Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 6:30:36 AM EDT
New term limits for offices

1 term for President
2 terms for Senators
2 terms for Representatives

I know we'd end up forcing out some good members of congress, but the benefits would include
a) a more responsive congress (in theory)
b) the end of the "ruling class" of  "career public servants" (ie, the people who have been in congress for most of their lives)
c) limit the damage any one politican (or group of them) could do.

Not that it'll happen, but it sure would be nice
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#1]
A great change would be to fix it is to change the voting system.

You should be allowed to vote for multiple candidates - say 6, for each office.

So you could vote:

1 - libertarian
2 - constitutional
3 - republican

Your vote will go to the person that has enough to win.   So if the libertarian doesn't have it, it goes to the constituional, if that fails, the the republican gets the vote

This would eventually BREAK the 2 party system

Remember, even George Washington warned about the 2 party system
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:35:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Too much change, Congressman for example would always be new.  I think the 2 term limit for President works fine.  I would like to see term limits for Senators  and Reps though.  Maybe 3 terms for Senate and 10 for House
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

.  Maybe 3 terms for Senate

18 years!!

and 10 for House

20 years!!!

Too much time
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I think two terms for President is reasonable.  Keeps 'em honest during that first term, at least, since they want a second one.  But limits on Congress would be a definite plus.  Congress sure won't do anything about it, though.  The states will have to get together and pass a Constitutional amendment, or maybe they can each pass state laws limiting terms for their Congress critters.

I think two terms for Senators and five for Reps is plenty.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Been to Washington lately?  It's going to take a hell of a lot of time and effort to fix it all.  Then you've still got the politicians.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:40:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The "Two Party System" is what's killing us now. The bastards know that either way one of em' will get into office so they don't really care about "The People" anymore.  I say we do away with Parties all together and just have People run for office, then we can vote for the person that we like best, not for the Party we want in office.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:44:14 AM EDT
[#7]
If you shorten the terms you are going to get the perpetual campaign cycle that you had during the Clinton admistration.  No real work would ever get done.  and PLEASE don't suggest and end to the two-party system.  Multiparty systems are horrible.  Look what they've done to France, Canada, Sweden, Germany, Spain, etc....  You end up with a bunch of small-minded fringe candidates from one-issue parties.  The two-party system is the least disfunctional form of democracy.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The "Two Party System" is what's killing us now. The bastards know that either way one of em' will get into office so they don't really care about "The People" anymore.  I say we do away with Parties all together and just have People run for office, then we can vote for the person that we like best, not for the Party we want in office.  

That's what we have today.  You don't need to be part of a party to run.  Parties arose because practically, you need some form of organization in a nation of 300 million people.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:45:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

.  Maybe 3 terms for Senate

18 years!!

and 10 for House

20 years!!!

Too much time

It's realistic though, 4 years for Reps. is not.  And it is better than what we have currently
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Best way to fix Washington is to move the Capitol to Nebraska.

Patty

*ETA* Term limits were found unconstitutional in Oregon
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
New term limits for offices

1 term for President
2 terms for Senators
2 terms for Representatives

I know we'd end up forcing out some good members of congress, but the benefits would include
a) a more responsive congress (in theory)
b) the end of the "ruling class" of  "career public servants" (ie, the people who have been in congress for most of their lives)
c) limit the damage any one politican (or group of them) could do.

Not that it'll happen, but it sure would be nice

Term limitations for the legislators was discussed around, i believe,  1789....
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:46:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Rather than focusing on the length of terms for elected officials, focus on the money that they can spend.  Require a real balanced budget (not Washington style accounting).  
Pass a constitutional amendment that the total tax burden on all Americans cannot exceed 10% of the gross national product.  It is bullsh*t that the average tax bill exceeds what most people pay for food, housing, clothes and transportation combined!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you shorten the terms you are going to get the perpetual campaign cycle that you had during the Clinton admistration.  No real work would ever get done.

Which would have the effect of limiting the damage they could do .

and PLEASE don't suggest and end to the two-party system.  Multiparty systems are horrible.  Look what they've done to France, Canada, Sweden, Germany, Spain, etc....  You end up with a bunch of small-minded fringe candidates from one-issue parties.
But if those fringe candidates aren't allowed to remain in office for too long before being replaced, I think you'd have a MUCH better represtation of what the country actually thinks.

The two-party system is the least disfunctional form of democracy.  

We don't have a two-party system right now.  Giving non-"big two" candidates a fighting chance to be elected would be damned good for this country.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top