Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2005 9:41:50 AM EDT
I have a fairly large area ( aprox 16,000sq ft )I'm going to need paved in the next few months and I'm trying to get a handle on how much it is going to cost. Can anyone give me "ballpark" type figures as to how much asphalt paving costs per sq ft?

I understand prices vary widley by area, I'm just trying to get a handle on how much this is going to impact my ammo budget

echo6
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#1]
At 2 inches thickness that would be 196 tons. Highway construction hot mix comes in 45 dollars a ton so that is 8820 dollars. Prices are going up and driveway/parking lot work could come in higher. Some small road projects I have the mix has been bid as high as 80 dollars. Get estimates they will vary.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the area currently asphalted?

If not, does it need to be graded so as to drain properly?

Do you need stone or is there already some there?

What type of traffic with this area have on it? Passenger cars, trucks, etc.

Normally, you grade an area making sure it is compacted and well drained, add some stone (usually about 6") and then asphalt pave over that.

And yes, I am in the construction business. I am a site grading contractor.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Where I'm at, 1/2" runs for about 55-60 bucks per ton. There's about 1.5 tons per cubic yard, so assuming a depth of about 4"(most roads surfaces and parking lots are around 4"), you would be needing about 195.55 yards. 195.55 yards X 1.5 tons per= 293.25 tons X $55 per =  about  $16133 for asphalt. The trucks and equipment as well as the labor you will need to get it laid down, spread, and rolled before it gets cold will be the expensive part. You will also want to put some kind of base under it. Check with your local contractors and get some bids. I have no idea how much equipment and trucking and labor are out there. You may also have other options aside from asphalt. Again, check with your local guys who do this kind of work.

Your ammo budget may be hosed for a while.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#4]
BTW, your better asphalt companies will give you a quote on it and state *exactly* what is included and what is not. Make sure you get one in WRITING.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top