BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 10:48:22 AM EDT
wat if
i left a driver license at home
and i get pullover by Cop for some reason
and cop ask me for my driver license
but i left the license at home
do i get ticket for that????????????????
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you?
Yes, it's a ticketable offense
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#2]
YES
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Depends on your states laws. At a minimum he'll get your pedigree info and confirm through his DMV whether you are licensed or not.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#4]
You would in PA.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#5]
yes, but you go to court with proof that you were licensed at the time of the ticketing and you get off scot-free
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Did you?
no no..i didn;t get pullover
but often times..i forget wallet at home..
Yes, it's a ticketable offense

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I do that all the time.  They'll call in to see if you do have a valid DL, if you do, you'll get a ticket for not having it.  Just go to court and show your DL and case dismissed.  If you dont, you'll get arrested for driving without a license
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes...

Do you have any clue how many times that cop has heard "I left it at home"?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
yes, but you go to court with proof that you were licensed at the time of the ticketing and you get off scot-free

I forgot about that, You have 24hrs to show proof of liscensure.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#11]
If you are a citizen yes, might even get your car impounded. Or you'll get a ticket for not being able to produce your id in a reasonable amount of time. Or if you act like an adult, you might just be told to make sure you carry it with you and let go with a warning.

If you are an illegal no. You'll probably get a gift certificate for a free license at the local Documents-R-Us, a maticular car, a voucher for food/ healthcare/ and a low-interest-government-backed housing or business-start-up loan.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#12]
It's not the fact whether you have a license,  but whether you have it in possession while operating the vehicle.  Just the same as you having proof of insurance.

Now,  I can't ever remember citing someone for this,  as stated a quick check is all that's needed.   But I'd say 95% of my warrant arrests start out with "I forgot my license"  It's certainly going to make me look at you a LOT closer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#13]
From 1956, the day he first got it,  to the present, my dad has never, ever carried his license, registration or insurance card.  His logic was that if/when he was pulled over, and the officer absolutely had to write him up for something, it would be for one or all of those things, rather than speeding or whatever.  He would then send in the appropriate papers, and case dismissed.

FWIW, he has never, ever received a summons for anything else than missing paperwork, and his "logic" has, so far, been spot on.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Here you will get a ticket for no operator's license on person. Bringing your license to court will not make any difference.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#15]
In CA it is a ticketable offense to be driving without a license, but they can't pull you over for suspicion of driving without a license (AFAIK).
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#16]
IIRC you can get a ticket here in Illinois.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
In CA it is a ticketable offense to be driving without a license, but they can't pull you over for suspicion of driving without a license (AFAIK).

what if i carry copy of my DL...??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top