Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 8:25:08 PM EDT
I run a cable system and last night our satellite stations all went to hell.

Lots of dropouts, pixelating, dropped audio....most of the dishes...lots of interruption.

It's still acting up tonight, though not as bad....other cable systems in the area are reporting the same thing.

Anybody else having problems with communications equipment?

www.spaceweather.com/

www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/watchtheskies/aug05_cme.html

Here is movie....www.nasa.gov/mpeg/125929main_current_eit_195small.mpeg

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#1]
yeah, internet has been spotty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#2]
when did nasa announce there would be problems? I've seen it before but this time I didn't here anything about it till now.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Happens every year...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know if they have...but it sure is causing problems with us.

I could see 1 LNB on a dish acting up....but all the LNB's on 3 or 4 dishes...something is definately going on.

I also talked to other cable systems today, and they were reporting weird problems as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Happens every year...

Yeah, satellite eclipse happens every spring and fall, but this is just out of the blue....and is happening at night....so it isn't the sun eclipsing the satellites.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah only its been going on for some time. The reciever downstairs doesnt recieve the signal almost at all while the reciever upstairs works fine, the both get their signal from the same dish. I've checked the connections and they're fine. I called the sat company and they said to turn up the signal meter but i have no clue where its at and the lady on the phone didnt help much since i could barely understand her accent
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Real time pics...damn.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Those uncomfortable hotspots have always been a problem with nuclear fusion !
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I was listening to the radio Monday night, and at about 8:30 PM PST about 90% of the AM stations went dead. FM was fine, but I lost almost everything on the AM radio for about 15 minutes.

Related?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#10]
tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top