Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/22/2005 9:09:52 PM EDT
My son has wanted to play football all year.  He's been bugging the day lights out of me so finally I caved and have allowed him to play.  Unfortunately I'm swamped right now with work and my daughter's Volleyball [albeit tomorrow is her last day of special practices] so I haven't gotten a chance to talk with the coach about what he needs for protection.

I sent the coach a note asking him what I needed to buy for my son but I didn't get a response.  My son is practicing twice a day and I would think he would need some protection.  What do I buy?  A plain jock?  Do you order the same size as bunders? A cup?  Do these come in small medium or large or just Large and Super Size me?

I have to admit although I do need the info I am looking forward to the responses.  

Patty
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#1]
This thread is going to be classic.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Ummm yea..... good luck
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
A jock and a cup.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This thread is going to be classic.

I think you're right.    Patty
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
lost1.net/Clint/People/Mac%20Cup.jpg

I often wonder how long you guys hold onto pictures just waiting for the optimum time to present them! Pray tell, where does one buy one of those set ups?

Patty
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't wait to hear all the erudite and long-winded explanations of..........a jock and a cup.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rcline/images/swsuptro.jpg

Caption: "Here we see Lumpy readying himself for the Full power shot"
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Go to a sports shop, take your son along, and make him try on multiple sized cups/whatever, if needed, the local store staff can help you out loads.  then proceed to checkout when finished.

It worked for me.

ETA: And yes, they do have multiple sizes....
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rcline/images/swsuptro.jpg

Caption: "Here we see Lumpy readying himself for the Full power shot"

oh damn that was funny!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Go to a sports shop, take your son along, and make him try on multiple sized cups/whatever, if needed, the local store staff can help you out loads.  then proceed to checkout when finished.

It worked for me.

Okay so they'll fit them for him I don't have to do anything but stand in line with my debit card?  Patty
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It worked for me.

Okay so they'll fit them for him I don't have to do anything but stand in line with my debit card?  Patty

Yeah, it would be best to resist the urge to recommend "small" sizes, or when he tries on a big one you say "Oh, plenty of room in there" and traumatize the boy for life.

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#14]
^^ Patty
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Take the boy down to Big-5 and ask for the manager to recommend a jock.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#16]

i said kick me in the jimmy!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#17]
be sure to kick him to make sure it works
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Patty you're a glutton for punishment!

Probably won't have to try them on, they're pretty commonly sized.

www.safesports.com/support.html

They look like this guy don't they?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Patty you're a glutton for punishment!

Probably won't have to try them on, they're pretty commonly sized.

www.safesports.com/support.html
www.safesports.com/media/xo_sizing_chart.gif

ai.pricegrabber.com/product_images/7620000-7620999/7620859_125.jpg

They look like this guy don't they?

Visual aids are typically helpful!  Patty
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Things you don't want to have your student athlete tell his coach:

"The store was out of cups, so I got a bart simpson mug instead, will that do coach?"
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:14:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Things you don't want to have your student athlete tell his coach:

"The store was out of cups, so I got a bart simpson mug instead, will that do coach?"

Okay scratch the bart simpson cup, gotcha.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:21:16 AM EDT
[#22]
check out ebay they have some used ones
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
check out ebay they have some used ones

[stomps foot] Hey Now!  My boy's jewels are not going to be stored in a used cup! [/stomps foot] Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:27:50 AM EDT
[#24]
As someone who has played football and coached youth leagues, don't bother with the cup.
He's not playing football, not baseball.

Jock, yes

Cup, no
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:30:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
As someone who has played football and coached youth leagues, don't bother with the cup.

Jock, yes

Cup, no

Thank you, I do appreciate that advice as I had no idea.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:35:45 AM EDT
[#26]
What brings tears to a Polish mother's eyes?
Seeing her son fitted for his first jockstrap.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jock, yes

Cup, no

Thank you, I do appreciate that advice as I had no idea.  Patty

Did I miss something?
If he's playing football or baseball he needs a jock and a cup.
I played both in high school and anyone who has played will tell you they are 100 percent glad they had a cup on.
As for baseball, if you ever get hit with a low pitch you'll be glad you had the cup on.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:39:15 AM EDT
[#28]
He's playing Foot Ball.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#29]
A jock is all he will need. Boxer brief underwear the kind that have legs or snug fitting lycra shorts similiar to bike shorts will keep down the incidence of heat rash. Buy him a bottle of Gold bond powder also and tell him to use it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Oh great conflicting info! This is difficult enough! Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:46:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Ahhhh, a brewing controversy.

To cup or not to cup....that is the question.

All jocking aside, this cuproversy could be the beginning of a jewel of a conversation. And I would add that the usual nuts around here need not weigh in.

C'mon, lets get the ball rolling on this one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:48:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Jock only. No Cup for Football.

Yes i played both highschool and college football.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:50:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

OK Patty imagine this.
Your son (who you love with all your heart) gets kicked in the crown jewels while playing football and loses one of them, is it worth not wearing a cup?

Now same scenario but he's wearing a cup, no harm no injury at all.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:53:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

You played college ball and didn't wear a cup?
What were you the place kicker
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:06:00 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Ahhhh, a brewing controversy.

To cup or not to cup....that is the question.

All jocking aside, this cuproversy could be the beginning of a jewel of a conversation. And I would add that the usual nuts around here need not weigh in.

C'mon, lets get the ball rolling on this one.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:06:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK Patty imagine this.
Your son (who you love with all your heart) gets kicked in the crown jewels while playing football and loses one of them, is it worth not wearing a cup?

Now same scenario but he's wearing a cup, no harm no injury at all.

I definitely want him protected.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:20:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:33:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Look for the Shock Doctor brand of cup.

Good fit w/o restriction of movement. Good level of protection.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Jock only.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Me thinks this thread needs a poll
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Defensive end.

I have a very good friend who is the deep snapper for the Indianapolis Colts they only wear jocks too. A cup is far too restrictive / bulky for the required speed and movement that football requires. It would rub a rash spot on you in a matter of a couple of practices, especially here where the temps are high. Baseball is a different game where there is a limited amount of movement and the chances of injury is greater due to the speed and size of a baseball. I won't argue that if one could be comfortable worn and did not limit your mobility then it would be aprudent thing.

Oh by the way the place kicker/punter is probably the one guy on the field who should wear one, after all he spends half his time with his legs spread
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Defensive end.

I have a very good friend who is the deep snapper for the Indianapolis Colts they only wear jocks too. A cup is far too restrictive / bulky for the required speed and movement that football requires. It would rub a rash spot on you in a matter of a couple of practices, especially here where the temps are high. Baseball is a different game where there is a limited amount of movement and the chances of injury is greater due to the speed and size of a baseball. I won't argue that if one could be comfortable worn and did not limit your mobility then it would be aprudent thing.

Oh by the way the place kicker/punter is probably the one guy on the field who should wear one, after all he spends half his time with his legs spread

And well behind the line of scrimage ( if the line holds of course LOL)
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#43]
I played ball in high school and in college as well, and never wore a cup.  In college, we were issued a set of compression shorts (RUDS) that kept everything pretty much in check.

I played offensive line, for whatever that's worth, and only got a shot to the nuts once (guy was jumping to block a pass, I knocked him over, and as he was going backwards, his leg came out and up for balance).

No one, that I remember, wore a cup.

Cups are for drinking, oh, and baseball.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#44]
No cup for football.  I still play baseball and I never go onto the field without a cup but I never wore one for football.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Former high school tight end, I never wore a cup. The guys who bought them usually wore them for the the first day of pads during two a days. After their crotches were rubbed raw they ended up in the lockers.

I only took one shot to the boys. In the 9th grade I tackled a guy, he landed flat on his back with his knees up I landed on his knee, nothing an icepack couldn't handle.

Some guys wore the compression shorts but down here in Texas it is so hot that a jock and uniform pants were it for most of us.

96Ag

p.s. I played full contact ball from the summer after 2nd grade through high school. The odds of a catastrophic injury to the twins is low. But YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#46]
I was a running back. No cup. I found the jock kept things close and the pants inseam was sturdy enough to keep out threats. I figured the linemen needed them incase someone was playing dirty pool in the trenches.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Real men don't use cups.

It also has the added benefit of keeping the slow and uncoordinated out of the gene pool.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Patty,  first check with the coach and see what is recommended or mandatory.  If it is mandatory or you do decide to get him a cup, make sure that it fits properly.  An improperly sized one can actually cause injury.

I just wore a jock when I played many moons ago and never suffered for it.  Remember that it is  genetically ingrained in the human male to "PROTECT THE BOYS AT ALL COSTS" so I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Your son's instincts will offer the best protection!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#50]

Such strange information.  Once we started playing tackle (rather than touch) football, one of the required pieces of equipment was a jock strap with protective cup.

No helmet, no practice/play.  No shoulderpads, no practice/play.  No cup, no practice/play.  Of course I was a lineman, so maybe there were some special rules for the backs, but everyone I knew--every person, from quarterback and running back to ends and linemen--wore a cup.

On defensive line, if you didn't wear a cup, you would be seriously sorry the first time an offensive lineman low-blocked you, or worse a pair of linemen would high-low you.

I would be stunned beyond words if they actually reduced the level of protective equipment since I played in the early 1990s.

BTW, I practiced five days a week, much of it in 95-105 degree heat and 60-80% humidity, and never had any rash/chafing problem wearing a cup.

Jim
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top