Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2005 1:50:01 AM EDT
Is that true, does anyone have a link to confirm what has been said about the Brazilian shot by cops....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:55:22 AM EDT
[#1]
It's allllllll fucked up.  The cops took the tapes and returned them blank.  A very clumsy and obvious cover-up of a monumental fuck-up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:55:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Here ya go

Tube CCTV: Was there a cover-up?
by BEN TAYLOR, Daily Mail
23rd August 2005
www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=360051&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=&ct=5
Scotland Yard has been plunged into a damaging new 'cover-up' row over missing CCTV footage from the station where Jean Charles de Menezes was shot.
London Underground sources insisted that at least three of the four cameras trained on the Stockwell Tube platform were in full working order.

This appears to contradict police assertions that 'technical problems' meant no footage exists of the innocent Brazilian's final moments before he was killed by marksmen after being wrongly identified as a potential suicide bomber.

The sources also rejected suggestions that the cameras had not been fitted with new tapes after police took away footage from the previous day, July 21, when suspects in the failed bombings caught trains there.

The revelations increased calls for a full public inquiry and heaped further pressure on Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair who has faced repeated calls to resign.

The row erupted as senior Brazilian justice officials arrived in London to question the Independent Police Complaints Commission team investigating the shooting of electrician Mr de Menezes.

A senior rail industry source said yesterday: "There is absolutely nothing to suggest that the CCTV cameras were not working. If a tape is taken away to be studied, it is automatically replaced."

Another official said: "At least three of the four cameras were working. There were no reports of anything wrong with them."

Extracts from a police report, however, claimed that examination of the platform cameras had produced no footage. It said: "It has been established that there has been a technical problem with the CCTV equipment on the relevant platform and no footage exists."

It said there was no footage, either, from CCTV in the carriage where Mr de Menezes was shot eight times at point-blank range.

The report said: "Although there was on-board CCTV in the train, due to previous incidents, the hard drive had been removed and not replaced."

'Cameras in working order'

The platform CCTV system is maintained by Tube Lines - a private sector consortium in charge of maintaining the Northern Line.

Sources at the company insist that the cameras were in working order but a spokesman said last night that it could not comment officially while the investigation into the shooting continued.

The Daily Mail revealed earlier this month that, while there was CCTV footage of Mr de Menezes entering the South London station, there appeared to be nothing capturing his final moments as he ran for the Northern Line train on which he was shot.

He had been trailed from his home in Tulse Hill, South London, after he emerged from a block of flats that had been linked to a July 21 suspect.

Former Cabinet minister Clare Short joined relatives of the dead man and members of the Metropolitan Police Authority yesterday to say that a public inquiry into the death was inevitable.

She said it had to establish who had been 'telling lies'. She told ITV: "We've been lied to. This should be bigger than just calling for Sir Ian Blair to go. We need to find out exactly what happened. Who was telling the lies?"

The dead man's cousin, Alessandro Pereira, repeated his demands for a public inquiry.

He said: "Every day we discover more and more lies. We have heard too many. We simply demand truth and justice."

'The shot my son'

Mr de Menezes's mother Maria said: "They took my son's life. I am suffering because of that. I want the policeman who did that punished. They ended not only my son's life, but mine as well."

The continued revelations have already forced Tony Blair and Home Secretary Charles Clarke to give Sir Ian a public vote of confidence. The Commissioner himself has urged people to focus on the wider terror inquiry - but has admitted that he did not know for at least 24 hours that his marksmen had killed an innocent man.

Sir Ian has also been criticised over the way Scotland Yard offered an initial £15,000 compensation payment to the dead man's family shortly after the shooting. Brazilians Wagner Goncalves of the Federal Prosecutor's Office and Marcio Pereira Pinto Garcia, of the Ministry of Justice, went to Scotland Yard straight from Heathrow and met Sir Ian and Deputy Assistant Commissioner John Yates.

In its account of the meeting, the Metropolitan Police said last night it had told members of Mr de Menezes's family in the UK two days after his death that many of the initial reports were wrong.

The force said they were told he did not run into the station, that he did not vault the barrier but used a ticket, and that he was not wearing a heavy jacket or carrying a bag. The police hope the statement shows they were upfront with the family at an early stage.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:56:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Heheheh. It's the government. They're here to help.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:57:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:37:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Bearing in mind, this is the daily mail which is full of shit at the best of times.

Me, I think it appears to have been an intelligence fuck up that will haunt the officers who actually carried out the shooting on that basis for a long time to come, poor bastards.

Given what they thought they knew I don't think they should be second guessed at all. I'd be taking a look at how he was mis-identified him as a threat in the first place.

/PHil
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#6]
The English aren't much for 'fessin' up.  

I got a chuckle over this one, when it was announced that the London Po Po couldn't be in charge of the investigation into this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard the radio last night that all 8 cameras were inop, which basically is bullshit. In the beginning I gave the brits the benefit of the doubt, now there is more of a lingering doubt. Dead men tell no lies if there is no proof that he vaulted the turnstiles of that he ran from the cops, if they can prove all 8 cameras were inop, then basically they are off the hook. Maybe they wiill invoke national security....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Remember, the eye in the sky is looking out for your safety....    unless it's the eye that is killing you!

What a smart move.  Nothing says good government like a sloppy cover-up!  Bravo!

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
He was an illegal immigrant with a forged residence stamp in his passport.

If he had gone back to Brazil when he was supposed to he would not have been shot… fuck him!

ANdy

I'd be willing to give the benefit of the doubt to them, but start erasing evidence and covering up and my opinion changes real quick.  Not that my opinion matters over there now does it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If he had gone back to Brazil when he was supposed to he would not have been shot… fuck him!

ANdy

Do you know why all the beauty salons in London are nervous?

G
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

Do you know why all the beauty salons in London are nervous?

G

The Police are 'doing' Brazilians for free!

ANdy

But their making a mess of them...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

ANdy

You know I gotta agree there, being he was not a british subject he did not rate the full protection under the law....
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#16]
The point isn't whether or not he was a Brit citizen. The point is someone was shot for nothing more than mistaken identity. How is it OK just because he was in the country illegally? Would it be OK if he were a citizen? Would it be OK if he were a Muslim citizen?

We were told he jumped the turnstile; now that is in doubt.
We were told he ran from police; now that is in doubt.
We were told he was wearing a heavy coat; now that is in doubt.

The one (or eight) piece of evidence that could clarify the situation was the videotape. Now that's missing. Of course, we're not talking about a single piece of evidence. We're talking about 8 tapes.

This reeks of cover up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The point isn't whether or not he was a Brit citizen. The point is someone was shot for nothing more than mistaken identity. How is it OK just because he was in the country illegally? Would it be OK if he were a citizen? Would it be OK if he were a Muslim citizen?

The one (or eight) piece of evidence that could clarify the situation was the videotape. Now that's missing. Of course, we're not talking about a single piece of evidence. We're talking about 8 tapes.

This reeks of cover up.

It is NOT ok, this in not the USA, it is GBR, being English law and national security in question, I am not  an expert on British law.....
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
This reeks of cover up.

It is NOT ok, this in not the USA, it is GBR, being English law and national security in question, I am not  an expert on British law.....
I understand your point. But isn't our Bill of Rights just an enumeration of our inalienable rights that God gave all of humanity?

I swear I remember reading that somewhere. Wrong is wrong. Moral relativism is BS.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This reeks of cover up.

The Brazilian Ambassador and the two Brazilian jusges looking into this here in Britain are satisfied there is no cover up.

ANdy

How much did that cost?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I was thinking it, but didn't want to say it.

Isn't Brazil the country that kills orphan kids?

ETA: LINK to what I was talking about in Brazil.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I was thinking it, but didn't want to say it.

Isn't Brazil the country that kills orphan kids?

no, it's the country that is cutting down the rain forest.

(that should shut the liberals up).
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:57:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top