Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2005 7:37:11 PM EDT
Guys, this is truly amazing - the CZ-52, which already is chambered in a hotshot round, the 7.62 Tokarev, is able to be fitted with a new barrel - .22 Reed Express. This cartridge sends a 55-grain .224 bullet at 2302 fps into space, and presumably, through any bullet resistant vest other than Class IV.

Imagine the $150 CZ-52 with an additional $200 for the barrel - it's much less than half the price of the FN handgun.

Things that make you go "Hmmmm."
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Uh okay you want to pierce vests?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#2]
This ammo is going to cause a serious ruckus with the brady bunch when it gets noticed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Uh, yeah.

You don't?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, yeah.

You don't?hr

Hey man sure if they are worn by home invaders.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#5]
oh SWEET!
they're C&R eligible, right?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Another wonder cartridge.....   Yipeeee
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a job for Box O' Truth.  I think Old_Painless' ears are perking up right about now....!

HH

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Are the ballistics substantially different than .22 PPC?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Guys, this is truly amazing - the CZ-52, which already is chambered in a hotshot round, the 7.62 Tokarev, is able to be fitted with a new barrel - .22 Reed Express. This cartridge sends a 55-grain .224 bullet at 2302 fps into space, and presumably, through any bullet resistant vest other than Class IV.

Imagine the $150 CZ-52 with an additional $200 for the barrel - it's much less than half the price of the FN handgun.

Well, hmmmm.........

I like my CZ-52. This could make it more fun.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Holly shit! this just out.........    .460 Wby Mag can pierce ballistic vests with the trauma plate!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes because Cops are not the only people who wear kevlar vests. Bad guys actually wear that stuff too. The north hollywood shoot out would have been stopped sooner had one officer at the scene had a weapon that could have defeated the BA that the BGs were wearing. The Court house shooting in Texas, the BG was wearing BA. It's not an un common ocurance. Thats why the FN 5.7 is so great if you can get yer hands on enough ss190(or was the SS192 the good shit? I don't rembember, somone please correct me If i'm wrong.) ammo, because it will penetrate a vest to. But unfortunetly FN stopped importing the good ammo because of that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
thats nothing knew. guys have been loading 55gr 223 sabot rounds for those for years shooting them in the standard barrell.

i did a few just to see what it would do. kinda neat round.

Do you have any load data?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Another wonder cartridge.....   Yipeeee

Yep, another cartridge of the week.
Two years from now there will be a lot of slightly used barrels  floating around the EE.

Since the cartridge still has to fit thru the same mag,  I don't see many changes happening beyond a simple necking down.  Add to that the availibility in only one pistol( and not a good one at that) and it'll be a dead cartridge pretty quickly.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From a 10" Contender barrel...NOT from a CZ52-length barrel.

from linky: Point of note, the FN Five-SeveN reports 2200FPS from a 5" barrel with a 27g bullet, the .22 Reed Express is able to push a 45g bullet at the same speed from the same length barrel.

Not too shabby if true.

But it is still a 45 gr 22 cal round...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#21]
i have a 5-7 io think this would be a neat comliment for the price, plus the 7-7 ammo is frickin expensive
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

from linky: Point of note, the FN Five-SeveN reports 2200FPS from a 5" barrel with a 27g bullet, the .22 Reed Express is able to push a 45g bullet at the same speed from the same length barrel.

Not too shabby if true.

But a 45gr .22cal through a vest and into a BGS chest is still better then a 9mm, .40, .45 to the chest that doesn't penetrate his vest and only pisses him off more.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not too shabby if true.

I'll have to agree with this statement.  Since it's not going fast enough to fragment the wound potential is reduced.  But, what's better, a round that won't make it through the vest or one that will and only leave a small wound channel?  Any figures on energy yet?  I'd be curious to see how fast this round dumps its energy.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Sounds like a job for Box O' Truth.  I think Old_Painless' ears are perking up right about now....!

HH

I know you guys are going to find this hard to believe, but I already have a gun that will shoot a 55 grain .22 bullet at over 3,200 FPS.

It's called an AR15.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not too shabby if true.

I'll have to agree with this statement.  Since it's not going fast enough to fragment the wound potential is reduced.  But, what's better, a round that won't make it through the vest or one that will and only leave a small wound channel?  Any figures on energy yet?  I'd be curious to see how fast this round dumps its energy.  MJD

Don't matter that the wound channel is small, you get four or 5 or 6 of them inthere and it won't matter one bit. A bullet through the vest, not matter how small is better then a bullet that won't go through. Also do you knopw for a fact that a 45gr FMJ wouldn't fragment at that speed?? I don't have data to say it would, and I've not seen data to say it wouldn't either sooooooo.....
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not too shabby if true.

Don't matter that the wound channel is small, you get four or 5 or 6 of them inthere and it won't matter one bit. A bullet through the vest, not matter how small is better then a bullet that won't go through. Also do you knopw for a fact that a 45gr FMJ wouldn't fragment at that speed?? I don't have data to say it would, and I've not seen data to say it wouldn't either sooooooo.....

Meh, how about a 230 gr. 45 cal "flying ashtray" to the melon? (- or a couple of 00 buck-)
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not too shabby if true.

Meh, how about a 230 gr. 45 cal "flying ashtray" to the mellon? (- or a couple of 00 buck-)

Ever try hitting a moving head in the dark? or a moving head period? and 00 buck isn't going to do squat against a vest.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, yeah.

You don't?

Hey man sure if they are worn by home invaders.

For that scenario I have an AR15.  So the question becomes why do you want a concealable firearm that can penetrate soft body armor?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes because Cops are not the only people who wear kevlar vests. Bad guys actually wear that stuff too. The north hollywood shoot out would have been stopped sooner had one officer at the scene had a weapon that could have defeated the BA that the BGs were wearing. The Court house shooting in Texas, the BG was wearing BA.

Yep, which is why the responding police officers and the shooting instructor who responded should have grabbed a rifle.

Are you aware of any actual situation where a BG was wearing soft body armor and was engaged by a CCW holder who was somehow prohibited from grabbing a rifle, but was allowed to have his CCW pistol?

If you have time to go get a gun, get a rifle.  If your at home and body Armor wearing badguys attack, grab a rifle.  If you work in a pawn shop or such put a rifle behind the counter.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
For that scenario I have an AR15.  So the question becomes why do you want a concealable firearm that can penetrate soft body armor?

Because we can?  Good guys can go bad? Since when does a fear of abuse justify restricting/banning something?
Never mind.....
Matthew
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#32]
So what is the 7.62x25 giving up on the .22 reed?

Won't it defeat BA just as well as the Reed round with the benefit of having increased availability?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Are you aware of any actual situation where a BG was wearing soft body armor and was engaged by a CCW holder who was somehow prohibited from grabbing a rifle, but was allowed to have his CCW pistol?

If you have time to go get a gun, get a rifle.  If your at home and body Armor wearing badguys attack, grab a rifle.  If you work in a pawn shop or such put a rifle behind the counter.

The Texas courthouse shooter was shot at by a CCW holder.  The BG was wearing a vest, and he returned fire and killed the CCW holder.  He didn't have a rifle.  Most people who CCW don't carry a .308 over their shoulder too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

I know you guys are going to find this hard to believe, but I already have a gun that will shoot a 55 grain .22 bullet at over 3,200 FPS.

It's called an AR15.

Bahh, you anr yer damn logic     You know that dont fly here !
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

It's called an AR15.

Ever carry one Mexican-style?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

(shrug) A .223 barreled Thompson Contender has ALWAYS been able to do that.  non issue. Or at least, not a REAL issue. Kevlar vests never have been able to stand up to spire-tipped rifle bullets at those velocities.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a pistol that shoots 30 cal 123 gr fmj at 2100fps. It can take a 20 rd , 30 rd or a 75 rd drum. It is called a ak47 pistol. I have to make a holster for it carrying it under a winter jacket. Only problem is that in La the winter may last only a couple of days.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#38]
If I'm not mistaken, the 7.62 x 25, .30 luger, and 9x19 cartridges all share the same rim dimensions.  I'm not sure if the OAL of a .22 reed express cartridge would fit in a standard 9mm magazine, but if it did they could offer conversion barrels for Glock 17's.  This would be a huge commercial sucess as long as it doesn't get banned.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
So what is the 7.62x25 giving up on the .22 reed?

Won't it defeat BA just as well as the Reed round with the benefit of having increased availability?

Good question. ARFCOM's got it's thinkin' hat on tonight.

Read a post on gunboards.com by a Georgia LEO that has him documenting the shoot of S&B (and other) 7.62 x 25 on a ballistic vest that had reached its maximum service age, and had to be turned in.

In some cases, the vests were easily penetrated on one side, and one round even went through both. In other cases, the rounds were stopped in the front panels!

I have a sneaking suspicion that the vests perform differently when they are placed upon different materials replicating human tissues, and that (as you would suspect) differing rounds have variable performance, from "completely useless" to "very effective."

No surprise there, right? The Sherriff's thrust was that the performance of the .22 Reed out of the CZ-52 BBL would work in all scenarios, as the lowest level of its performance would exceed the highest capability of a Class IIA vest to resist such an attack.

And IN NO WAY am I suggesting or supporting the use of such weapons against lawfully-operating State Officials - that's INSANE.

Did Ol_Painless get locked because a theoretical innocent could be standing behind seventeen layers of drywall when he let loose that .45-70?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Yep, which is why the responding police officers and the shooting instructor who responded should have grabbed a rifle.

snip

Truer words, false teeth, blah blah blah. AR15 Fan's RIGHT ON THE MONEY, HERE.

Remember, a "pistol" is the little toy bangy-thing that you use to scare away Bad People until you can get to your RIFLE.

You guys know what I'm talkin' about when you see those Ol_Painless extravaganzas on the site - rifles SMASH targets into submission!

Damn, I was firin' the Garand at a metal clipboard last weekend, and you shoulda seen the sumbitch jump! Rifles is DA SHIT! In fact, .30 -cal rifles is DA BEST [ducking]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#41]
I doubt that velocity could be had with a 55 grain bullet out of a CZ52.  Even a .223 Rem out of a 10" TC Contender is about 2300 FPS.

A .22 Hornet out of a 10" is good for about 1900 and it has about the same case capacity as the .22 Reed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
If I'm not mistaken, the 7.62 x 25, .30 luger, and 9x19 cartridges all share the same rim dimensions.  I'm not sure if the OAL of a .22 reed express cartridge would fit in a standard 9mm magazine, but if it did they could offer conversion barrels for Glock 17's.  This would be a huge commercial sucess as long as it doesn't get banned.

That's interesting.

Glock firing a .22 reed.

I'll bet it would work. Why didn't FN and H&K try going down this path before they designed whole new class of firearms for the trials that the FN90 eventually passed?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's interesting.

Glock firing a .22 reed.

I'll bet it would work. Why didn't FN and H&K try going down this path before they designed whole new class of firearms for the trials that the FN90 eventually passed?

The CZ52 uses a delayed blowback action, for one.  That is the major difference between the Tok and Mauser.  Some minor dimensional differences...The Luger round is a bit different...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:44:45 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Texas courthouse shooter was shot at by a CCW holder.

Yep.  A CCW holder who heard the gunfire from his APARTMENT overlooking the scene and grabbed a handgun responded. Brave but foolish in that he should have grabbed a rifle.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:47:42 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because we can?  Good guys can go bad? Since when does a fear of abuse justify restricting/banning something?

I havent seen anyone advocate banning anything in this thread.  I'm simply curious why you want to carry a concealed friearm in public that can penetrate soft body armor while offering lessor performance than proven service pistol calibers against unarmored threats. An Ice pick penetrates soft body armor too, but it would be foolish to carry one instead of a 9mm, 40SW, or 45acp.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:21:43 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

It's called an AR15.

Ever carry one Mexican-style?

I have. Quite an exhilarating experience, actually.

Just make sure that if you lock the bolt to the rear the bolt catch doesn't release.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#47]
sounds like fun, but I still need a 7.62 barrel for the CZ.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Sounds like a keeper,

I say forget 6.8 and issue .22 Reed Express for our boys out in the box...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Dont get a new barrel, just get some .223 Timbs.

Fortier wrote a review of the Cz-52 with several kinds of ammo, the saboted .223 Timbs came out tops when it came to grouping. Velocity of it was in the 1800-1900 range.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's interesting.

Glock firing a .22 reed.

The CZ52 uses a delayed blowback action, for one.  That is the major difference between the Tok and Mauser.  Some minor dimensional differences...The Luger round is a bit different...

But don't you think would a .22 Reed express be capable of operating the action of a Glock with a simple recoil spring change?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top