Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 9:07:06 PM EDT
Okay folks.

I'm not very good at growing facial hair. But I've been slowly doing so over time because I'm now a graduate assistant, and when I have some scruff and whatnot, I don't look 16. And I figured looking 16 in front of a bunch of undergrads might be bad.

BUT

I'm also working as an intern at a government contractor. In a program run by a retired Sgt. I start tomorrow (I'm so jacked up/nervous/excited that I can't sleep apparently). I figure looking more clean cut might help there. My father (a fmr gov't employee himself) said the half assed beard I have should be fine. But I don't know.

Should Spade Shave?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate shaving, but for a g-man it's necessary.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep going and shave your head too.

Its liberating.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't be a bum..........shave gawddammit!

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't be a hippy
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm dead serious.

1.  Look in the mirror
2.  Ask yourself:  "Would I hire me if my JOB and FAMILY was on the line?
3.  Act accordingly

If you can, looking yourself in the mirror, walk in there, and, be ok, then, go with god, but, don't be timid.  The worst mistake you could make is to not be confident inyourself.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#6]
No, don't shave your pubes!!!!!!!!!

ETA-I didn't even read th topic, my bad.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Only shave your eyebrows off
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#8]
You'll look like a kid trying to look older with a trendy beard.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It's not at the point where you could call it "trendy".
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Shave for now and then find out how big a stickler your supervisor is then go from there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not at the point where you could call it "trendy".

"Retarded"

Yes

"Trendy"

No.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Okay folks.

Should Spade Shave?

I think Spud should shave
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I hate shaving. When I got out of the service I bought a beard trimmer and now I trim my beard at the shortest setting. It looks like I haven't shaved in about 3 days. I love it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:55:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Don't be a hippy

+1.  Nothing looks worse than a half ass beard.  Shave it off!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#16]
get your back waxed instead
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Shave--get a clean cut hair cut and walk in like you own the place but are willing to learn anything.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I was already balding by then, but took years before I raised the blade and became a chrome dome - and have been sexy every since.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:35:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Shave, professional looks get better $$$
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Leave it.  If the boss has a 'dress code', he'll tell ya.

So not good advice for a young man.  Nothing screams slacker louder than a scraggly 25 hair 'beard' on a young guy.  

It just isn't professional and doesn't even come close to portraying that image.

Well... Unless you're one of those starving artist hippy types, I suppose.

To me, and I may be wrong for this but,  it makes me think the guy's lazy and can't be bothered with his appearance....  I can't take that kind of person seriously, and I'd have major doubts whether he'd take his JOB seriously.  Again, I may be wrong, but most often I tend to think I'm not on this.  

I guess it may sound stupid to form an opinion on "looks" but they very often drop clues as to how the person is.  If they don't take their appearance seriously, why would I think they'll take the job seriously ?   I suppose that smacks of prejudicial thought, but that's just me....

I go with the "shave it" side here.....  Especially if you're going to be a .gov intern, working for an old salt, ex-serviceman.  It's just more professional looking and I'll hazard to say, he'd get taken more seriously, even WITH a babyface...

Again, just my opinion, for whatever that's worth.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#21]
You already have the internship without meeting the guy that runs it?

Sounds like looks aren't that important.

Just make it look well cared for.

If you go in without it, and change your mind, it'll look like shit while you grow it. If you go in with it and then shave later on, it's just a decision.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I think people should be clean cut regardless of job. I shave each day, and have my hair cut every 7 days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top