Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2001 3:52:50 AM EDT
GUARD as a militia or a standing army? I am talk the DICK ACT only, so stay on track here!!Anyone know?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
GUARD as a militia or a standing army? I am talk the DICK ACT only, so stay on track here!!Anyone know?
View Quote

I believe you are referring to the Dick Bill of 1903 which separated the Militia into two groups - the organized militian known as the National Guard and the reserve militia.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.guncite.com/hci2nd.html[/url]

"Drastic changes in the nature of the militia since colonial times have virtually guaranteed that reasonable regulation of the private ownership of firearms will not offend the Constitution. The colonial concept of a citizen military force using firearms owned by the militiamen disappeared with the 1903 enactment of the Dick Act, ch. 196, 32 Stat. 777, which provided for an organized militia to be known as the National Guard, to be equipped and armed through federal funds and subject to the shared control of the states and the federal government. Although all able-bodied males between 18 and 45 are designated members of the "unorganized militia,," 10 U.S.C. § 311 (1982), such persons are neither supplied arms by the federal government prior to a call to National Guard duty nor are they required to furnish their own arms. In addition, no state requires its citizens to supply their own firearms for service in a militia."
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#3]
You just HAVE to know that if McUZI had created a post with the word "DICK" in it, he'd have been banned for sure !
[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top