User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2005 12:37:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:41:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:42:15 AM EDT
[#2]
My bet is with the side with the Exocets.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:51:36 AM EDT
[#3]
What armaments do those KINGSTON Class patrol boats carry?

EDIT. I see, 40mm BOFORS and .50 BMGs.

Link
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:06:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:15:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, but the Canadians can charter out the KINGSTONs to fishermen when they are not needed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:08:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The move follows a spat between Canada and Denmark, over an uninhabited rock called Hans Island in the eastern Arctic region.

A visit there by Canada's defence minister last month angered the Danes.

I thought everyone loved Canadians.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The move follows a spat between Canada and Denmark, over an uninhabited rock called Hans Island in the eastern Arctic region.

Celine Dion, Bryan Adams, Pamela Anderson....do I need to go on?

Mrs. Broflovski is RIGHT!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#9]
CRIPPLEFIGHT!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I have something productive to add:

Euroweenies

Thanks

- D
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#11]
sure is a nice spot of land there bickering over
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Those "warships" look like US Coast Guard cutters.

Do they have anything bigger in their "navy"?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

They say the Arctic is one of the last of the earth's relatively untouched pristine frontiers and that a rush to exploit it will have a devastating impact on marine mammals and the rest of the fragile eco-system there.

Figures.

Fuck 'em! Drill the damned place and help put the Arabs and the commies in Venezuela out of business!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#15]
BRING IT, eh !

This has been going on for months now!  Those damn Canucks can't keep their half-french hands off our damn property.  If we don't stop them now, soon they'll be groping our women!!

Problem is, those shify eyed, beer-swilling Canadiens KNOW that so much of our military might () is tied up in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Kosovo roight now!

As an aside, Denmark is trying to establish that Greenland (our territory) actually extends via continental shelf to the North Pole, which woudl establish Danish sovereingty over the North Pole.

Than we'll control Christmas, because Santa will belong to us.  Whatcha ya gonna do then, Cananda???  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes, Frigates and Destroyers.

Those coastal defense boats are equivalent to US Coast Guard cutters.

Methinks the Canadian and Denmark navy folks are going to run into each other, share some cold beers, announce that a "diplomatic incident" has occured, and dump the whole thing back in the laps of the politicians who dropped the ball in the first place....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Bush set it up, I'm sure of it
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I was thinking of a Arfcom road trip until looking over the rock in question.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#20]
ROADTRIP!

Actually, I read over the blog that they're going to settle the dispute over a 2 out of 3 foozball tourney.

FWIW, if I were Dr. Evil, I'd be all over that island.  I'd build a top secret base disguised as a glacier.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Being that they are both in NATO,if they went to war,who would we back,or would we just have to come to both their aid

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Shit......We (ARFCOM) could kick their asses.

I say be put our flag up and tell them fuckers to go to hell.

Ok j/k
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I roomed with a guy from Canada's fine Air Force while I was training at Lackland AFB for 6 weeks.

What a soak - oi - the trouble he got me in.

Anyway, he told me of the secret weakness of the Canadian defense strat:

You could invade the entire country quicker than Hitler took over Poland if you simply attacked them early on a Sunday morning.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Danes?   Yes they do…

A couple of brand new 6,300 ton corvettes with 5" gun, SAM's and Harpoon.

tinypic.com/azeahd.jpg

http://www.navalhistory.dk/English/Naval_Lists/Fleetlist_present.htm

What that picture DOESN'T show you is the 50+ portholes on both sides for the oars.  Saves fuel.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#26]
The Danes will lose. They are unfortunately fighting two fronts at the same time. The one front is the thing with Canada, the other one is the five-way fight over Rockall against UK, Ireland, Iceland and Greenpeace.

(Royal Navy Defensive Installation on Rockall)

NTM
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#27]
My money is on the Canadians.  Monroe doctrine tells the Euroweenies to keep their noses out of our hemisphere, so I'm better the US will side with our Northern neighbors.

As for the North Pole... Our subs can go there at will - can the Dane's little boats do that?  You can't own what you can't control.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
CRIPPLEFIGHT!!

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The Danes will lose. They are unfortunately fighting two fronts at the same time. The one front is the thing with Canada, the other one is the five-way fight over Rockall against UK, Ireland, Iceland and Greenpeace.

www.therockalltimes.co.uk/rockall/guards.jpg

NTM

I haven't heard about this so I googled it and got this gem (note the article has a map and you can see the rock is much closer to the UK than the Danish settleement):

http://www.therockalltimes.co.uk/policy/denmark-rockall.html

Policy announcement: Denmark and Rockall
Hands off you sorry excuse for a maritime nation
by De Management

In response to several readers' assertions as to the legitimacy of Denmark's claim on Rockall, we feel obliged to set the record straight.

The said claim is apparently based on Rockall's proximity to the Faroe Islands — home of ethnic sweaters and not much else. For those of you who may have missed the Faroes in your travels, they're a self-governing Danish territory situated at 63 degrees North, 7 degrees West.

Even a cursory glance at the attached map demonstrates that the Danes have completely lost their marbles on this one. However, should they feel obliged to pursue the matter, we'd like to point out the following interesting statistics:

Total number of ballistic missile submarines:
UK: 4
Denmark: 0

Total number of operationally-available nuclear warheads:
UK: 200+
Denmark: 0

We think that just about covers it. That is The Rockall Times' formal policy concerning Denmark and Rockall.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Danes?   Yes they do…

tinypic.com/azeahd.jpg

Didn't know they were in service yet. Possible that pic is one that's still fitting out?

They're being termed Expeditionary Frigates, and are closer to 4000 tons full load than 6,000. (Even 4000 is higher than the design name, Stanflex 3000 would suggest). Being a Stanflex design, its fit is modular, it may not always have the Harpoons aboard, for example. It does have a bit of a loading ramp for vehicles though, so can land the Danish Armoured Vehicle!

NTM
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Being that they are both in NATO,if they went to war,who would we back,or would we just have to come to both their aid

You'd help the Danes of course !

We helped you in the Iraqi war (and occupation) - and President Bush always remembers who his friends are!

...  AND our women are much more attractive!!  

(I need to get in my digs before Striker locks my account in a fit of nationalistic pride )
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Don't mock!  The Danish Navy have their 'secret weapon'……  the SVANEN Class (1960- )  

http://www.navalhistory.dk/English/TheShips/Classes/Svanen_Class(1960).htm

I'm glad they have that at least!

I know their SEAL program has met nothing but obstacles.  Their wooden clogs keep giving away their position.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
You could invade the entire country quicker than Hitler took over Poland if you simply attacked them early on a Sunday morning.

True, of course. But Canada is like a tick on the back of a rhino. No one's going to invade them and piss-off the rhino. And why would anyone (besides hunting/fishing outfitters) want to invade them anyways? Hockey players on strike just ain't enough, aye?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
True, of course. But Canada is like a tick on the back of a rhino.

If by that you mean that it spends it's summer months covered in inches of biting black flies, I'm hearing ya loud and clear.

Quoted:

NTM

It's still there - although an arguably better defense for it (rather than a brace of soldiers) is the sea itself.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Danes?   Yes they do…

tinypic.com/azeahd.jpg

Didn't know they were in service yet. Possible that pic is one that's still fitting out?

They're being termed Expeditionary Frigates, and are closer to 4000 tons full load than 6,000. (Even 4000 is higher than the design name, Stanflex 3000 would suggest). Being a Stanflex design, its fit is modular, it may not always have the Harpoons aboard, for example. It does have a bit of a loading ramp for vehicles though, so can land the Danish Armoured Vehicle!

NTM

I find it Ironic that we have ships in mothballs that have WAY more firepower than one of those.

I'm sure we could let the Canadians 'Borrow' a mothballed Perry or two.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Dupe

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=382086&page=1#bottom

he got you be about 6 min.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Actually, this rock thing got initially posted a little over a month ago.

I find it Ironic that we have ships in mothballs that have WAY more firepower than one of those.

I'd put that SF3000 up against a Perry any day of the week. Could do a Spruance in as well, if not stupidly handled. You're talking a difference of 30 years of technology here.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Don't mock!  The Danish Navy have their 'secret weapon'……  the SVANEN Class (1960- )  

tinypic.com/azew7k.jpg

Those crests look like the Jagermeister logo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#41]

We've got PLENTY of navy ships ready!!    

and we're building more ...

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/azew7k.jpg

Those crests look like the Jagermeister logo.

It's actually the crest of the town I used to live in, in Denmark, called Hørsholm, in Northern Zealand.  (The boats are probably out of Rungsted harbor.)
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
We've got PLENTY of navy ships ready!!    

www.saevarsson.dk/photo/albums/userpics/10001/Siggi_Laura_Roskilde_Viking_Trip_2003/DSC03764.jpg

and we're building more ...

home.earthlink.net/~garystrait/s/1/scan0057.jpg

www.nd.edu/~acasad/europe/images/roskilde-postcard.jpg

If there's an EMP, those will control the seas.

Now, if you could bring only one rifle to the Arctic Circle, what would it be?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Now, if you could bring only one rifle to the Arctic Circle, what would it be?

Depending on season, Mauser bolt action, or something similar.

I knew people who served in the Sirus Patrol - a very "elite" and very small Danish military unit that patrols Northestern Greenland, by dog-sled in the winter!  (they go out for several months at a time, just two men, 12 dogs and a sled with a tent and supplies - pitch black 24/7). They only use bolt actions, because they've found nothing else to be reliable enough.  Plus, you need a round that can take down polar bear
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

The Danish OPV's have a 3" OTO Malera gun, two 20mm Oerlikon cannons, depth charge throwers and a Lynx helo.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aj.cashmore/denmark/frigates/thetis/triton.html

ANdy

Sounds like a light frigate moreso than a patrol boat....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
sure is a nice spot of land there bickering over

Just big enough for a
(very small) air station....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tainted by "Surrender Monkey" genes.

ET Ask DK-Prof What in the hell is the Sirus patrol patroling for in 24/7 darkness? What are they guarding against? How would they know if they ran up on it? Understand, I'm asking this from the perspective of an Alabaman who has seen snow maybe a dozen times (counting flurries).
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Next thing you know, the Danes will send in Vikings............and hands off the North Pole, cause Santa Clause is American!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#50]
I have the solution. Simply divide the island in two. Half the rock goes to the Canucks and half goes to the Danes. ya can post border guards on it to ensure that there are no illegal crossings.

what do you say DK-Prof, sound like a winner to you?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top