Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 9:01:57 PM EDT
My wife was involved in a car wreck last week.  Totalled her 2000 Nissan Altima.  We're waiting for the insurance company to pony up.  I'm not expecting much.  

Anyway, we've got to get her a car.  I've got a budget for a MSRP of about $22k, and I hope to whack the dealership down to about $20k.  (That's why the 4-banger engines.  Well, that plus mileage.)

First we looked at the 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (another 4-banger).  Very very nice looking car, but my wife said that with the automatic transmission it was a dog.  No bueno.  It's a very sporty car, and she's told me that she likes sports cars, but she liked her Altima, too.

So, tonight we test drove an Altima 2.5 and a Solara with the 2.4l 4-cylinder.  My personal opinion, the Solara looks better, has more features for the (list) price, and is just a bit nicer car.  Plus, it's a two-door, so it's easier for me to get in and out of it.  Realistically, though, either car would do.  The Altima we tried stickered at $21,900, the Solara at $22,500.  The Solara had a power front seat, sunroof, and alloy wheels.  The Altima did not.

So, voice of experience here?  Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, for $22K, you have a LOT of other options.

Have you driven the Scion tC? It puts a large-ish Camry 4-cylinder engine in a smaller, lighter package - lots of zip for under $18K. Very Celica GT-like, for several grand less. The interior and overall build quality are impressive.

I would also look at the Mazda 3 series - Not particularly cheap as compacts go, but a lot of fun to drive.

As a last resort, I would consider a slightly-used V6 Altima, or maybe even a well-used Maxima. VQ engines are delightful, even with 50K on them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#2]
French or Japanese the choice is yours.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]
22K should be able to get you a new V6 mustang
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Solara all the way.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#5]
The new Hyundai Sonatas look pretty damn nice, and can be had with a nice V6.  

I have an 03 Tiburon, and it's a GREAT car.  Very reliable and strong. Drives great... I'd highly recommend Hyundai.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the V6 Altima
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I think he wants a car that works, holds its value and doesnt use 30-year old technology.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:10:32 PM EDT
[#8]
if you want something that will hold it's value....buy a used lexus ls400.
4L v8, all the ammenities....could get a 200 with 50k for 20-21 grand.  they ride like a cloud and run FOREVER....trouble free. friends dad just traded up to a new one....old one had 720,000 miles on it.........honest....and not uncommon.
if you insist on the altima, which is also nice, go with the v6. the 2.5 is a dog in it. a used maxima would also be a nice option.
solara's with the v6....and in a 5 speed are very peppy.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he wants a car that works, holds its value and doesnt use 30-year old technology.

What 30 year old tech does a mustang use?  Internal combustion engines have been around for longer than that.

New mustangs are all new.  Sorry your wrong and biased against american products.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:11:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Why not a Camry. More reliable than the altima, cheaper, full sized spare tire...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or something that doesn't suck gas.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Get the V6 Altima

yep.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The new Hyundai Sonatas look pretty damn nice, and can be had with a nice V6.

Another excellent prospect - They are now VERY nice-looking cars (sort of cross between an Accord and a BMW), and come with plenty of no-cost extras.

On the down side, they are now in considerable demand, so you won't be paying much less than list price for one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Why not a Camry. More reliable than the altima, cheaper, full sized spare tire...

The Solara is a 2-door Camry.

We're looking at the 4-cylinder cars to keep the price down and the mileage up.

I think, however, my wife has settled on the Altima.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top