Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2005 3:31:26 PM EDT
... died from a self inflicted gunshot ( EG Suicide )?  I've had more people in the last little while that told me that they don't like guns because "my ( fill in relative here ) shot himself/herself" and therefor should not be in the home.  Is this a canned response when someone can't think of something valid to say or what?

-Nw -
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Relative?  No.

Kid I went to High School with?  Yes.  Took his uncle's shotgun and *blamo*, headshot in the garage.  Mom found him...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I knew a kid once whos brother got drunk...or messed up on some drugs and commited suicide by setting himself on fire
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Best friends dad capped hisself.  She found him.  She was 12.  She's 29 now and still fucked up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
... died from a self inflicted gunshot ( EG Suicide )?  I've had more people in the last little while that told me that they don't like guns because "my ( fill in relative here ) shot himself/herself" and therefor should not be in the home.  Is this a canned response when someone can't think of something valid to say or what?

-Nw -

My grandfather shot himself in his backyard on Thanksgiving Day.  I was 16 at the time.  He was recovering from quadruple bypass heart surgery, was told he had a growth in his throat that would have to be removed, and was doped up on painkillers and narcotics the hospital gave him.  He thought he was going to be a burden to the family and didn't want to have to put us through all that.  I'd have preferred him to have him go through more of the surgeries than to choose to do what he did.

It can mess you up.  I can see how that could change a person's opinions about guns. Myself, I still collect them.  I realize he could have done a number of things to committ suicide, the pistol he has had since he was in WWII was just the easiest he could think of.  If it wasn't that, all he would have had to do was take a couple extra doses of painkillers and drink, that probably would have done it.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#5]
great grandfather blew his brains out. Didn't know him, heard he was a jerk.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#6]
This asshole at school killed himself with a shotgun
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Wife's dad did himself when she was a child. My wife is the only one in her family that wants to talk about it, but the others refuse. If I was married to her mom, I would probably take the same route. Anyway there was some question about the bungling of the investigation(at the scene) and failure to follow up on allegations that he had unknowingly stumbled upon a drug smuggling ring. I guess at the time he managed a truck leasing business for a national franchise.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Not directly , but my Ex wifes cousin stuck
a bolt action .270 under his chin and pulled
the trigger .

Believe it or not . It didn't kill him right away .
They finally pulled the plug about a month later .

It was no accident , and no one had any clue
why he did it
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Knew a kid in school that was ridiculed quite a bit. He put a big platic garbage bag over his head, stuck a .22 under his chin and pulled the trigger. Very sad.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

-Nw -

It happens alot more frequently than you might think...just most people choose not to talk about it. It seems like almost everyone I know, myself included, has had a family member or close friend do something like this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, my cousin shot and killed herself, but she was mentally unstable/ depressed to begin with, not like no one saw the warning signs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Nope, no guns. I knew a guy in High School that almost killed himself by swallowing half a bottle of asprin - more than 15 Asprins or Tylenols at once is enough to kill you. I remember hearing something about a drug overdose also, it was something like heroin or barbiturates. I don't know if it was an accident or on purpose.

ETA: Rates Per Country

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes.....
My brother  its hard to talk about....  Great father, wife and 2 kids 31 years old....
Was having slight depression so went to doctor... Doctor put him on 5 meds and he wasnt there 15 minutes??? Things at his home started to go badly almost immediately.. My father was over there talking to him twice a week.. Even called the doctors office and told them something wasnt right!!!!
Week or 2 went by with no effort from the doctor....
He took my grandfathers walther ppk that he brought back from ww2 and shot himself....
GOD KNOWS I miss him and wish he could see how his children are growing>>>HeHis children will understand that a gun didnt kill their daddy  an incompetent doctor did....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#14]
my step-dads uncle shot himself with his 1911 while laying next to his wife in bed. grabbed it out of the nightstand and did it.

had two high school friends fathers kill themselves. one was a outright gun to the head in the attic and the other was a blue suicide where he held up a bb gun so the cops would lay into him.

another high school friend just murdered both parents and a next door neighbor and just last week bashed his head in while in prison.

old roommates best friend killed another guy at a party for messing with someones sister apparently. hes getting out soon.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
A friend from school shot himself a few years ago, he was one of those guys who would go after something he wanted full bore and never get it. He was a fun guy who set his goals high and HAD a never quit attitude. He had a party one night, went around and talked to everyone, laughed and joked with his wife and friends then just dissappeared. His wife found him at about 2am slumped over in the cab of his truck after he put a 12 guage round though his head.
About that same time a coworker, who was a hell of a nice guy but a very misguided hippy offed himself.  His girlfriend broke up with him and days later wanted him to unlock his storage unit so she could get her stuff. He borrowed (think hippy) a shotgun from his friend, met her at the storage, unlocked it, went back to his truck to get the gun and pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#16]
My best friend shot himself with his bosses S&W Mod 629 .44 He used a very hot load we made t feed the Desert Eagle rental at our range. Thankfully I did not see it.

Guns are a non issue with the family and friends, then again the subject doesnt really come up. Typical American attitude, dont care if we have em, dont care if we cant.

Suicide is perhaps the most selfish thing a person can do IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't like ropes because I knew a guy who hung himself.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#18]
My uncle blew his brains out last Friday night.

It's not going over well with my Dad.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#20]
A childhood friend of mine got sent home from school. A buddy got the boot, too. They were 13 years old.

They went to my friend's house to chill. His dad (single parent) was at work. My friend suggested a game of Russian Roulette and got out one of his dad's handguns from the gun safe.

He shot himself and died instantly. I still remember seeing him (it wasn't open casket--but close friends and family saw him). His whole head had caved in. He was a beautiful boy--stunning looks. It was very sad to see what had happened to him.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yes.....
My brother  its hard to talk about....  Great father, wife and 2 kids 31 years old....
Was having slight depression so went to doctor... Doctor put him on 5 meds and he wasnt there 15 minutes??? Things at his home started to go badly almost immediately.. My father was over there talking to him twice a week.. Even called the doctors office and told them something wasnt right!!!!
He took my grandfathers walther ppk that he brought back from ww2 and shot himself....
GOD KNOWS I miss him and wish he could see how his children are growing>>>
He died in 2003 in October and the doctors office is still sending his wife a bill(last time we talked) for him not showing up at the doctors appointment  in NOVEMBER....
His children will understand that a gun didnt kill their daddy  an incompetent doctor did....

Dude, please, your story is so full of shit, there are always two sides to the story.  No meds make you kill yourself. You have to be fucked up to begin with.  Why dont you blame his family for not helping him by taking him to the hospital if they were so concerned.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Not a gun but, Knew a guy who hung himself from the clothesline, Just wrapped the line around his neck and sat down Funny thing is, the line was like 4 feet off the ground and he was 6'3" all he had to do is stand up and he'd been fine,.. Guess he wanted it pretty bad..........Udog
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Friend at work 1997/valentines day.

22lr in the basement while the wife was upstairs. No one saw it coming.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#24]
had an ex who came home from school in the 8 th grade looked al over the house for her dad ,went in the attic and found him hanging after accidently killing himself during auto-erotic asphxysiation. (sp)
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Not a gun but, Knew a guy who hung himself from the clothesline, Just wrapped the line around his neck and sat down Funny thing is, the line was like 4 feet off the ground and he was 6'3" all he had to do is stand up and he'd been fine,.. Guess he wanted it pretty bad..........Udog

Actually most people that hang themselves are sitting or lying down.  Not the typical swinging feet of hollywood.  It takes a lot of effort to hoist yourself up and set up a rig to do that .  Its much easier to get a rope tie it around your neck and a door knob.  You just dont get up when you notice you are about to pass out and its done.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#27]
My sisters boyfriend shot himself.  Supposedly playing Russian Roulette... but it was never really an 'open and shut' case I guess.  Made his mom crazy, and she ended up going on Oprah because she wanted to save his sperm so she could have a grandchild.  Jeremy Reno was his name.

The guy in the truck next to me in the mornings just came back from a long weekend because his brother shot himself.  Since he has been back he has been very irritable (with good reason), and he will ramble on about random things that don't need much explanation.

Knew a kid in high school who got drunk and high at a party.  Apparently the cops came to break up the party, and he was afraid of getting caught by the police or his parents, so he ran home and killed himself.  His mother found him.

Knew some more people throughout high school that killed themselves... but those are the only gunshot ones I know about.

I can't imagine finding someone I love dead from a self inflicted gunshot wound.  Especially my kid (if I had one).  Would be absolutely heartbreaking.  But the whole "i don't like guns because my brother/father/friend shot himself" still doesn't make much sense to me.  A gun is only dangerous if the user wants it to be.

Unless it's a Glock.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I know a guy who killed himself with the car in a garage with the exhaust. I still drive.

Yes but youre not cherry red either.  One of the bad effects and telltale signs of CO poisoning is a red hue of the body.   So if you find a dead dude who is normal colored but is supposed to have died in a suicide car, he was dead before the car was started.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Had two uncles kill themsleves.
1. He was out rabbit hunting, crossed a fence with .22 leaning on it, bang...
2. Was getting out of his pickup to hunt rabbit and pulled the rifle(.22) across the
seat by the muzzle,bang...

Not suicide but stupidcide.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Just hangings

GM
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know a guy who killed himself with the car in a garage with the exhaust. I still drive.

Yes but youre not cherry red either.  One of the bad effects and telltale signs of CO poisoning is a red hue of the body.   So if you find a dead dude who is normal colored but is supposed to have died in a suicide car, he was dead before the car was started.

Funny you should say that,
Wasnt going to tell this one because it was techinicaly an accident but.
My dad and I restored an old car together, a 65 dodge Coronet 500 383/4 speed car... anyway dad was storeing it at his best friends home,Donnie while dad was renovating his garage, His buddy,Donnie would start it up from time to time to keep the battery up and such,.. Anyway one night Donnie started the car up without pulling it outside, He had the garage door open but the Coronet was inside. He went inside to watch TV and Died from CO poisioning. His teenage son found him and called us. Donnie was that Color.  
We sold the Coronet because dad couldnt have it around..................Udog
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#32]
My ex worked with a lady whose son killed himself with a crossbow. Yes, a crossbow. He rigged it up in the basement, and shot himself in the head.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Uncle, friend, co-worker, all committed suicide with a gun.  If guns didn't exist, those three would have found another method to accomplish the task.

It is only irrational or illogical people who assign human traits to inanimate objects.  A firearm is a tool, nothing more, nothing less.  It can not be evil or good, only the person wielding the tool can be assigned those descriptors.

Cavu
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes.....
He died in 2003 in October and the doctors office is still sending his wife a bill(last time we talked) for him not showing up at the doctors appointment  in NOVEMBER....
His children will understand that a gun didnt kill their daddy  an incompetent doctor did....

Dude, please, your story is so full of shit, there are always two sides to the story.  No meds make you kill yourself. You have to be fucked up to begin with.  Why dont you blame his family for not helping him by taking him to the hospital if they were so concerned.

I think you need to back the fuck up and check yourself before you talk about someones dead brother that way.

You owe an apology.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#35]
My friend's brother hung himself.  Really sad.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I guess I'm the odd man out here becuase I've never known anyone who has committed suicide, much less used a firearm in the act.
Knock on wood...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#37]
I knew 3 people that killed themselves. Two of the 3  with firearms.

Randy Moya. Was in Basic Traning with him.  Moya shot himself in the head twice with a .22LR Rifle the morning before having to return to finish Basic after Christmas Leave.

Brian Cavanaugh(BrianCav here on arfcom) Was out at a Club with a friend, went home and shot himself in the head with his AK. To my knowlage he didnt leave a note and noone is quite sure of what the hell happned. A bunch of the S FL crew were together about a week befere he did it, and he seemed fine. None of us saw it comming.

James. Worked with my wife for a number of years. Nice guy but started hanging out with the wrong people  and really messed his life up. He hung himself with the elastic out of his underwear in the Broward County Jail.

Humans are a inventive lot. If someone wants to do it, they will find a way.

echo6
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#38]
No. I grew up with guns.  They were always loaded and in plain sight.  I was never afraid of one or worried about one.  In fact except when we sighted them in for hunting or grabbed one to shoot a yote I never gave them much mind at all growing up.

I grew up in a time when all the boys had rifles in racks of their pickups at school.  My school shut down during Elk hunting season due necessity [i.e. lack of students].

Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#39]
My dad took his own life about a week before 9/11.  His viewing was on the night of 9/11.  It was a very emotional time.  He was recovering from a severe stroke he had about a year earlier while on vacation for his first time in Hawaii.   My dad had gotten  pretty athletic in his retirement, doing a lot of walking/running and doing the last couple LA marathons along with a couple of my siblings.  My mom has suffered from the effects of a stroke she had about 10 years ago.  I think my dad was very depressed about going from a healthy runner to a guy who could barely walk at all.  Worse thing is he used my sister's off duty weapon to off himself, so my sister still feels a tremendous amount of guilt for having left her purse where he could get to it.  

I still enjoy firearms and fortunately my sister still calls every now and then to go to the range to practice.  I don't believe anyone in the family thinks the gun is at fault.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:46:32 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes.....

I think you need to back the fuck up and check yourself before you talk about someones dead brother that way.

You owe an apology.

No, I dont. If anything you should fuck the back up.

ETA: Dumbasses like you believe that shit, hook line and sinker.  So the family is concerned but not enough to take him to the hospital or call the authoritites. There is only one doctor in town?   Come on, this story has all the makings for a unwarranted lawsuit.  I bet this person has had a long history of psych and emotional problems and or substance abuse problems.  Not to mention most psych drugs take 2-4 weeks before having any significant effect.   It usually takes months before the full effects are realized.  

Its sad but this person would have done it anyway.  The underlying problem that tortured this person would have still and always been there.  There was no disrespect directed towards this person but this story is full of holes.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:50:24 AM EDT
[#41]
I worked a security job in a hospital that houses the County Morgue.  It's amazing how many people off themselves with guns in yuppie suburbia.  Also saw my share of folks that hung themselves.  I bet that's #2.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:56:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Ardoc, your a stupid ass sonofabitch and out of all the rude shit I've seen people say on here, that took the cake,  Several prescription drugs have been directly linked to increased suicide rates.  Thats some dirty shit for you to have pulled.  No wonder people have such a bad image of gun owners.  With people like you representing us....
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:59:42 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Ardoc, your a stupid ass sonofabitch and out of all the rude shit I've seen people say on here, that took the cake,  Several prescription drugs have been directly linked to increased suicide rates.  Thats some dirty shit for you to have pulled.  No wonder people have such a bad image of gun owners.  With people like you representing us....

You have no idea WTF you are talking about.  Why dont people take some responsibility for their own actions and not blame others.  I too have lost a relative to a suicide as well as my GF.  So why dont you go fuck you self and the crappy horse you rode in on. The only stupid ass you. No smiley needed here.

Give me examples of prescription drugs that will make you kill yourself after one or two weeks of use.  I bet you cant dumbass.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:00:45 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes.....

You owe an apology.

+1
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#45]
A close friend of mine didn't intend to kill himself, but was looking for attention.  He got drunk and shot himself in the chest with a 22 pistol.  His g/f broke up with him and he thought if he got hurt, she would come back.  He bled to death before she got home.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:04:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes.....

just a matter of time before someone shits on a person in this thread..... no class..
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:06:12 AM EDT
[#47]
No suicides in my household, or relatives. If they're soooo concerned about stopping suicides, good luck. Remove knives, hammers,  all pointy objects from the home. Don't forget to put behavior inhibitors into people so they won't jump off bridges, walk in front of a bus/truck/car. Or simply smother themselves with exhaust/oven fumes.

I guess if someone close to them killed themselves with any of the zillion household items, they'd want to ban them too? Pills, booze, pointy objects, cars, etc? Not trying to be a dick, but make a point.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:09:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Yes. My mother's brother jumped in the bathtub with a shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:12:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Ah, so the need for you being a class A dick is because you have a burr up your ass due to personal experience and were probably blamed in one or more circumstances, or feel guilty, and your way of coping is by becoming over zealous in need to accept responsibility.  My wife is a therapist and makes VERY good money to deal with fucked up people like you on a daily basis.  People like you paid for my smith and wesson.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:14:28 AM EDT
[#50]
A committed person will find a way to kill themselves - the gun was just a tool.   If unavailable, they would find another tool.

Perhaps those around them need to be more sensitive to the signs.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top