BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2001 6:36:14 AM EDT
Do any of you work in this field?  I have a few questions:

1. How long have you done it?

2. How did you start?

3. Is it your full time job?

Also, how do you LEOs feel about BEA/FRAs?

Thanks,
Chimborazo
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't speak for "on the street" LEOs, but as a semi retired federal security officer/armorer, my impression & experience with them is that they are no better (and sometimes worse) than the offenders they are chasing.  Given the rather lax regs on who can do this work, at least here in Georgia, the work attracts those who think that violence is a way of life. Most LEOs, on the other hand, feel that violence is a last resort, and those prospective LEOs who are violence prone are either not hired or are screened out during training.  Old TV eries w/Steve McQueen notwithstanding, bounty hunting is a lowlife way to make a living, and these guys are nothing more than bounty hunters.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Can't speak for "on the street" LEOs, but as a semi retired federal security officer/armorer, my impression & experience with them is that they are no better (and sometimes worse) than the offenders they are chasing.  Given the rather lax regs on who can do this work, at least here in Georgia, the work attracts those who think that violence is a way of life. Most LEOs, on the other hand, feel that violence is a last resort, and those prospective LEOs who are violence prone are either not hired or are screened out during training.  Old TV eries w/Steve McQueen notwithstanding, bounty hunting is a lowlife way to make a living, and these guys are nothing more than bounty hunters.
View Quote

Well, well, I know The Bounty Hunter in Tucson Bob Burton and he is former FORCE RECON! Gordon Liddy happens to be his beat friend and on the Board of Advisors for a Bounty Hunter Association, and they are patriots, in the real sense!!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#3]
There are definitely some shitbag bounty hunters, but on the whole there are less "reportable incidents" with legit bounty hunters in one year than there are with NYPD in one shift.

I think it's great that fugitives are apprehended at no cost to the tax-payers, and that the capture percentage is something like 88%.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Visit [url] www.bounty-hunter.net/home.htm
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not LEO, and have only ONE experience with ONE bail enforcement agent.

we were at the outdoor shooting spot, a desert patch really, with a loose but spray-painted 'firing line' for safety concerns. This bail agent, a friend of a friend, shows up, and stands behind us, sort of checking us out (could not tell what he was looking at, cuz of his ultra cool sun glasses). while my brother is shooting a few yards to my right, this guy pulls out his glock and starts shooting. He is standing about 10 feet BEHIND my brother, and about 6 feet to his right; basically at my brother's 5 oclock. I was so pissed, i grabbed a buddy of mine, a marine holding a shorty AR, and we ran over to the guy and bitched him out and told him to watch the firing line.

Later, i overheard him telling some other 'ooh ah' people how he doesnt wear a vest..that "if they gonna getchoo, they gonna getchoo, fukkit!"
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Liddy a patriot?  Are you shitting me?

He is the guy who used the office of the president to do all sorts of dirty tricks, to suborn the constitution of the United States and to generally try to keep RMN in power at any cost.  We don't need the likes of him for sure.

That he is proud of what he does speaks even more of his character (or lack of same).
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#7]
As a Corrections Officer, I have run into a few of them. Most were ok, some ex-cops. And yes some scumbags. Sometimes you just need someone special to pick up the garbage.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#8]
chiz45,
If I was a betting man, I'd say that guy was probably not a bounty hunter.  I ran across this short, weeble-wobble looking fool wearing a duster and heard him say "yeah, I used to run bounties out of Kansas City" to a couple of girls.  I was laughing too hard to call him on it although one of my friends had the opportunity to call him on it later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top