circuit for a few years
with the thing.   Used to load up on Saturdays and fly down the Brazos river west of Ft Worth,
find a nice grassy spot, land and camp out for the night.

We would blank adapt our M16's and do a little noise making during airshows.
Always a pain because we'd have to go to an FOD walkdown after, but
it was fun.

It was a beautiful machine.  He had an
F4U Corsair as well, -5 model I believe it was.

Always loved the Huey, but boy was it hard on Jet-A.........
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Rapelled out of them in the Army (I was Air Assault). Clearly one of the most exhilerating experiences of my life.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
great story/stories about the guys that flew uh1's on the history channel this week.   someone restored a nam huey and flew it 10,000 miles visiting people that flew that bird, and others  who lost loved ones in ones just like it, great 2 hour spec.

When was this? Will it be on again anytime soon? I want to try and record it. It sounds pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

www.intheshadowoftheblade.com/trailer-small-sub.html
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been in three different Hueys, all privately owned and maintained.  All three of them had their roots traced back to Viet Nam.  One of them was a UH-1C gunship, another was a UH-1D, and the other was a UH-1H that has been restored back to the way it was originally.  

I love dangling my feet out the open bay, especially when they decided to nap of the earth.  I also enjoy the way the wind flows through the cabin, good times.

Some great books on Air Cavalry in Vietnam are:

Hunter/ Killer Squadron
Headhunters
Lest We Forget
Firebirds...Chuck Carlock is a really swell guy
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I got up close and personal with my camera at an Air Show with a Heuy, damn cool 'copter.

I know a guy (name is Jerry) who was a Door Gunner on Huey's during 'Nam, hes pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#23]

www.intheshadowoftheblade.com/trailer-small-sub.html

Watched it all 4 times it came on.  Tears welled up each time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I have spent lots of hours in B's and H's from our county SAR Team. We cant get our Hoist insured so we short-haul...Fun till you start getting the spins.

Also did some Flight Medic time in the military.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I was in an Air Cav squadron in the National Guard. We had Huey gunships and Kiowa Scout helos. I've flown on both many times. There are damn few experiences like dangling your feet out of a Huey doing 120 knots at tree top level

The 25th ID was an 'air assault' division when I was there in '81~>84. Spend lots of hours up in those fancy formations of spare parts that flew along. Yeah, that is some good shit to hang out a bird with a cool breeze in your face.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I spent 18 years with Hueys before being forced into Blackhawks. Loved them and still do. A tough, simple aircraft.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#27]
You are supposed to stick your arms out and fly when you are being short-hauled.

Quoted:
I have spent lots of hours in B's and H's from our county SAR Team. We cant get our Hoist insured so we short-haul...Fun till you start getting the spins.

Also did some Flight Medic time in the military.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I have about 5 hours in Navy UH-1N/HH-1N's flying in Antarcitca and about 20 hours in Navy UH-3D helos.

I have been short-hauled and hoisted out of the H-3 plenty of times, I have been tea-bagged in quite a few rivers and lakes in northwestern Washington.  

I have 5 flights in California ANG UH-1D's being transported to remote mountain tops to fight fires, I even have a couple flights in an H-34 turbine conversion doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#29]
A friend's dad flew slicks in Vietnam.  One of my favorite stories of his involves flying out to a remote LZ to pick up a patrol.  He set the bird down and realized that the VC had put a bunch of barbed wire and tanglefoot in the grass.  The shit was caught in the skids.  He looked out the window at his feet and saw the words, "THIS SIDE TOWARDS ENEMY."

Fuck.

He started to lift the bird out when his dumb-ass co-pilot said, "I'll radio the other birds and tell them not to land."

Still hauling back on the collective, he looked at the co-pilot and said, " Why don't you wait until were not sitting on a fucking MINE before keying the radio.  Dipshit."  (Stray radio emissions near a bomb, possibly radio-triggered, are a Bad Thing)

The co-pilot turned white, nodded and waiting until they were safely airborne before using the radio.  No boom.  They found another clearing to pick up the patrol.

His unit also used to drop mortar rounds out of the helicopters, like little bombs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#30]
240th Assault Helicopter Company, Bearcat, Republic of Vietnam 1968-1969
"The Greyhounds"...Their gunships were the Mad Dogs.......many hours with these guys while I was an advisor to the Royal Thai Army Black Panther Division.  Low level stuff cruising over rice paddies at 10-20 feet and then roller coastering over the burms and back on the deck made me lose my lunch out the door more than once.  This was done during false insertions to confuse the enemy as to where troops were dropped off.  Awesome men, awesome machines. They have a website
                                                                        http://240thahcfl.www1.50megs.com/LZ/
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
His unit also used to drop mortar rounds out of the helicopters, like little bombs.

From what I gather from my uncles first hand accounts, and the books they shared with me, our chopper crews in Viet Nam were very creative when it came to "makin shit go bang" as one uncle likes to put it.  Some of his favorites were 20mm ammo cans full of C-4 and wrapped in links of 7.62x51.  He calls those "Instant LZs"
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:12:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Rapelled out of them in the Army (I was Air Assault). Clearly one of the most exhilerating experiences of my life.

Ever do stabo?

I crewed in a spec ops unit.  When not doing real missions, we flew the air assault school missions at camp gruber in okiehoma.

Fun stuff, expecially at night.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:17:05 AM EDT
[#33]
I've ridden in a couple way back in highschool with CAP and JROTC.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:30:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I've been in.. a few.    

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#35]
    I spent a weekend rapelling out of one when I went to SWAT school. (1984)

Detroit PD had one and they didn't mind sharing with local yokel PDs. I forget what they called it (edit, STABO )
  but they dangled four of us by ropes at about 300 ft and flew us around the airfield , as we held onto each other in a stick of four men. I have never parachuted so it was the only time I've seen my boots with 300 feet of fresh air in between them and the ground. It was cool.

They also came out to help us when we had a prison break. Detroit PD aviation guys were the best before they disbanded the unit.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:29:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I have been tea-bagged  

That may be TMI.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have been tea-bagged  

That may be TMI.

TMI?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have been tea-bagged  

That may be TMI.

TMI?  

Too much information!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#39]
We flew on these at Camp Pendleton way back in '76-'77.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Hi,

Anyone flown/served/been in/own one?

I spent 7 years in a Army Guard UH-1 unit.  I've had plenty of rides.

The best are when you go for NOE flights!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hi,

Anyone flown/served/been in/own one?

I spent 7 years in a Army Guard UH-1 unit.  I've had plenty of rides.

The best are when you go for NOE flights!

+1, I was in a Army Guard infantry unit and we got to ride a few times... it was great!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#42]
One of my best friends has a brother who was a Huey pilot in Vietnam.

I remember years back we all went camping and "Ted" told us of some of the missions he flew.  Some of it funny, a lot of it sad, but it was really something.

One thing that sticks out is when he told us how the ARVN had a hard time remembering not to exit towards the rear of the chopper.  Pink cloud, he called it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

+1, I was in a Army Guard infantry unit and we got to ride a few times... it was great!

CTARNG?  If so it was probably our unit taxiing you around.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Here are two of the 13 hueys I crewed
71-20255 UH-1V

74-22452  UH-1H
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#45]
When I was in ROTC in  college I passed up a ride in one. Really wished I hadn't then I'd have something to compare the Blackhawk to.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#46]
I get it, thanks.
I'm new to the ARF boards......

Tea-bagging means that you are on the end of the short-haul rope and the pilot and crew take you over to one of Washington's many glacier-melt rivers or lakes and they dip you in it, like a tea-bag in a tea cup.  

Rivers, lakes, those SOB's didn't care.
Neither did I.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have been tea-bagged  

That may be TMI.

TMI?  

Too much information!

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CTARNG?  If so it was probably our unit taxiing you around.

yup. CSC 2/102 first and later Co C, 1/169 from 1985-1991
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#48]
I’ve jumped out of them too.

I figure that about half of all of my jumps were from helicopters.  All but a handful were from Huey's.

Fun ride.  But when the copter is banking for that last turn you hope that you don’t slide out by mistake.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Tagged.  

A well deserved "Thank you" to all the Vets on AR15.com.  

Uncle Sam didn’t want me during Viet Nam.  I tried to join and the recruiter said no.    

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I get it, thanks.
I'm new to the ARF boards......

Tea-bagging means that you are on the end of the short-haul rope and the pilot and crew take you over to one of Washington's many glacier-melt rivers or lakes and they dip you in it, like a tea-bag in a tea cup.  

Rivers, lakes, those SOB's didn't care.
Neither did I.

Did you spend any time in 46 squadrons?  I remember one aircrewman who had transitioned from the KA-3 community, an AO.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top