Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 12:40:15 PM EDT
I was listening to the radio today and they mentioned something about America's kids are more obese or something like that. Then they mentioned some stats/percentages that were pretty shocking.

It got me to thinking about when I was kid at school in the 60s and 70s.

My grade school had about 4-500 students and there were no ''fat'' kids. A couple were kinda big, but not obese by any stretch.
Same deal in my high school of 1,400 kids. A couple were big, fat maybe, but not a single ''obese'' or grossly fat kid. Not one that couldnt or didnt run a mile in gym class.

What do you remember?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Fat?  Sure.

Obscenely obese?  No.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:40:56 PM EDT
[#2]
That's like asking if there's liberals in my state.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Not many obese kids in my school.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#5]
yeah 3-4 out of 250 or so.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Beside me?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I graduated in '96.  Out of 160 maybe 3 or 4 could be termed obese.  

The numbers don't lie...seems there are more fat kids nowadays.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#8]
High school class of 1990, rural southeastern Pennsylvania

Class size 120-130

Obese (as opposed to overweight or fat):  1

Fat (not obese):  3

... doesn't sound too bad but I wonder what the numbers are now?

[ETA:  I was not in the above group.    I was 5'5-5'6", 115-120 lbs and wore size 26-28 pants!]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Obese? maybe one or two.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Obesity is way up.
www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/trend/index.htm

My BMI is 29. I am nearly obese according
to this shit. I had no idea that I was such a
fat fuck.

I'm 5'6" and I wear a 33" waist pant.

The BMI is bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Obesity is way up.

fat fuck.

The BMI is bullshit.

Whatever you say fatso...  

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Class size of 69.

1 overly obese.

about a dozen fat people.

Rest of the class was pretty slim.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Whatever you say fatso...  

I'm offended. I'm going to eat a whole
pint of Cherry Garcia now.

Meanie.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Lets just say that I did my part to help the couple fatasses lose weight.

But I could stand to lose 15 lbs myself now
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I new it was not all the junk food causing it.
www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/01/health/main713231.shtml
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Drill instructor?

or merciless heckler of fat kids?  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drill instructor?

or merciless heckler of fat kids?  

The only thing I regret about my military time, is that I never did become a Drill Sgt.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Class of 2004, about 340 people, southwest suburbs of Chicago

a few "big" people, and I mean a few, and no one really big.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Obesity is way up.

fat fuck.

The BMI is bullshit.

The BMI is a massive overgeneralization biased towards runners. However... you only need to look at the skyrocketing incidence of type II diabetes to confirm that obesity and all the attandent health concerns are runing rampant in our culture.

In one of my first endocrine lectures, the professor displayed a graph of the rise in type II DM in our culture superimposed over a graph showing the increase in soda consumption. they matched up almost perfectly. Our diet is crap, and it's killing us.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Fat?  Sure.

Obscenely obese?  No.

+1
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Obesity is not how much you weigh or what size pants you wear. Obesity is determined by your percentage of fat to lean body mass. If you are a man and your percentage of body fat is more then 25% you are obese.

If the fat is evenly distributed over your body you may not look obese or even that fat. You may not like the term or think that you are not really obese but that's part of the problem.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#22]
The question was. Were there fat kids in your school? Answer. Yes. In grade school maybe two fat kids. middle school 4. and big time city school of 2000 kids I went to, maybe 30. I'm acutal looking in my yearbooks. back in the 80's every school had maybe just one or two super fat kids. Today you see 9 year olds that are 300lbs. Parents should be slapped. Just for the record I really didn't like the one fat boy I had in 1st grade.He never gave me matchbox car back. Fat asshole.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#23]
When I applied for the National Guard I was way over what the book said my healthy weight was judging by height , but based on neck, chest and arm measurements, I was only a few pounds off the mark for what was considered safe. I have put on a few pounds since then, but I stay active and all my physicals since high school have been perfectly fine, other then some football related knee issues, which is what kept me from joining the Guard.

As far as fat asses in high school…in my class of 48 people, I can think of 2 people, one male, one female.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#24]
My high school had about 1200 kids. Out of all those kids, there were 3-4 fat kids. Today, those fat kids would be considered chubby.

We had no soda machines on campus. However, we had an open lunch, so the kids could leave campus to eat.

I think perhaps the real problem today is lack of exercise.

By today's standards, we didn't have many options for entertainment after school.

You could watch TV (no one would sit on their ass and watch TV after school)
You could read (yeah, right)
You could ride your bike and screw around.

No video games, no computers, no cell phones.

So, you were either active or you were a TV watching dud.

We were active.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#25]
There are ALWAYS fatties.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I was a fat kid.  It worked out fine as long as I was playing football.  When I left public school after my sophomore year, I had issues.... #1, Goon wasn't helping out the team.  Small line over which you are "Fat kid" and, "Dominant O-Lineman".  I kept eating like a o-linman, and, didn't play o-line anymore.
I got up to 385 eventually.  I got down to 220 before I joined the Army.  I'm about 260 now.
I'm never gonna be skinny.  Just ain't gonna happen.  Lowest I ever got was 209.  My NCOIC got so concerned she sent me to Wally World (Walter Reed) to get a consult.  The docs there saw me and, they were like..

"Holy crap.  You looklike a death camp survivor."

I wasn't eating.  I was a young private and, I got a 275 on my PT test, and, when my squad leader took me aside, I thought he was gonna say how great I did.  
Pretty much jacked me up.

He said I had to go on remiedial PT 'casue I failed tape.

I had to be one of a handful in the army that had in my medical records I HAD to be water tank tested to be put out on 600-9.  

This probably qualifies as pissing on your thread, and I'm sorry.  Just brought back alot of bad memories.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Obesity is way up.

fat fuck.

The BMI is bullshit.

It's pretty frustrating that the BMI is recognized.  I guess everyone has to be a skeleton.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I read a site that said I was over weight at  6' tall and 175lbs. Some people just have it in there bloodline to be big. Some parents do need to do a better job watching what the kids eat. It doesn't work anymore to give little johnny two big macs,a super size drink with fries and send him off to play video games.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I found my 2nd grade annual (grades 1-12) last week and flipped thru it. I voted <10% and I think it was less than that. I'm talking 1957-58. I'll go thru it again and take 10 pics from each grade randomly and get a better idea but I know I'm close.
For one thing, we had an hour of pe every day- no more in the local schools. As a result, my state is #1 in obesity and #2 in early onset diabetes. One school system here has banned junk food and belly wash (pop, coke, carbonated beverages) for sale on campus. Until they get the kids moving all that lard around, they won't make much progress.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#30]

This probably qualifies as pissing on your thread, and I'm sorry. Just brought back alot of bad memories.

Actually, I hardly understood all the acronyms in your post so it went over my head.

ETA: I hope I didnt insult anyone with my post. I wasnt pointing at anyone, just pointing out the difference between then and now.
When I was kid/teen, you had to manufacture your own entertainment and no kids were overweight. We walked or biked everywhere and were outside as long as our parents allowed us to be.
The fact there were no computer games, radio sucked and there were only three channels may have something to do with that.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I was listening to the radio today and they mentioned something about America's kids are more obese or something like that. Then they mentioned some stats/percentages that were pretty shocking.

It got me to thinking about when I was kid at school in the 60s and 70s.

My grade school had about 4-500 students and there were no ''fat'' kids. A couple were kinda big, but not obese by any stretch.
Same deal in my high school of 1,400 kids. A couple were big, fat maybe, but not a single ''obese'' or grossly fat kid. Not one that couldnt or didnt run a mile in gym class.

What do you remember?

Well back that long time ago most high school kids were hippies getting high all the time. How many fat pot smokers you know that smoke pot alot. LOL  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

This probably qualifies as pissing on your thread, and I'm sorry. Just brought back alot of bad memories.

Actually, I hardly understood all the acronyms in your post so it went over my head.

ETA: I hope I didnt insult anyone with my post. I wasnt pointing at anyone, just pointing out the difference between then and now.
When I was kid/teen, you had to manufacture your own entertainment and no kids were overweight. We walked or biked everywhere and were outside as long as our parents allowed us to be.
The fact there were no computer games, radio sucked and there were only three channels may have something to do with that.

NCOIC=Noncommisioned officer in charge
PT= Physical training (test) which consists of Pushups, situps and, 2 mile run

Those were the only acronyms I could find.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#33]

I wasn't eating. I was a young private and, I got a 275 on my PT test, and, when my squad leader took me aside, I thought he was gonna say how great I did.

I had to be one of a handful in the army that had in my medical records I HAD to be water tank tested to be put out on 600-9.

You lost me here.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I understand what you are saying.  I can't remember a day that me and the guys weren't out playing SOMTHING...Football, baseball..I was the master of 3 man football witha  "both ways" QB

Fairly funny to see a fat kid split out, but, the coaches were amazed that I could catch a football....Period.

Now, my kids come home and, sit down in front of the PS2.

The oldest is into anime, so, he goes into his room and draws.

They aren't my kids biologically, so, I have limited moral authority, AFAIC.

We live in a sparcely populated place, and, I guess, there aren't those opportunities we had....But this twon is like 30 thousand, and, I grew up in a place of 3K.

Different culture now.  It's just the reality.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I wasn't eating. I was a young private and, I got a 275 on my PT test, and, when my squad leader took me aside, I thought he was gonna say how great I did.

You lost me here.

OH!  Sorry.  Yeah.  I gotchya.

600-9:  Army weight and assorted associated regs.
Tape:  A tape measure around your neck and, waist to see what your Bodyfat content is.
Score:  three events, possible 100 points from each event.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#36]
[Eric Cartman]I'm not fat, I'm big boned![/Eric Cartman]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
It's pretty frustrating that the BMI is recognized.  I guess everyone has to be a skeleton.

I think that they assume that no one goes
to the gym...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that they assume that no one goes
to the gym...

That's my guess.  I was stunned when I realized that I was considered obese at 209.

Dude.  I WASN'T EATING.  I went to duty, went to the barracks at lunch and slept.  I came home from duty, ran, and, SLEPT.

My roomie actually narked on me.

But, I'm still a fatass by Army stanards at that weight.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Goonboss - I'm in the same boat as you. The standards make now allowances for body type, and they are set for the average joe, which I sure as hell ain't.

I have never been considered "within standards" according to the Navy's chart, even in boot camp. Lucky for me, I have a 22" neck.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Our offensice line averaged about 235. I was a fat 6'6" and 275-290 durring the season. We also had a lot of fat kids in school. I graduated in 98' and I do live in one of the fatest states in the union.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#41]
I know a retired Pro Baseball player who is as fit as you could be and he is obese by his BMI.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I know a retired Pro Baseball player who is as fit as you could be and he is obese by his BMI.

Yes, there are a few people that have a high bmi and are not fat but you don't have to calculate bmi's to find out there are a lot of fat people, all you have to do is open your eyes! I was in Walmart last week and didn't see one normal sized person. Even the smaller ones would have been considered lardasses when I was growing up.

For the most part the ones yapping about how the bmi's are wrong are lardasses.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Obesity is way up.

fat fuck.

The BMI is bullshit.

Damn, a year or so ago I was obese and could run a 7:50 mile, do 32 pushups, and 61 sit ups in two minutes...not good scores but not too shabby for an obese dude...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#44]
I grew up in the 50s and 60s in a rural area we didn't have enough free time to get fat.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#45]
When I went to school (70s-80s) there were plenty of "fat kids".  From baby fat to chucky to obese.  I was/am fat too but still managed to squeak out 4 years in the Army.

Today, it seems like all the kids I see are these skinny mean-looking kids.  I guess I don't see the fat ones because they're home sitting in front of their Xbox.

I dunno, it just doesn't seem all that different to me.

LL
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I went to school in the 50s-60s.  School lunch beverages were milk or water.  Can't remember if there were any sweets for sale.  We walked to school.  The only busses were for kid 'way out in the sticks'  Now they all ride the bus around here.  Either too far or so much traffic it isn't safe to walk.  

I'm single and eat out most of the time.  Cannot believe the way people eat.  Watched a little guy in a high chair fuss and cry for 15 minutes while the parents had three plates of dessert each.  Yes  they were both north of 300#.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Only one seriously obese kid in my grade. I just graduated this june btw. He was so fat and so mature looking that in 9th grade, we all honestly mistook him for the teacher when he walked in.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#48]
"Thanks for ruining my dad's business you fat fuck"
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Just one out of a few thousand students (1967-1970).
We were "outside" kids then, we'd be out until dark.
I feel that todays kids are forced to stay insde for their protection and just veg out.
Our kids grew up in the middle of nowhere and are both slim and healthy.
M
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Obesity is way up.

fat fuck.

The BMI is bullshit.

The BMI is a massive overgeneralization biased towards runners. However... you only need to look at the skyrocketing incidence of type II diabetes to confirm that obesity and all the attandent health concerns are runing rampant in our culture.

In one of my first endocrine lectures, the professor displayed a graph of the rise in type II DM in our culture superimposed over a graph showing the increase in soda consumption. they matched up almost perfectly. Our diet is crap, and it's killing us.

+1
These really should have been done as a function of percentage-bodyfat. 200lbs/8% is obese on the BMI scale. I don't know any professionals (fitness trainers, etc) who know about body types, who would ask for a survey based on BMI, or BMI alone.

Although, those number may not be very off at all in terms of 'over-fat', in our population.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top