Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 5:50:07 AM EDT
I need a new backpack for my laptop and tech junk.  So far, I've just made do with a daypack, but I was wondering if anyone had a better recommendation.

Thanks,

Michael
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:54:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I borrowed one from a buddy to go on a trip.
It worked pretty good going gate to gate in airports, I will ask him what kind it was and get back to you.

His is a vaio backpack.

I would get something different, I imagine that was expensive.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:01:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'd appreciate it!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:10:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Swiss Army is nice...

EDIT:

Just remembered I stopped using the Swiss Army and replaced it with a Blackhawk Attache & Laptop sleeve. The SA looks way too much like an expensive laptop bag so people tend to target it for theft.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:12:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Targus makes some nice stuff and lifetime warranty.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#5]
swiss army or North Face

I have a northface and love it.. Looks nice and I use it for alot more than just my laptop bag.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Targus makes some nice stuff and lifetime warranty.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

+1
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:17:03 AM EDT
[#7]
High Sierra makes a real nice one that actually my company bought as an issue pack to carry around our company laptops. its a back pack just like you see the kidas wear but its ultra comfortable, takes a beating and is great for airports.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I like my Gregory Beta.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I have an EMS HardDrive.  It rules.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I had an IBM T-40 for a short time, and I bought a backpack from www.spireusa.com. I sold them both when I realized I never took it off my desk. (I suddenly changed from being a Computer Science major, to architectural engineering, to another major and then another, but I've settled now)

It was a good backpack though, I liked it.

Edit: I bought whatever the cheapest and smallest one was. It was all I needed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I think mine is an LL Bean.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I had an IBM T-40 for a short time, and I bought a backpack from www.spireusa.com. I sold them both when I realized I never took it off my desk. (I suddenly changed from being a Computer Science major, to architectural engineering, to another major and then another, but I've settled now)

I have a Spire Zoom and it works perfectly. I has a strap that goes around your waist to keep the back from bouncing around too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I just looked at the spire site and it looks like the Zoom has changed a lot. Mine is small like the Zoom but it looks more like the Volt XL with all the straps. Not sure if the Zoom still has all the straps or not. Just fyi.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Samsonite...go with the best.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I got mine from Dell for ~$30

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#16]
don't know if they make 'em anymore, but I've got a Jansport one with a dedicated laptop pocket. worked really well, and since it's a Jansport, it blended in with the other backpacks on campus. A

Targus case screams "Laptop! Steal me!"
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Got mine from dell for about $70.  Its great, I travel with just the backpack with notebook and essentials, and a carry-on with clothing.

One thing I don't like is that all of the zipper pulls have the dell logo on them, and they are made in such a way I can't replace them.  It's like having a dozen little steal me signs on the bag.

I'd recommend going with a non-techno brand since thieves won't assume there is a notebook in the backpack.

Although when I travel my notebook and backpack usually stay cable locked to a table in my hotel room anyway.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#18]
www.hiltonstentcity.com/library/filson-258.htm

Go with the insanely expensive filson laptop case.  Made with mamoth hide or whatever to justify the $219 price tag.  A must buy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Been happy with this from Brookstone:

NEW Business Ballistic Backpack
Brookstone sku # 466359

Business essentials fit comfortably on your back. Made of rugged 1682 denier, our Business Ballistic Backpack features an XpressCheck™ pocket that holds security-sensitive items, a padded laptop pocket, easy-access business organizer, fan file, and more. Padded, non-slip shoulder straps and handle for extra comfort. Hanging pocket for MP3/CD player and rubber grommet for headphone cord. Side water bottle pocket. Padded computer pocket holds most computers with screens up to 16". 1682 denier ballistic nylon is highly resistant to tears and abrasions.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:04:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got mine from dell for about $70.  Its great, I travel with just the backpack with notebook and essentials, and a carry-on with clothing.

One thing I don't like is that all of the zipper pulls have the dell logo on them, and they are made in such a way I can't replace them.  It's like having a dozen little steal me signs on the bag.

I'd recommend going with a non-techno brand since thieves won't assume there is a notebook in the backpack.

Although when I travel my notebook and backpack usually stay cable locked to a table in my hotel room anyway.

Yup.  The backpack is nice, but there's little Dell logo's all over the zippers, if I had known that, I may have gone with something that didn't scream "Laptop inside!"
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:07:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I have to lug my laptop all over the country.  I have a padded sleeve I took from anotehr bag, and, I put my CPU in that, then, In a 3 Spec-Ops THE Pack.  Holds my printer, CPU and all the toys for both, plus files, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#23]
My company just issued me a laptop in a Targus backpack. Its pretty nice and has room for my external hard drive packed with mp3s and Bose computer speakers along with the printer cables and all that other work related bs
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a Spire Zoom and it works perfectly. I has a strap that goes around your waist to keep the back from bouncing around too.

Question for taking your laptop with you on the bike...tank bag, backpack, saddlebag, strap it on the front of the fairing...what's your favorite spot for it?  Or do you just say "no" to laptops on your dos equis.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I carry a Targus. Other than the fact that it has a cell phone holder on the strap (which I may remove), it doesn't scream "Laptop bag". This old guy in Canton asked me "You going campin' son?". Yup. I always go camping in slacks and a dress shirt.

I think it's great that backpacks are now the norm for carrying laptops, papers, etc. I've been doing it for a few years, and I used to get a few comments on how it's "unprofessional". Not anymore. I carry mine in a suit. Conventional laptop bags? Pfft. They're extremely uncomfortable, and if you ask me, you look more squared away with a nice looking backpack over your shoulder. It used to be that I only saw young tech professionals like myself carrying them. Now, I'm seeing regular guys in their mid forties using them. Progress is good.

I declare the breifcase dead.

Know the other neat part? It's a great place to carry quite the assortment of fine defensive weapons, or at least tons of spare ammo and mags. Making them accessible is also quite easy - certainly easier than reaching under my tucked-in shirt while at work (though one should always keep one on their person). All it takes is a little creativity and good judgement when buying your backpack.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#26]
That's one of the main reasons I carry my laptop in a backpack.

Michael
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top