Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 9:14:47 AM EDT
Here is my question:

For the most part, humans believe that God is universal, e.g., he rules the entire universe.

For the most part, humans believe that the universe is infinite or nearly infinite.

For the most part, humans believe that God created us in His image.

Now comes the fun part:

Given the size of the universe and number of stars, etc, it is very nearly probable that intelligent life does exist elsewhere in the universe.

Given the way that our civilization grew and matured, an alien civilization would probably go through a similar cycle.

This being stated, the alien race would probably have a "god" of their own.

Now, given the nearly infinite variation in the universe, the chance is that these aliens do NOT look like us, depending on what their world is like.

Being that they have a "god" and the probability is they would think that "god" created them in His image..........

-Who is right?  
-Is our God just ours?
-If these aliens visited Earth and got into a Theological discussion, how would current religion reconcile with their existance and their beliefs?

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
hmmm, too much for folks?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#2]
who here believes  the universe is infinite?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
hmmm, too much for folks?

Nope, just pointless. Who among us with a true faith is going to say anything other than "we are right" when faced with a scenario about a hypothetical race with their own deity?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#4]

-If these aliens visited Earth and got into a Theological discussion, how would current religion reconcile with their existance and their beliefs?

The species with the biggest guns wins.  The winner has God on his side.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
How great would it be if they stepped off their ships and tried to evangelize us to Jesus?

I don't know if I could suppress a big fat I TOLD YOU SO!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Aliens don't believe in God.  They just want to plant their seed in you and use you for food.

[loading more mags]

Besides, haven't you heard?  God is dead.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Jack HAndy already has this covered

If aliens from outer space ever came and we show them our civilization and they make fun of it, we should say we were just kidding, that this isn't really our civilization, but a gag we hoped they would like. Then we tell them to come back in twenty years to see our real civilization. After that, we start a crash program of coming up with an impressive new civilization. Either that, or just shoot down the aliens as they're waving goodbye

Higher beings from outer space may not want to tell us the secrets of life, because we're not ready. But maybe they'll change their tune after a little torture

If Alien was my friend, I'd like to be with him when he went to the dentist. When they started drilling, he'd probably go nuts and start eating everybody. That Alien!

I wish outer space guys would conquer the Earth and make people their pets, because I'd like to have one of those little beds with my name on it

“Can you imagine a peaceful world free from crime and hate?  I can.  And I can imagine us attacking that world because they would never expect it!”
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll be glad to answer, in a theological fashion, before this gets moved to the Segregated Religious Forum.

I can only speak to the question as a Christian.

Christians get their theological beliefs from only one place, the Bible.

The Bible is silent on the existance of other people (or aliens) in the universe.

Therefore, a Christian can only say, "The Bible is silent.  And when the Bible is silent, it is best for me to do the same."

You are welcome.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top