Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 1:39:22 PM EDT
I started up in safe mode with networking and attempted to log in as the administrator and the computer stayed there saying it was loading my settings.

This went on for several minutes.

I had to hard boot to make it stop.

This is the first time it has done this.

I can log in as the other user though, from there.

I'm running XP Pro and no password to anything.

Any thoughts?

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a corrupt driver, or maybe a bad hard drive. If it won't start in "Safe Mode" it's not good ... not good at all.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sounds like a corrupt driver, or maybe a bad hard drive. If it won't start in "Safe Mode" it's not good ... not good at all.

It will boot into safe mode OK, the problem then is logging in as the "Administrator".

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Try logging in as admin and  just let it set overnight or however long it takes and see what happens.

I bet it is doing something.  GIve it time, a computer is sometimes like a flower and it needs time to bloom.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It will boot into safe mode OK, the problem then is logging in as the "Administrator".

Can you log in a a new user and start a new profile, say, "ADMIN1" or something? The "Administrator" profile is certainly trying to load something the OS doesn't like. If you can load a new profile, at least you'll have some degree of stability in the drivers.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#5]
enable verbose startup/shutdown status messages mode for windows xp.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_v.htm

scroll down to the "Verbose" section and do the registry tweak.

reboot into safe mode and try to log on as Administrator again.  you should be able to see what the computer is hanging on.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didya change your Admin password?? I know it's silly to ask...but sometimes the silly is the answer...and BTW...where the heck have you been lately???
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didya change your Admin password?? I know it's silly to ask...but sometimes the silly is the answer...and BTW...where the heck have you been lately???

No password on this computer.

Classes started up again.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
enable verbose startup/shutdown status messages mode for windows xp.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_v.htm

scroll down to the "Verbose" section and do the registry tweak.

reboot into safe mode and try to log on as Administrator again.  you should be able to see what the computer is hanging on.

Tried it and no joy.

Thx for the link, there is lots of good info there.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#9]
are you running service pack 2?  Alot of computers i've noticed running SP2 have been doing this.  Seems an automatic update has been the problem.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
are you running service pack 2?  Alot of computers i've noticed running SP2 have been doing this.  Seems an automatic update has been the problem.  

Yes SP2.

Should I go and re-install SP2 or?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#11]
what antivirus are you running?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
what antivirus are you running?

System Mechanic 5 and Windows firewall.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#13]
boot into safe mode try and uninstall your antivirus.  I had had two computer do the same thing yours is, i unistalled the antivirus and the system would boot.  sometimes you have to run manual uninstall utilites to get it to uninstall

other things it could be.
bad sectors on hd..... find out what named brand of HD you have go to their web site, they usually have a diganostic util that will test it.

damaged profile:  you can get your info usually by taking the HD out and installing it in a differnt computer and copying it over.  if your account is passworded, you will have to use a program like knoppix to retrieve it.   that will require quite a bit of networking knowledge

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
boot into safe mode try and uninstall your antivirus.  I had had two computer do the same thing yours is, i unistalled the antivirus and the system would boot.  sometimes you have to run manual uninstall utilites to get it to uninstall

other things it could be.
bad sectors on hd..... find out what named brand of HD you have go to their web site, they usually have a diganostic util that will test it.

damaged profile:  you can get your info usually by taking the HD out and installing it in a differnt computer and copying it over.  if your account is passworded, you will have to use a program like knoppix to retrieve it.   that will require quite a bit of networking knowledge

Hey, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
GIve it time, a computer is sometimes like a flower and it needs time to bloom.

If SteyrAUG doesn't roll in here and call you a sorry ass hippie, I'll be surprised.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top