Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#3]
AT-4's Rock!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#4]
i was one of the lucky ones that got to fire one in basic
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I've always enjoyed my father's wry sense of humor.

When we were watching the Rambo movie where he shoots an RPG out of the front of a helicopter, my old man says with a droll tone:

"The backblast on that thing is 14 feet.  Congratulations, Rambo:  You just killed everyone in your chopper"

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#6]
'Scuse me. Tacos last night.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Gotta love the cold-launch of the Javelin, you can fire it in a very tiny room out the window, a gas charge shoots the missile out of the launcher and then the main rocket ignites. No back blast area to clear, nor any worry about frying yourself by firing from a concealed/small position.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#8]
READY ON THE RIGHT?

READY ON THE LEFT?

READY IN THE REAR?

Wow.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I want one.   ok.. a hundred
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Gotta love the cold-launch of the Javelin, you can fire it in a very tiny room out the window, a gas charge shoots the missile out of the launcher and then the main rocket ignites. No back blast area to clear, nor any worry about frying yourself by firing from a concealed/small position.

Kharn

Uh, forgive my Surface Warfare Officer ignorance, but isn't having a rocket light off in front of your face equally dangerous?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]
let's roast some marsh-a-mellas, hope you weren't standing there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#12]
'preciate the new desktop!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Eh, put a Vortex/Phantom on it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Uh, forgive my Surface Warfare Officer ignorance, but isn't having a rocket light off in front of your face equally dangerous?

Not how the Javelin has it rigged (Lockheed calls it a 'soft launch', 'cold launch' is an ICBM term, my mistake), I think the gas charge kicks the rocket out about 5-10 meters so the operator is safe.  Here's a video of a Javelin launch: Right click and save as
Or click here: source page

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Ah!

Them dang weapon designers is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO clever!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Eh, put a Vortex/Phantom on it.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

When we were watching the Rambo movie where he shoots an RPG out of the front of a helicopter, my old man says with a droll tone:

"The backblast on that thing is 14 feet.  Congratulations, Rambo:  You just killed everyone in your chopper"

Wow. I always thought it was just me that said that every time they played that movie.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#18]
The AT-4CS doesn't have a backblast (CS = Confined Space) but the US hasn't bought any of those.

There's some video floating around somewhere of an Iraqi unit in the trenches during the Iran/Iraq war. A guy with an RPG doesn't bother checking his shoulder to see that there's a guy with an AK right behind him. Fires, and blows the AK chap right off the screen.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
i was one of the lucky ones that got to fire one in basic

+1.  I had Company high BRM and got to fire it.  

ETA:  DAYUM!  Sucks to be you if you are in a vehicle hit by one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You mean backblast

Yup, now this is what I call a Backfire.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You mean backblast

Yup, now this is what I call a Backfire.
www.globalaircraft.org/photos/planephotos/tu-22m_3.jpg

cargolade.free.fr/tupolevtu22mhgdef.jpg

Nyuck nyuck nyuck
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow. I always thought it was just me that said that every time they played that movie.

It was a LAW, not an RPG, but I thought the same thing, too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

There's some video floating around somewhere of an Iraqi unit in the trenches during the Iran/Iraq war. A guy with an RPG doesn't bother checking his shoulder to see that there's a guy with an AK right behind him. Fires, and blows the AK chap right off the screen.

NTM

Oh, DUDE! You have GOT to find that!

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NTM

Oh, DUDE! You have GOT to find that!

I've seen it.  Very poor quality black and white video.  Thankfully the camera operator has a steady hand.  There's a friendly to the rear and he just gets disappeared.

"Where'd he go?"

[hollywood] "Where'd who go?!"  [/hollywood]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Reminds me of that guy in True lies who got knocked out the windshield of that truck.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Reminds me of that guy in True lies who got knocked out the windshield of that truck.  

Didn't he actually fire the RPG backwards though?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  The rocket went up toward one of the planes, but the pilot dodged it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  The rocket went up toward one of the planes, but the pilot dodged it.

Huh.  Been to long since I've seen the movie.  Kindof sad since it's just about the only movie that approaches terrorism relatively realitically.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top