Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2005 9:39:33 AM EDT
*This is NOT one of those stupid .gifs that jumps out and screams at you while you're trying to find the differance between two pictures.

I found this, possibly the greatest thing on the web, a good time ago but didn't get a printer until recently to try it out.  It is a little dragon cut out that you fold in such a way so as to trick the human eye into seeing in 3D.  I believe it is the same illusion that those busts in the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland/World use.  The ones that are in an alcove and follow you with their eyes as you walk past them.

It's only a short little project to put together and frankly I can't think of a cooler thing to have sitting on top of my monitor right now.  

Dragon Optical Illusion
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#1]
tag for home and color printer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I saved it to my computer and it's freaking huge.  How do I get this thing to be the correct size?

Digital
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I saved it to my computer and it's freaking huge.  How do I get this thing to be the correct size?

Digital

Try opening it with Adobe Acrobat Reader (rightclick on the file and "open with".  Keep "Always open with the specified program" unchecked and scroll down the list to Acrobat Reader (assuming you have it installed).

If you're viewing it in a program that shows it as a single page then it is probably being displayed properly and should also print correctly.  It's really easiest to just download the .pdf file provided on the site instead.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Digital

don't open it with MSpaint and lighting is key for this to work. Just made one a few minutes ago
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Just used the .PDF version and made one.

That's fucking cool.

From across the room, you don't even need to close one eye for it to work.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Tagitty Tag
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Tag.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Thats awsome.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I got it working and made one.  My brain must be too astute because it doesn't really work for me.  I'll wait for me girlfriend to get home and see how she reacts to it.

Digital
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#14]
building now!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I got it working and made one.  My brain must be too astute because it doesn't really work for me.  I'll wait for me girlfriend to get home and see how she reacts to it.

Digital

Are you closing one eye?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Digital

Are you closing one eye?

Yes.

Digital
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Worked good for me, just had to make sure I started looking at it from the correct angle.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#18]
It just seriously freaked out one of my co-workers . . .

WOW!

Disconnector
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow!  I had to print that out and try it.  It works great.  I don't even need to close one eye, and I'm only three feet away.  I guess the quality of construction would make a difference.  I was very picky about making it.

Of course, my co-worker could just barely see what I was talking about, even with one eye closed.  So maybe different people can see it better than others.  I see it beautifully.

(And I can never get those damn magic eye things to work.)
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Digital

Are you holding it in your hand and tilting your hand around, or is the dragon sitting on a table and you moving?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#21]
pretty neat
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#22]
taggage
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#23]
It's printing as I type this. I can't wait to try it out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I cant fold my laundry properly, there is no way I will be able to fold that correctly.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I cant fold my laundry properly, there is no way I will be able to fold that correctly.

I thought the same when I saw it.  Once I actually started working on it I realized it's not a difficult thing to fold.  It's no oragami crane.

RE those not being able to see it even with an eye closed, try doing what the lady at the end of the linked article suggested.  Put it inside of a fish bowl, vase or some similar object.  This seems to make it work even better.  Lighting is also imperative.  If you're in a very dimly lit room it will not work.  I tried that last night.  Seems to work a bit better with natural light or flourescent.  Incandescent light sucks anyway and the blubs cost way to much to keep replacing.  

For me focusing at the "top" of the head can sometimes defeat the illusion and then focusing back at the snout or front row of teeth will make it happen again.  I've got poor eyesight anyway so that may be a reason it's so easy for me to see it.

Great little project for the kids if you ask me.  An opportunity to spark an intrest in how eyesight works and how the brain interprets images.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#26]
+1 on putting it in a vase or at least behind some glass. This way you can view it with both eyes open. Awesome!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I just made my second one. The first time I was too stupid to follow the folding instructions properly and couldn't figure out why it didn't work. I made another one, this time actually following the directions, it works great.

I want to make a bigger one now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Tag.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Now that I think about it  (and because of others responses) I'm becoming more and more positive that it is my imperfect eyesight that makes this guy easy for me to see the illusion so well.  I have it about 3 feet away from me on top of my monitor at about a 30 degree angle.  If I look at it with my glasses off I can not see anything but the 3d effect.  With my glasses on I may not initially see it, but if I close one eye for a moment the effect is back and I can open them both again and the effect continues.

Transitioning between good vision and corrected (moving my head so the object is outside the field of view of my glasses and then moving it back in) often will ruin the effect but closing one eye momentarily will bring it back.

I even have it positioned so that from just about anywhere in my apartment the illusion is maintined.  I have it sitting under my ceiling fan so it's constantly wobbling a bit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I've had one of those sitting on my monitor at work for several months now - it's fun watching people stare at it, as it "follows" them when they walk by.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Great little project for the kids if you ask me.  An opportunity to spark an intrest in how eyesight works and how the brain interprets images.

Actually I was thinking it might be just the sort of thing a classroom or little league team could print out (on card stock paper), fold'em up and sell for a buck or two each to raise money for a class trip/uniforms/equipment, etc. Just set up a table at small community fairs, gatherings, etc.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I also had some problems with not seeing; I had folded the head wrong.

The folds on the head are very important and you must do them exactly according to the instructions. It's counter-intuitive, but the head is actually
folded so that it's concave.

I had to re-fold mine, and now it works like a champ. Little bugger keeps staring at me!

Here's some pics to illustrate what I'm talking about:

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#33]
tagaroo
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I want to make a bigger one now.

Like a 6' one made out of plywood.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#36]
LMAO, I freakin love it. Thanks for posting that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#37]
tag.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
+1 on putting it in a vase or at least behind some glass. This way you can view it with both eyes open. Awesome!

If you set it up and get far enough away from it you can keep both eyes open as well. just at least 3 or 4 feet away. Look at something else and then look at it, you will more than likely have trouble *not* seeing the illusion.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Made one worked for me but not my GF.  she wears glasses.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Ok, that's just weird.  My experience is that it should work doubly better for glasses wearers.

Send her over to my place tonight.  We'll get it figured out or get exhausted trying.

(good Futurama avey btw)
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, that's just weird.  My experience is that it should work doubly better for glasses wearers.

Send her over to my place tonight.  We'll get it figured out or get exhausted trying.

(good Futurama avey btw)

I think she might have just been PMSing on me and didn;t care.....still want her to come over?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#42]
tag
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I think she might have just been PMSing on me and didn;t care.....still want her to come over?

Oh God no!  

I'll see her in a few weeks.

Us singles always forget that women do that shit, and all the other shit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:14:06 AM EDT
[#44]
We had two of them on the counter last nite, side by side...spooky!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:49:48 AM EDT
[#45]
tg for home
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:35:12 AM EDT
[#46]
did not have much luck
once i finnaly folded it right i think- i still do not see much- I think the problem is i KNOW how its folded
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#47]
It seems to work better if the corner with the left foot/tail is pointing towards you.   My kids thought it was "AWESOME!!!"

Thanks for the link Mauser101!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:10:03 AM EDT
[#48]
I showed the dragon to my girlfriend and her brother and the both thought it was cool.  I have it sitting on top of the curtains in my living room.  I walked by it today and nothing, but then on my second pass I closed my left eye rather then my right and it worked great.  I think it's because my vision is better in my dominant eye that I hadn't been able to see it before.

Digital
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#49]
tag
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#50]
I made one at work yesterday and everybody here thinks it's cool as hell.

I'm gonna print one in color at home for the kids.....  

This thing rocks !
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top