Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 11:45:30 AM EDT
I cant figure out if the 3rd or the forth first one lasted about a year then broke and the spring that locks the blade in place went bad the next one broke about 20 minutes after it arived at my house this one lasted 11 months same type of break.

I love this knife because its very sharp and slim plus it looks great but damn what a POS!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a Strider PT or a Chris Reeve Sebenza.  You will not have to replace those.

From TAD Gear:

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#2]
1911greg,
What are you doing to them. Outside of breaking the point off a spyderco endura trying to open a door lock I've had nothing but good luck with them. Maybe it's just the Police model?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
1911greg,
What are you doing to them. Outside of breaking the point off a spyderco endura trying to open a door lock I've had nothing but good luck with them. Maybe it's just the Police model?

on the first one i think it was from holding the blade and flicking the handle, but i stopped that on this one i took it out of my pocket and realized that it broke no hard wear and tear

only thing i can think about is that i sometimes get salt water and possible sand on it, which could be rusting parts??
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#4]
stop trying to pry open pill bottles

(an oldie but a goodie)
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Spyderco police:  Long thin heavy all metal knife with traditional spring bar lock. Send it back to Spyderco and they will fix it for $5.00.
Then sell it only and buy the more cheaper and durable Endura or any liner lock knife.  If you want a really stout spyderco try to find a Tim Wegner large hunter.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I can see where flipping it open would break as for salt and sand though you should be able to see corrosion if that was the case.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I cant figure out if the 3rd or the forth first one lasted about a year then broke and the spring that locks the blade in place went bad the next one broke about 20 minutes after it arived at my house this one lasted 11 months same type of break.

I love this knife because its very sharp and slim plus it looks great but damn what a POS!

So buy a few more, ya numbskull  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 on Buck strider series
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So buy a few more, ya numbskull  

I only bought the original for 70 bucks,  I fucking hate CA if it was up to me i would carry my damn Ka Bar with my sheath that I built for concealed carry.  I would like to see that Ka Bar break.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I have two benchmade auto knives.  I only have the second because I lost the first and then found it in the back of the closet.  I've had the 1st one for 9 years and the second one for 7 years.  No problems, tough knives.  

Tom
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Benchmade +1
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Next time buy a stainless handle Endura.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

From TAD Gear:

www.tadgear.com/edged%20tools/images%20for%20pages/str-pt.jpg

www.tadgear.com/edged%20tools/images%20for%20pages/seb-std-sm.jpg

I second the Striderknives suggestion, they make a great tough as nails knife. The folks at Strider are very good upstanding people giving huge discounts to folks in active duty.

When I was at Camp Pendleton a few years ago, all we had to do was show 'em our military i.d. and they will give you the discount plus a SOCOM Strider shirt, a sweat shirt, baseball cap, decals. All these are Strider unique items meaning they aren't for sale to the public or new old stock stuff.

The Striderknives and Spyderco Delica/endura's are highly recommended.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From TAD Gear:

I second the Striderknives suggestion, they make a great tough as nails knife. The folks at Strider are very good upstanding people giving huge discounts to folks in active duty.

When I was at Camp Pendleton a few years ago, all we had to do was show 'em our military i.d. and they will give you the discount plus a SOCOM Strider shirt, a sweat shirt, baseball cap, decals. All these are Strider unique items meaning they aren't for sale to the public or new old stock stuff.

Of course they're going to give you a discount and free shit. As soon as anyone in any way associated with the armed forces starts using and wearing their gear, they can instantly claim their products are tactical.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#15]
The second broken one would have qualified as a clue.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Thats because you are military, not police.
You aren't authorized to handle it.

Get the military model.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:53:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From TAD Gear:

Of course they're going to give you a discount and free shit. As soon as anyone in any way associated with the armed forces starts using and wearing their gear, they can instantly claim their products are tactical.

Do you believe their folders are not strong or capable?  Or that they do not have one of the best warranties out there (break it, we will fix it)?  Are they not used by military?  I don't have a problem with someone calling something tactical, when it actually IS, apparently you do?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:57:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
stop trying to pry open pill bottles

(an oldie but a goodie)

I was waiting for this!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:00:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Have been carrying a spyderco Police model for yrs have it right now as a matter of fact and it has never given me any problems at all.  Best folder I have ever had.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:08:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Get a Native III, its my do everything knife around the house. I beat the crap out of it and it just soldiers on.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#21]
All you need.
..and it's got some heft.
I like a knife with some heft.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#22]
CRKT Crawford/Kasper, the big one. For the money (~$70) you can't beat it. I use mine to pry out those shipping carton staples.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Why are the police breaking your spydercos?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I guess you should have bought a Emerson
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Use it for cutting not prying, it won't break on you then.

A quote I once heard that stuck with me:

"A knife is the most expensive, least effective pry bar you will ever use."
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#26]
My local gas station won't even carry Spyderco anymore...

Digital
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Use it for cutting not prying, it won't break on you then.

A quote I once heard that stuck with me:

"A knife is the most expensive, least effective pry bar you will ever use."

Although I agree with your statement, I have used my Strider SnG to pry and it did just fine.  I would not trust many folders for prying, but that is one.  It did not give or break under considerable force.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

From TAD Gear:

Yeah, but $300+ for a knife is mucho dinero.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From TAD Gear:

Yeah, but $300+ for a knife is mucho dinero.

No doubt about that, but if you are buying less expensive ones that often, you will get there.  You can just buy a more expensive one once and have the added benefit of being able to count on it when you really need it.  I would guess most people on this board buy some high end guns when cheaper ones may serve the same technical purpose.  It's along the same lines.  

Not to mention you can always sell a higher end knife.  They usually hold their value fairly well, so if you need the money down the road, you can get back a fair portion of it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I have been carring a police model for about four years now and have had no problems.It has taken several bad falls to concrete from several feet and no breakage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top