Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 5:06:00 AM EDT
I thought I read something about this.  I have a C&R license, and need to send it to someone.  

I don't pay very close attention to the pile of stuff the ATF sends me, since I'm not a dealer, but I have a vague recollection of either reading something, or hearing something from somewhere about the fact that you can now fax your FFL to people.  So...is that true?

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:13:41 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I thought I read something about this.  I have a C&R license, and need to send it to someone.  

I don't pay very close attention to the pile of stuff the ATF sends me, since I'm not a dealer, but I have a vague recollection of either reading something, or hearing something from somewhere about the fact that you can now fax your FFL to people.  So...is that true?

I also have a C&R FFL and I just looked and what you mentioned is on the first page of the August '05 FFL Newsletter.

It states:

"This section of the regulations requires a licensee to verify another licensee's status prior to making sales or deliveries to such licensee.  Please be advised that ATF will now recognize a faxed copy of a Federal firearms license as an acceptable alternative form of verification."
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:57:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Short answer is yes
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:01:29 AM EDT
[#3]
"CERTIFIED FAXED COPIES OF LICENSES
Section 27 CFR 478.94 requires the following for sales
or deliveries of firearms between licensees:
“A licensed importer,licensed manufacturer,or licensed
dealer selling or otherwise disposing of firearms,and
a licensed collector selling or otherwise disposing of
curios or relics,to another licensee shall verify the
identity and licensed status of the transferee prior to
making the transaction.Veri fication shall be established
by the transferee furnishing to the transferor a certi fied
copy of the transferee ’s license and by such other means
as the transferor deems necessary:...”
This section of the regulations requires a licensee to
verify another licensee ’s status prior to making sales or
deliveries to such licensee.Please be advised that ATF
will now recognize a faxed copy of a Federal firearms
license as an acceptable alternative form of veri fication.
ATF strongly suggests that FFLs utilize the FFLeZ
Check system and verify the authenticity of the
transferee ’s license prior to shipping or disposing of a
firearm(s)to another licensee.
In addition,veri fication and certi fication of a license
is not considered valid unless a legible copy of
the transferee ’s license clearly identi fies the name,
address,license number and expiration date of the
license.Acceptance of blurred or illegible copies of a
transferee ’s license may constitute noncompliance with
regulations.

Finally,since all fax machines and settings differ,FFLs
may need to fax with a fax resolution setting of fine,
super fine,or photo to ensure the fax copy of the
license is legible.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#4]
We have talked abotu this in the shop and decided that any faxed FFL would be followed up with a quick run thru the FFLEZ check to verify info. Without the signature you could be sending/recieveing a gun from anyone with photoshop.
CH
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, it's moot now...the company in question still requires a hard copy...I called them.  I sorta figured that was gonna be the case, for some reason.  

It's all because I'm a cheap bastard looking for a discount.  

It's DPMS, btw...the make a 4 railed handguard for their .308 rifes, and a couple bucks off the $195 price tag will make me happy.  I'm all about the savings.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We have talked abotu this in the shop and decided that any faxed FFL would be followed up with a quick run thru the FFLEZ check to verify info. Without the signature you could be sending/recieveing a gun from anyone with photoshop.
CH

And you can't print out a photoshopped document?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CH

And you can't print out a photoshopped document?

Sure and anyone can make them...thats the point of the ezcheck. You get a FAX from (insert shop name). You dont check that its real. a few weeks later you realize you just sent a gun to an abandoned wharehouse in NJ.

Not sure what you think your getting at, but hope that explaination helps.
CH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top