Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2005 4:49:57 AM EDT
I am looking for a high end DVD player that will not get taken over by the dvd.  IOW, I want to be able to skip forward regardless of what the damn dvd wants to do.  This annoys me to no end.

Anyone know of a DVD player that will do this?  Needs to have a fiber out jack to send info to rcvr, thanks.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#1]
The high-end Mitsubishi is pretty sweet -fiber audio -component video- plays dvd -cd-mp3-and jpeg's.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:55:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am looking for a high end DVD player that will not get taken over by the dvd.  IOW, I want to be able to skip forward regardless of what the damn dvd wants to do.  This annoys me to no end.

Anyone know of a DVD player that will do this?  Needs to have a fiber out jack to send info to rcvr, thanks.

TXL

I'd be interested in knowing if there is DVD player that fits your bill.  I am sick of how you cannot skip through some of the promo material (especially in kiddie DVDs) and copyright disclaimers.  

If you go to a movie in the theater ... you are forced to endure advertisements.  If I wanted to be forced to sit through ads to watch a movie, I might as well go to the movies.  

Currently, I have a Sony 200-disc DVD player.  It is out of production but it was Sony's first mega-disc DVD changer.  I have found that it is possible (on some DVDs) to skip the chaff by doing the following, in this order (they are not foolproof, but there are very few DVDs that I cannot skip through):

1.  Press "menu" (takes you straight to menu)

2.  Press "title" (same idea ... this button takes you to the root menu)

3.  Press skip (forward).  On Fox DVDs this skips through the stupid Interpol notices, etc.

4.  Fast forward through the material.  Sometimes if you cannot skip it, you can make it go by quickly.  The Sony jog dial control is nice for this ... it goes fast forward at up to 32x.

5.  For the "still" promo material or copyright notices, the player is put on PAUSE while you have to endure watching the screen.  If you hit PAUSE or PLAY, sometimes this gets the movie to skip forward.

6.  Skip to the next or a different chapter/scene.  Not all DVD players can do this.  You hit Menu (which brings up an on-screen menu) and go to title/chapter/scene.  You can manually enter which chapter/scene you want to see, by using the numbers on the remote.  This allows you to skip to a segment in the movie and forego all the marketing chaff.  If you see blanks (instead of numbers) where the chapter/scenes should be, they have disabled the feature.

7.  Out of luck.  Sit and simmer, thinking angry thoughts about what I'd do left alone in a room with these movie execs and a rubber hose.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:57:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I do that as often as I can, but it seems lately, the new dvd's completely control the bull shit.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You don't want a "high end" DVD player - you want a hacked one.

What you're talking about is a PUO, or Prohibited User Operation.  (Sometimes called a UOP.)  The software built into every DVD player recognizes PUOs so you can't skip past the opening previews, etc., and is there by license agreement and law (DMCA), the same with Region Coding and Macrovision.  I updated the firwmare in my crappy little Apex 1500 DVD player to ignore RC, Macro, and PUOs.

Another way to do it is burn copies of your DVDs.  I use DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink and they both have settings to defeat PUOs.

So just buy a "code free" DVD player or get a DVD±RW burner and you're in business.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#5]
well, if hacking is the way i need to go, I will, but I would think someone might make one that doesn't need to be hacked
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top