Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 12:19:57 AM EDT
....in Siberia, 1908. For the "uninitiated", this is that big explosion in the middle of Sibera, the cause of which being unknown for sure and highly debated. The explosion flattened trees and leveled everything for miles, people that were 300 miles away from the center of the blast reported a "deafening bag" and "firey clouds" on the horizin (to be "deafening" from 300 miles is one pretty darn loud explosion).

I've heard theories that say it was a meteor, aliens, etc. etc., even that the Tesla scientist guy was doing some weird experiment that got out of control. The evidence doesn't completely point to any of the options out there.

What do YOU think?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#1]
meteor.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:23:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
meteor.

+1

Either that or a large pack of chupacabras got in a fight with a bunch of yetis over the spoils of the Earthling vs Orionites war.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:33:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:35:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I have this picture above my sofa, it's a Thomas Kincaid.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:40:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I knew it was only a matter of time...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:49:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Whatever it was, it was George Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:03:01 AM EDT
[#8]
They had a show on Discovery or the History channel about it some time ago. Looked like they had pretty well proved it was a meteor of some kind. They even did testing to show how the angle of impact in relation to the way the trees were blown down.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:20:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Whatever it was, it was George BushKarl Rove's fault.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:24:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Glock testing facility. The early prototypes were scary dangerous.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:24:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Funny, I've never heard of this before.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:32:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

... oh, to be young again <sigh>
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:06:33 AM EDT
[#13]
lighting farts can be dangerous
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:12:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Nikola Tesla did it, just for fun.  I heard when that guy died the .gov raided his house and took everything he was working on and it is still sealed up.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:14:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Cheesy, but
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:10:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.psi.edu/projects/siberia/tung4.jpg

I have this picture above my sofa, it's a Thomas Kincaid.

170 km Southwest of Ground Zero

Smoke on the horizon
Painting © William K. Hartmann
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:13:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:26:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Nikola Tesla did it, just for fun.  I heard when that guy died the .gov raided his house and took everything he was working on and it is still sealed up.  

He did things that haven't been replicated to this day.

I read that Byrd was on an expedition to the Arctic and Tesla was going to send him a "message" of some sort.

He sent it, Byrd didn't see anything, but when Tesla learned of the Tunguska (sp?) event he disassembled his equipment.

BTW, as a side note, we can thank Tesla for our AC power grid.  Edison was a fan of DC, but it doesn't transmit well over long distances.  Tesla worked for Edison, but couldn't convince him to go with AC.

Edison frustrated Tesla.  He saw Edison as a tinkerer rather than a scientist.  Look at how many attempts were made before Edison had a working light bulb.  Tesla would sit down and do intense design work, then build something that worked, rather than endless trial and error.

Westinghouse built air brakes for trains.  To get at Edison, Tesla sold his AC patents to Westinghouse for a pittance, and that's how Westinghouse got into the electricity business.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:05:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
They had a show on Discovery or the History channel about it some time ago. Looked like they had pretty well proved it was a meteor of some kind. They even did testing to show how the angle of impact in relation to the way the trees were blown down.

+1. Saw the same show. blast pattern was kinda butterfly shaped and they did some calculations and determined all kinds of things about it like height, speed, trajectory,etc...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#20]
And no one has mentioned tannerite yet?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:30:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Two similar events but much smaller happend in America.  One was believed to have caused the infamous Chicago fire (not the cow tipping over the lantern).  Another was some pioneer village that was set ablaze and the people jumped into the river to survive.  Big bang preceded both instances.

Shok
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:34:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

So, was that the first Glock KaBoom!?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I heard that a theory was that some anti-matter entered the atmosphere...

- AG
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:42:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheesy, but

+1 Patty
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I heard that a theory was that some anti-matter entered the atmosphere...

- AG[/quote

Yes, I've read treatise from both Asimov and William James Sidis propounding just that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Wasnt is supposed to be equal to a  20megaton blast?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I've heard conflicting reports about debris left.

I think the anit-matter/non-meteorite group claims no meteorite material was ever found.

The meteorite group claims small pieces were inbedded in trees.  

Anyone know which one was more true?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#28]
My problem with the antimatter theory is that if it was X quantity of anti matter then quantity X would have to be VERY small because any significant amount of anti matter would have caused an explosion MUCH more intense than the one witnessed and it would have happened at a much greater altitude.  Another issue is WHERE did the antimatter come from???  It couldn't have come from very far away as even "empty" space has quite a bit of actual MATTER floating around in it....free atoms of several gasses, micrometeorites, subatomic particles, etc.  When matter and antimatter collide both are obliterated, therefore a long trip through space is unlikely because the "antimass" would have long ago evaporated one would think.  Not to mention upon contact with our relatively thick atmosphere any significant quantity of antimatter would almost immediately detonate and it would have definitely caused a worldwide stir.  A small amount wouldn't have made it so far into the atmosphere.

I say meteor or comet.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I thought that there was a layer of material found in the area that was considered to have above average densities of cosmic materials indicating it was meteor?  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... oh, to be young again <sigh>

+1

So mush shit / information we take for granted - particularly basic stuff about history and science - and kids coming up today aren't even being taught about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top