Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 1:20:11 PM EDT
http://www.elpasotimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050824/NEWS/508240333/1001

City adopts resolution to keep Minutemen out

David Crowder
El Paso Times

Stepping into the border fray over the Minutemen, the El Paso City Council adopted a resolution inviting them to stay out of town.

East-Central city Rep. José Alexandro Lozano cast the sole vote against the measure, saying he has spent time with them in Arizona.

"If the law allows them to do their thing, let it be," Lozano said. "We should totally find a way of closing our borders, not only for the sake of illegal immigration, but also for the sake of lives."

The resolution, drafted by city Reps. Steve Ortega and Beto O'Rourke, was strongly supported by seven city representatives.

It asserted that the El Paso area's economic future depends on "a spirit of cooperation and good will," and that El Paso officials support law enforcement officers in enforcing the rule of law and "reject civilian attempts to enforce immigration law."

Speaking against the resolution, Central El Pasoan Sal Gomez said, "My opinion about the Minutemen is a violation of any law, in this case federal law, must be confronted with a consequence, not a reward. Our country is being invaded on a massive scale by illegal immigration. Face it, it is the truth."

A representative of the American Civil Liberties Union who just moved to El Paso from Arizona, Ray Ybarra, urged support for the measure, saying the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps volunteers represent "a message of hatred and intolerance."

"The militarization of the border has led to more than 3,500 deaths, and the solution is not to try what has already failed," he said.

Later, Texas' Minutemen director Shannon McCauley said the city's resolution "doesn't mean anything to me or any American who wants secure borders."

"We're going to come down there and secure the border and cost the drug cartel and the human smuggler organizations as much as we can in the month of October."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely disgusting but I wouldn't expect any less from the idiots on our city council, but the Minutemen are still coming anyway and I will be volunteering some my time to join them.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]
dupe  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Speaking against the resolution, Central El Pasoan Sal Gomez said, "My opinion about the Minutemen is a violation of any law, in this case federal law, must be confronted with a consequence, not a reward. Our country is being invaded on a massive scale by illegal immigration. Face it, it is the truth."

Why is it so hard for some people to understand this?

This guy gets it.  Too bad no one else in the city does.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#3]
at least your mayor isn't part of the Aztlan movement, and openly supports "Reconquista"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top