Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2005 10:56:50 AM EDT
I recently started using Wilson oil on all my guns. When I finish cleaning them, I'll run an oily patch of the Wilson oil through the bore and store it. Before I shoot the next time, I'll run a single clean patch through the bore to wipe the oil out.

When I get to the range and start shooting, I'll notice my first 20 or so rounds are way off target. I'm talking maybe 3 or 4 inches off at 10 yards. Then after about 20 rounds, they'll start hitting on target. I've never had this problem with CLP.

Have any of you guys noticed this with any certain oils?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#1]
An oily bore will give you a flyer or two,  but not 20 and certainly not 3" to 4" at 10 yards. There is another problem somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i would think the oil would burn out by the 4th round or so. perhaps your rifle shoots better with a bit of fouling.

Mine always settle some with 5 or so rounds.  After 20 or 30 they open up again.  Nothing horrible but nothing under 1" after 30 or so rounds it seems.  It could also be a little mental / finger fatigue though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Remoil in the bore is noted as a cause of flyers.  I was told it contains teflon & that is resistant to flame.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i would think the oil would burn out by the 4th round or so. perhaps your rifle shoots better with a bit of fouling.

These are handguns I'm talking about. Sorry for the confusion.

The Wilson oil is supposed to have extremely high-temp burn off. The reason I started using the Wilson oil is because my Wilson pistol came with a video of Bill Wilson testing different oils on some kind of friction testing machine. The test machine allows you to put a certain weight on the machine and exert that exact amount of weight on a test piece of metal, as the machine rotates it at high RPM. In the video, Mr. Wilson test several kinds of oils. I really can't remember all the brands. CLP was one of them and maybe Rem-Oil was another. The end result of the test (and you see him do it in the video), is all the oils (except Wilson) burn off in just a few seconds and then the metal begins to wear away quickly from the friction. With the Wilson oil, it takes well over a minute for the oil to burn off.

If the Wilson oil can sustain heat that much better than other gun oils, it may take 20 rounds to burn it out of the bore.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top