Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 6:46:17 PM EDT
we have one now and were thinking of another to occupy the other guy during the days. we just built a fence for the little fella and im hoping i can talk my wife into getting a boxer. (we have a boston terrier 30 lbs) . in peoples experience do two dogs make a happier home or is two sometimes too much?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Much happier with two, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Having two dogs is nice because they keep each other company.
The only downside is double the cost of vet bills.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 3.  And I do rescue.  Introducing a new dog to a home with a dog already in it can be dangerous.   Especially if the second dog is dominant.  In that case a flat no is the answer.  Boxers can be animal aggressive.  If you want one,  best bet would be to get your dog fixed and get one of the opposite sex young so it will be smaller than your current dog.  Get the pup fixed as soon as it's old enough.  When they fight, and they will fight do not get involved until real damage is being done,  it's something they have to do to establish pecking order.  The worst fights are usually between 2 females.  

This is where I'll sound like an ass.  GET YOUR DOGS FIXED.  they will live longer, and be healthier.  And people like me, that do rescue will have less dogs around to help, which we like.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Having two dogs is nice because they keep each other company.
The only downside is double the cost of vet bills.

Agree. Our dogs are best buds. It was hard at first with two puppies, but it was worth it. The double vet bills suck, but we go through the Banfield health and wellness plan. That makes it a bit easier to manage financially.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#6]
i too have a boston terrier....Frankenstein.
He's about 6 months and man is he awesome. Love him.
I'll probably get another boston when I buy a house. (apt for now)
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This is where I'll sound like an ass.  GET YOUR DOGS FIXED.  they will live longer, and be healthier.  

Where's the "ass" part? Sounds like perfect advice to me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#8]
our guy is fixed already. we were thinking boxer because they arent overly large. the dog really loves getting smacked around by big dogs,he gos down to my wifes friends house weekly where he spends the day running with the labs and retreivers all day and taking his lumps. i dont see him being dominate at all but he loves being around other dogs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]
We have two one the weights about 6 lbs and one that weights 80 lbs.  They get along and are the best of friends and play with each other all day long.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#10]
You sound like you've socialized your dog very well.  Thank you.  I wish there more dog parents out there like you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#11]
You need TWO...

Because of the pack mentallity, if you only have one you will always come home to a mess in the house. You will also get less complaints from the neighbors about barking.

Lost my lab 9 years ago to cancer. The lapso destroyed the house everyday and chewed up the door molding, pissed on the door, barked, extremely aggitated, and would not stay in the yard. Found a new friend(Black lab, collie ,sheperd mix) and all the problems went away.

Get two..
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#12]
The more the merrier.

I had forty five dogs at one time. (sled dog teams)

Let the pack grow and enjoy

The dogs sure like it.

GM
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#13]

87 Dogs !
Sorry, Haven't seen MarkM around in a while, figgered somebody had to do it  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#14]
two, but make sure they get along, otherwise you're in for a heap of trouble.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#15]
vote for two as long as you can afford it,
you havent laughed until you have seen a 90lb german shepard back down for a 5 pound lap dog

these 2 got along so well, in the winter the shepard would find a comfortable place by the fire and the lap dog would climb up on his back and they would  both snooze for hours...and i have seen the shepard wake up and wait for the little one to wake up before he would move...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#16]
It depends upon the dogs really.  Some dogs are geared to be an 'only child' others do best with more siblings.

I have 12. Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It depends upon the dogs really.  Some dogs are geared to be an 'only child' others do best with more siblings.

I have 12. Patty

I realize that you raise and train dogs for a living, but damn, with gas prices like these are you getting a sled?.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have 12. Patty

I realize that you raise and train dogs for a living, but damn, with gas prices like these are you getting a sled?.

I should.  Actually if I had time for a new hobby I would try that skijorging [sp?] where the dogs pull you on sled and you shoot at targets.

Actually several of the dogs here are just here to be trained.

Patty

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:57:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Deffinatly get anotherone.  Dogs are pack animals, their supposed to be in groups.

Hell, I have 8 dogs, 6 of them are deaf.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:02:59 AM EDT
[#20]
three
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Patty,

Out of curiousity, what types are "loner" types?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Patty,

Out of curiousity, what types are "loner" types?

some dogs just tend to prefer to be by themselves.  I would recommend using a Volhard type test for any dog you get and make sure your over all score [if you're wanting to add an additional dog to the family] is about a 4 or a 3.5.  Loner types tend to be very bold and would score about a 1.5 to a 2.

http://www.awesomewebmaster.com/volhard.htm
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Much happier with two, IMO.

^
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#24]
We have a Golden Lab and a Golden retriever (males) and they live for each other.  If one were to go, I think the other would die soon after.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Two so they can occupy each other while you're gone.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I commend you on the choice of a boxer ...

I have a male and a female and they get along great ... Would suggest two of opposite sex.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Two so they can occupy each other while you're gone.

+1  I've also got 2 cats...for them to "play" with.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
87 Dogs !

Sorry, Haven't seen MarkM around in a while, figgered somebody had to do it  

Why does he do that?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#29]
We just added a pup to the pack. I have noticed the older male Boxer was a bit annoyed by the puppy at times. There is a 5 year age gap. The puppy gets jealous of the older dog when I show him more attention, but other than that, smooth sailing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top