Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 8:10:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:20:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Well... Since it doesn't have a number on it, and it has AA guns and a search light, I would guess that it is some sort of home defense group's pin.

ETA: Plus, the motto, "to the best of your ability" makes me think its more for a Civilian Anti-Aircraft group. The motto doesn't really seem like something a military unit would use.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Anti Aircraft?

Search light?

Are you sure it is US Army?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Did not find it in "U. S. Army Heraldic Crests", 1993 edition. Poss. not Army?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#4]
army air force possibly? maybe a black unit?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Anti Aircraft?

Search light?

Are you sure it is US Army?

When I spent a minute or two searching for it to see if I could find it easily I saw that the motto is used for a Winston Churchill Secondary school, which made me look around for British stuff. Still couldn't find much.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I would guess it is a army AAA unit DI. There are over 7000 DI's ever designed, so no book has them all, some are very obscure. I have luck Googling the exact phrase (in quotes) and adding words such as insignia, army, etc....I also have a ton of various web sites I use for research, but it is slow going....

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe old school National Guard? A USMC world war II Defense BN?

Just to be 'that guy', in the US Army they call it ADA, Air Defense Artillery, not AAA.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Just to be 'that guy', in the US Army they call it ADA, Air Defense Artillery, not AAA.

Not in WWII, then it was AAA....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in WWII, then it was AAA....

And, IIRC, it was a branch of the Field Artillery.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
ADA wasn't a branch till the late 50s (maybe early 60s)
It would be Field Artillery or Coastal Artillery.
Probably coastal

Thats my guess as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ADA wasn't a branch till the late 50s (maybe early 60s)
It would be Field Artillery or Coastal Artillery.
Probably coastal

Thats my guess as well.

I suspect it was a coast artillery unit as well. My Dad was the CA guru.

Suggestion- Coast Defense Study Group If it can be answered, they can answer it. They have a yahoo group, too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I suspect it was a coast artillery unit as well. My Dad was the CA guru.

My Dad was in a coast artillery unit near Monterey  just prior to the U.S. entering WWII. Somewhere I have a box of some of his old stuff from those days. Most of his friends from the unit volunteered to go to the Philippines before Pearl harbor and later died there, many on the Bataan death march.. It pretty much wiped out his high school class. He was one of the few that thought Alaska would be more interesting than a tropical island. I think there were only 3 of them that went North.

Anyway, been following this thread since this morning and found it interesting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top