Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2005 4:12:28 PM EDT
I visit this board daily, but do not post very often. I need a place to vent, so... My home was broken into today while my wife and I were both at work. I came home to find the front door slighty opened, and I instantly thought about the two shotguns I keep loaded in the house.  Didn't  know if someone was still in here or not, and the 1911 I bought last week is in the safe instead of in my hands where I really wanted it to be at that moment. Talk about a bad feeling. I came in and went straight to the closest gun, which was still there. Cleared the whole house and checked to see what was gone. They got two single barrel shotguns, a Marlin .22 mag, and a Rem. 700 .243. Makes me sick to my stomach. For whatever reason, they didn't take anything else. They even opened the drawer where my wife keeps her jewelry, because it was still open and didn;t take it.  The strangest thing is, I don't know how they got in. No damage to the door, it was unlocked when I found it. We keep a spare key hidden outside, but it was still there. Maybe I forgot to lock it when I left this morning, but that would be highly unlikey. Anyway, just thought I would share this. It is a bad feeling trust me. Just hope I can find out who did it. Stay safe. Nick
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Sad to hear.   I hope you were insured.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I visit this board daily, but do not post very often. I need a place to vent, so... My home was broken into today while my wife and I were both at work. I came home to find the front door slighty opened, and I instantly thought about the two shotguns I keep loaded in the house.  Didn't  know if someone was still in here or not, and the 1911 I bought last week is in the safe instead of in my hands where I really wanted it to be at that moment. Talk about a bad feeling. I came in and went straight to the closest gun, which was still there. Cleared the whole house and checked to see what was gone. They got two single barrel shotguns, a Marlin .22 mag, and a Rem. 700 .243. Makes me sick to my stomach. For whatever reason, they didn't take anything else. They even opened the drawer where my wife keeps her jewelry, because it was still open and didn;t take it.  The strangest thing is, I don't know how they got in. No damage to the door, it was unlocked when I found it. We keep a spare key hidden outside, but it was still there. Maybe I forgot to lock it when I left this morning, but that would be highly unlikey. Anyway, just thought I would share this. It is a bad feeling trust me. Just hope I can find out who did it. Stay safe. Nick

Probably saw you put the spare key wherever you have it, then just put it right back there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#3]
That sounds like an inside job to me, glad it wasn't worse. You might consider an alarm system.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you report the guns already?

-Derek
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Man that sucks, I hope you have insurance.

Also, change your locks just in case.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Teenage kids w/ "friends"?  Sorry for your misfortune!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds to me like someone you know did this. Knew you had the guns, knew where you kept them. Knew where you kept your spare key. sorry to hear about this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
maybe they found the key and put it back hoping in the future you would not change where it was located allowing a second easy trip.

edit: when i get a house of my own my spare key is going to be located at least 20 yards away from my door.  probably in the back of the house or something.  you should never need to use it, and if you do, a short hike to get it wont be the end of the world b/c you'd rather hike then be locked out
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#10]
No sign of forced entry anywhere?   Are you sure?  They could have entered somewhere else, and exited the front door.  

I'd move the outside key, or probably just remove it.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry to hear about that.  I hope you're insured to the max, and Mr. Clean's suggestion of an alarm system makes a lot of sense..AND..change the locks immediately.

HH
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Any repair work lately? A neighbor had a breakin a week after an interior paint job. Stolen property was traced back to one of the painters (not too bright IIRC). I had a near breakin in college (like we had a lot of stuff). They say the feeling is like getting raped. We sat around in the dark for a week or so with sharp items hoping they would return and finish it. Never did. Good luck on getting your stuff back.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Thats why I have 3 dogs along with multiple locked doors. While I do have a spare key, it is locked in a box and about 100yds from the house. You could search for a year and never find it. The lockbox key is somewhat accessable easily but won't do squat by itself. By the time someone tries the key only to find it does not work, 300 pounds of dog will be sitting at the door showing their teeth. They do NOT like the neighbor kids.

For every location that one thinks is cool, it has been used before. If I have to use the lockbox key it is moved to another location.

Sounds as if kids did it to me also. I'd make a list of every kid that knew the location of the key, knew you had guns, or just hangs around, and give it to the cops. I'd also see who no longer comes around, and keep an eye on them. Sorry about the loss.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#14]
My first thought is that they stole the guns and only the guns...worries me because they could return and use them against you.  Please be very careful.  Not like you won't. Sorry to hear it!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.  I know it makes you feel unsecure and somewhat violated to have your home broken into.  I'd remove the outside key and invest in dead bolt locks.  You'd be surprised how easliy you can get through a door that is locked and not dead bolted, after a little practice.  I hope they catch the thief and you get your guns back.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thats why I have 3 dogs along with multiple locked doors. While I do have a spare key, it is locked in a box and about 100yds from the house. You could search for a year and never find it. The lockbox key is somewhat accessable easily but won't do squat by itself. By the time someone tries the key only to find it does not work, 300 pounds of dog will be sitting at the door showing their teeth. They do NOT like the neighbor kids.

For every location that one thinks is cool, it has been used before. If I have to use the lockbox key it is moved to another location.

Sounds as if kids did it to me also. I'd make a list of every kid that knew the location of the key, knew you had guns, or just hangs around, and give it to the cops. I'd also see who no longer comes around, and keep an eye on them. Sorry about the loss.

I have a PACK of dogs.

They hate everyone that goes up to the fence...Which is about 10 meters inside our property line...Which they USED to patrol.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Sucks dude.  Sorry.  Report them stolen, NOW.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm sorry; I know from experience what an awful feeling this is.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry to hear about the break in.

I keep my spare key at my in-laws, and have an alarm with motion sensors.

When I was growing up my parents kept a spare key with some trusted friends close by.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the replies. We do have insurance, and everything has been reported. There are some teenage boys who live up the street that are always up to no good. we think they may have done it.  Hopefully, who ever it was will be stupid enough to get caught. An alarm system sounds like a good idea now. Nick
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:56:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Sorry man.  Find the bastards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top