Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 7:41:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Not very well.  My left foot started hurting for no reason last week, hasn't gotten any better.  Makes sleep very difficult, I have a bad limp, and ibuprofen doesn't help. I'm seeing a doctor soon.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#2]
this isn't a legalize dope thread is it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#3]
remember pain is mental, if you can focus on tasks at hand you can block out or forget the pain. Or when i get home and my knee or back or shoulder are hurtin ill put a heatin pad on the offending ache and it helps, but beware sleepin with one seein as you can be burned by one
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Pain meds... They make life grand!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#5]
heroin.

on a serious note, don't fall asleep with a heating pad. my father has chronic back pain, and he's fallen asleep on numerous occasions with one. he's got scars and burns all over his back and now looks like a Vietnam POW who got flogged.

also, as someone else already mentioned. pain is mostly mental, you may want to check out the book Mind Over Back Pain by John Sarno, MD.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Oxycontin 40 mg BID.  Told you my wife's back is messed up bad.  And it's been over 3 years since her surgery.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#8]
ive had intense pain sense i was 18 months old. after a while you really dont notice it. pain is mental it only affects you if you let it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#9]
well, they had my wife on enough oxycontin to drop a rhino.......

they installed a signal generator to scramble the nerve signals.......

that crapped, and got reinstalled - repeat 4x

then they switched to methadone.......

now, since it was at toxic levels, they are backing off on that ......

they are doing trigger point injections and rosottemes (sp?) that seem to be working

and Ballet is helping.

Just remember, ALL drugs have real side effects.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#10]
[Sgt. Barnes]   Take the pain !   [Sgt. Barnes]  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
remember pain is mental, if you can focus on tasks at hand you can block out or forget the pain. Or when i get home and my knee or back or shoulder are hurtin ill put a heatin pad on the offending ache and it helps, but beware sleepin with one seein as you can be burned by one

Fucked up neck & back here.....  Trust me, that only works up to a point.

Only so much you can 'ignore'.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
ive had intense pain sense i was 18 months old. after a while you really dont notice it. pain is mental it only affects you if you let it.

Kinda the same here had moderate gut pain for 5 years now went to a ton of docs spent about 5K out of pocket god knows how much insurance monay  they found nothing
anyway i hardly notice it anymore
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I went to a pain management clinic that actually taught you how to mentally block the pain out.  After years of painkillers, something finally worked.  The problem with naroctics (other than the obvious) is that they sensitize the pain nerves.  The more you take, the more you need to take to ge the same effect.  LOTS of things happen to your personality under heavy drug use..

Pain also creates the same chemical changes in the brain that clinical depression does.  Prozac has the effect of making you a slap happy idiot if you are on it due to pain problems.  

Once in a while, I still end up popping a vicodin.  Now its maybe two a month.

It's a hard road.

Ops
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I just deal with it mentally. Some days it's worse than others. Difficult to work or sleep. Occasionally I'll take some ibuprofen. But no serious meds.

What's the alternative? Off yourself?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I have bone spurs in my feet. They are very painful, especially since I run in boots 60+ miles a week.  When they thorb I do breathing exercises to soothe the pain.  With these breathing exercises I can make my feet relax which helps ease the tension and reduce the throbbing.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I went to a pain management clinic that actually taught you how to mentally block the pain out.  After years of painkillers, something finally worked.  The problem with naroctics (other than the obvious) is that they sensitize the pain nerves.  The more you take, the more you need to take to ge the same effect.  LOTS of things happen to your personality under heavy drug use..

Pain also creates the same chemical changes in the brain that clinical depression does.  Prozac has the effect of making you a slap happy idiot if you are on it due to pain problems.  

Once in a while, I still end up popping a vicodin.  Now its maybe two a month.

It's a hard road.

Ops

That's true, my friends brother is hooked on pain pills. The more he takes the more he needs. He's becoming a worthless little whining runt that won't do anything but smoke and take pills.

I have a bad neck injury and was introduced to the wonderful world of pain meds a few years ago. I only took them a few days, it took longer than that to get them out of my system. I started taking real good care of my health after that, lost some wt, started eating better. I also have some old shoulder and elbow injuries that flare up quite a bit.

Mental attitude plays a big part in how you handle pain. It's hard nowadays because of all the advertising on tv and because of the modern notion that you should never be uncomfortable but back in the olden days people were tougher. My dad pulled one of his friends teeth in the backroom of his store!

Also, a cop told me that a tazer doesn't work on animals. I don't know if that's true or not but I've seen animals do things that people in simular situations would not easily do. It's like they don't know they can't do stuff or something, wierd. My grandma had a cat that was missing 3 paws, they kept getting caught in leghold traps. He just hobbled on the other paws. . .

Try not to make your current pain worse. That might sound funny but a lot of people have a condition yet go on with things that aggravate it. I noticed when I started watching my diet I no longer had stomach aches. Smoking ciggarettes make some kinds of pain worse as well, something about cappillaries and circulation. That's why dentists and surgeons will tell you that you will heal slower if you smoke.

Anyway, good luck with your pain, hopefully it will be short lived.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#17]
as stated it is all a mental image thing, focusing on the pain like envisioning it as a box or a light bulb, the box folding into its self and getting smaller the light bulb growing dimmer, these type of exercizes work well for most "chronic" pain, arthritus, back issues, feet, etc
lived with a LARGE hernia in my got for last 10 years, had it fixed 3 times in 14 months andit is tearing out again,,,i just deal with the discomfort,
far as arthritus, have it in hips, knees, feet, hands,,hurts all the time, sometimes worse than others, asprin and some subsitutions help but,,again have to fight it or it will overcome me, be fluid or be stiff as a board at some point.
just my .02 best of luck with your issue at hand
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Sometimes I can barely walk. Other times I don't feel anything. Between the damaged hip, arthritic knees, lower back and shoulders, the bolts in my foot, the carpal tunnel, my blurry vision, the PTSD and the occassional kidney stone, I get headaches from blocking out all the pain. Then I just take the meds. Fuck it. Naproxin works well and when that fails, the hydrocodone helps. I asked for percs, but they want to save that for after the operations.

Spent the afternoon out in the sun today. That felt as good as a week's vacation.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:23:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Just keep going.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Drugs, legal of course.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#21]
750mg glucosamine 2x a day, with 500mg chrondroitin 2x a day  takes the stabbing pain off my knees and helps my back tons... but if i miss a day or two... oh man.       Also i'm only 20.

i used to goto the doc for muscle relaxers/pain killers when it got bad.. but they only mask the pain instead of repair or at least stop cartiledge damage.  

and yes... i'd say pain is at least 75% mental... there is some pain you just can't ignore, like when your back goes out and crawling on the ground to the bathroom is the only way.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:16:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I use nothing, I have constant pain. I try to ignore it. It's real hard.

AB
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:18:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Ibuprofen for breakfast.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:31:41 AM EDT
[#24]
For people who are having severe troubles with pain there are several pain patient support groups online. They offer various kinds of help, ranging from talking with other people with similar problems to arranging charity flights to doctors who may be able to help.

The US Dept of Health and Human Services has estimated that two-thirds of terminal cancer patients do not get adequate pain treatment. The numbers are higher for non-terminal people.

Several major medical associations in the US are now engaged in active fights with the US Government over the DEA's interference in the treatment of pain.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:33:32 AM EDT
[#25]
My dad swears by cortisone shots for his chronic back pain.

He used to wander around the house all night because he couldn't sleep, but not anymore.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:37:29 AM EDT
[#26]
A week?

That ain't cronic pain.

Take a pill and get some rest, then get back to me if you still have it a year from now.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:13:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I've noticed its usually worse on the weekends..........more time to think about it, so I would say at least some of it is in your head. I've taken Vioxx, Bextra and now celebrex + other prescription pain meds, and am now to the point of just taking tylonal and advil mostly, and just trying to stay busy. If I don't work out its really bad but I have to take advil or something to work out, life sure is fun
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Prayer
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Guys,the only one of us how really has any pain is sgtar15. The rest of us are faking or just plain pussies.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Guys,the only one of us how really has any pain is sgtar15.

The SHAME of a grown man playing with dolls?  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#32]
I've got fibro and arthritis, other shit thrown in there too.  Not currently treating any of it because I've tried the standard pain meds/treatments with no real luck.  I just push myself, exercise, try to stay active.  I'll be honest, it doesn't help (nothing does), but it's much better than the alternative (quitting or sitting around whining).  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Not very well.  My left foot started hurting for no reason last week, hasn't gotten any better.  Makes sleep very difficult, I have a bad limp, and ibuprofen doesn't help. I'm seeing a doctor soon.

Same thing has happened to me over the past few years.  The docs think it might have been gout but I think it was severe tendonitis or the start of arthritis (caused by athletics injuries and pronation in my foot).  See a doc about it--they can help a lot.  If it is gout you will want to alter your diet or go on meds before the uric acid crystals permanently wreck your joints.  

At various time large doses of Naproxen helped.  Also Viox (50mg?) helped one time.  The last time the doc gave me Indomethican (??? strong anti-inflamatory) and that worked in about a day.  

I did tough it out but I was miserable and limped a lot.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#34]
I have osteoarthritis in my lower back, hips, knees, upper back, and shoulders.  I am not yet thirty years old.  I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, which is another condition which causes chronic pain.  I have not had a pain free day in years.  I use pain pills, but sparingly, as they tend to mess up my stomach.  My last prescription was for Naproxen, is almost a year old, and haven't even refilled it once yet.  Heat therapy works great for me, for some people cold works better.  Low impact excercise with lots of stretching helps keep my joints from getting too stiff.  And massage is wonderful.  Fortunately, I have someone who loves me a lot and will rub my back without too much arm twisting.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#35]
-Pain killers during the day; ~2000mg Ibuprofine, a Vico if I'm really hurting
- Muscle relaxer's at night; 10~20mgs of Flexeril
- Caspacian linament (.75%!) morning and evening
- Caffine- coffee in the morning , Diet Coke during the day- with burbon in the evening

If I had known I would live this long, I would have been alot easier on myself as a kid.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I have been an amputee for the last 5 years.  I have severe phantom pian that I take Amitryptalyn (sp?)  It takes care of my pain and it helps me sleep also.  It is also called Elaville.  It is realy cheap, like $15 for 3 months worth.  Also, it does not have any real bad side effects.  Good luck, pain sucks
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guys,the only one of us how really has any pain is sgtar15.

The SHAME of a grown man playing with dolls?  

That's IT!  Twice in one day.

You're next beothc

Sgat1r5

PS  Wanta be a cowboy?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top