Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2005 4:37:25 AM EDT
The old metal roof on my garage is in fairly rough shape, rusty and leaking in spots. I'm planning on replacing it and now I'm faced with some choices. I could go back with the galvanized stuff that's already on it, or the installer has mentioned something about an 'aluminized' metal roof? His take on it is that it does away with the rusting problem.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff and have any suggestions? Sure would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:53:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Steel metal roofing is typically Galvanized (steel witha zinc+aluminum coating) or Galvalume (steel with an aluminum + zinc coating). If you are anywhere near the coast I would go with pure aluminum but it is more expensive. Otherwise galvanized or galvalume will do allright, but there's always the risk of rust at penetrations and cut edges.

If you're buying a system that uses through-fasteners (exposed fasteners) then you aren't really buying a metal roof. You're buyng metal cladding that relies on little neoprene washers for watertightness. When those neoprene washers dry out and rot, it will leak. Go for a concealed-fastener system unless price is more important to you than lasting.

www.metalroofing.com

www.classicroof.com

I work for a metal roofing manufacturer and if you are interested in some "seconds" or obsolete color stuff, I could get you a great deal on aluminnum shakes or shingles. PM me if interested.

This is actually me in the video on this page. www.classicroof.com/aluminum_steel.html

Sorry for all the pimping but how often do I get a metal roofing thread on ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:58:00 AM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:07:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Joe:

I have requested some information on the click lock - looks great - I would like to roof my barn with it

is it difficult to work around penetrations like the cuppola, dormers etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top