Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 7:19:01 PM EDT
My wife came home with a new Kenmore 80 series dryer from sears today. The cord was in the dryer and I have no idea how to hook it up.  The back has screws that the gold contacts hook onto but I can't tell what goes where.  There is a Red,  a green and a black wire on the dryer but the cord just has been separated into three wires,  all gray,  with gold contacts that go under the screws.

I have been trying to find a manual online but haven't had any luck yet....
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#1]
thats part of their scam to try and sell you installation i think.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Procedure:

Step 1 - open dryer door

Step 2 - remove MANUAL

Step 3 - READ
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#3]
The FriDge is at Disneyland....

Send him the link via IM, I'm sure he'll be on Arfcom later.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#4]
If there isnt a wiring diagram in the manual there should be one on the web.

It should just be a standard 220 volt hook up. Red is probably positive, black negative, and green ground, but don't try that without verification.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Procedure:

Step 1 - open dryer door

Step 2 - remove MANUAL

Step 3 - READ

LOL - SHEEITE I never thought of that!!!

Actually it was the last model they had,  it was a floor model,  really really good price blah blah blah but that also means it didn't have a manual with it.  I tried that route.  

I've even stripped the wire back a little on the cord to see if there is a corresponding color on it but it's just gray insulation over copper.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Well with the wire colors you gave me I know it is a 220v dryer.

Red = one side hot

Black = other side hot

Green = ALWAYS ground

As for where it goes on the dryer contacts:

Look for one of the grey wires to be grounded or attached with a bolt or screw to the frame of the dryer and that will be your ground.

The red and black can be mixed, either one to any of the other greys, it doesn't matter.

ETA: This is the universal symbol for "GROUND" look for it on one of the contacts.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#8]
The internet and Google are your very good friends.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Before you look for the diagram, you should check that the plug end is compatible with your 220 Female recepticle, some are 3 blade, some 4 and some with L blades.  (DO NOT DO THIS BY PLUGGING THE UNCONECTED CORD IN TO THE RECPETICLE- JUST LOOK AT THE PATTERN)

If it matches, then get the diagram at:

http://www3.sears.com/

Go here and type in your Dryer model #, then get  the diagram.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Before you look for the diagram, you should check that the plug end is compatible with your 220 Female recepticle, some are 3 blade, some 4 and some with L blades.  (DO NOT DO THIS BY PLUGGING THE UNCONECTED CORD IN TO THE RECPETICLE- JUST LOOK AT THE PATTERN)

If it matches, then get the diagram at:

http://www3.sears.com/

Go here and type in your Dryer model #, then get  the diagram.

SWEET,  I'll check this out.  It's a 3 blade 220 and I'll look for that ground pattern on the contacts....

back in a minute to tell you if my freakin dryer works or if we have a home explosion in the works.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Shouldn't it have come with a little instruction booklet???
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

He already said that it was a floor model and there is no book.  That was some where in the middle of all the posts
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Procedure:

Step 1 - open dryer door

Step 2 - remove MANUAL

Step 3 - READ

LOL - SHEEITE I never thought of that!!!

Actually it was the last model they had,  it was a floor model,  really really good price blah blah blah but that also means it didn't have a manual with it.  I tried that route.  

I've even stripped the wire back a little on the cord to see if there is a corresponding color on it but it's just gray insulation over copper.

Well, be careful - don't go mucking up a 220 cord.  The center conductor is almost always the ground - check it with a meter to be sure - verify continuity between the ground pin on the cord and the center conductor on the other end of the cord.  

If you don't know which pin is the ground, don't have a meter, and/or don't know how to check to see which one is the ground, you should probably call an electrician.

If you have a meter, you will see 220v between two holes on the outlet - they are the two live ones.  You will see 120v between the ground hole and either of the live holes.  That's how you find the ground.

Green = ground
Black = primary
Red = other hot (or white if it were a neutral on a 120v system)
l

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Gray power cord, Middle wire is neutral, outside wires are hot(power).
Dryer connectin, Middle is neutral, outside ones are hot (power).

Neutral to neutral, hot to hot. 30 seconds to connect. much longer , call for help.

ps. i do this for a living.

Roy
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Neutral to neutral, hot to hot. 30 seconds to connect. much longer , call for help.

Roy

Small correction - if you have a 3 wire 220v outlet, 2 will be hot and the other will be a true ground, not a neutral.  Plus he said it was green so it's for sure a ground.

But yeah, hook it up like rdsr says.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He already said that it was a floor model and there is no book.  That was some where in the middle of all the posts

Yeah, I didn't read down that far before replying.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You guys are gonna be in trouble for the 'D'.

You know how he hates that...

Really? Do tell....

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Roy

OK I'm about to go put a meter on the outlet and the cord.  This sounds about right.  Is there any way I can get the two "hot" ones backwards or does it matter which is which?  I assume that the way the cord is made is the way it hooks up.  It's pretty heavy cord and it would be seriously deformed if I "Reversed" them so I don't think that's how it goes

I'm gonna go put a meter on the plug....

Hope I don't get welded to the wall.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

OK I'm about to go put a meter on the outlet and the cord.  This sounds about right.  Is there any way I can get the two "hot" ones backwards or does it matter which is which?  I assume that the way the cord is made is the way it hooks up.  It's pretty heavy cord and it would be seriously deformed if I "Reversed" them so I don't think that's how it goes

I'm gonna go put a meter on the plug....

Hope I don't get welded to the wall.....

Hots don't matter.  Go for it.

Make sure to post back here and let us know you are still alive
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

Small correction - if you have a 3 wire 220v outlet, 2 will be hot and the other will be a true ground, not a neutral.

Not in my locality. either case make connections as abouve and you will have no problems.

Roy
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

Small correction - if you have a 3 wire 220v outlet, 2 will be hot and the other will be a true ground, not a neutral.

Not in my locality. either case make connections as abouve and you will have no problems.

Roy

If, on a 3 wire 220 outlet, the center is wired to the neutral bus and is not a ground, you have a NEC violation.  Alot of old timers call the ground a neutral, but while the neutral is a grounded conductor, it is not the grounding conductor.  

Green ALWAYS goes to ground.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

Roy

If, on a 3 wire 220 outlet, the center is wired to the neutral bus and is not a ground, you have a NEC violation.  Alot of old timers call the ground a neutral, but while is the neutral is a grounded conductor, it is not the grounding conductor.  

I was going to say that until I scrolled down to your post.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I was going to say that until I scrolled down to your post.

Soares Book on Grounding, 7th edition.  One of my favorite books.  But yeah, most people call the neutral and ground, and vice versa.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#25]
OK here's what I found;

There are three blades on my cord.  Two flat ones that would form the base of a triangle and one kind of "L""shaped one that would be the apex of a triangle.

I put an autoranging voltmeter on the two FLAT blades and got 244.0 volts

I put the red lead on a flat blade and the black ground lead on the L shaped middle prong and got 120v so that appears to be ground.

I also got a continuity tone on the middle prong of the actual plug and the middle connector of the three wires.

So the last question is:  Can I mix up the hots?  If I do that on my RC planes the motor will run backwards.  I don't think a dryer running backwards will matter since the lumps in the drum aren't directional but I'm sure there are circuit boards in there that won't be happy.

Plus I don't want my clothes coming out wetter than when I put them in if I hook it up backwards.

I'm gonna go wire it up and then will check back for the consensus before I plug it in. I got my welding gloves out and went over the basics of CPR with my wife. I think I'm ready.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
OK here's what I found;

There are three blades on my cord.  Two flat ones that would form the base of a triangle and one kind of "L""shaped one that would be the apex of a triangle.

I put an autoranging voltmeter on the two FLAT blades and got 244.0 volts

I put the red lead on a flat blade and the black ground lead on the L shaped middle prong and got 120v so that appears to be ground.

I also got a continuity tone on the middle prong of the actual plug and the middle connector of the three wires.

So the last question is:  Can I mix up the hots?  If I do that on my RC planes the motor will run backwards.  I don't think a dryer running backwards will matter since the lumps in the drum aren't directional but I'm sure there are circuit boards in there that won't be happy.

Plus I don't want my clothes coming out wetter than when I put them in if I hook it up backwards.

I'm gonna go wire it up and then will check back for the consensus before I plug it in. I got my welding gloves out and went over the basics of CPR with my wife. I think I'm ready.....

See above.  Yes, you can mix up the hots.  The dryer won't run backward - this is AC, your plane is DC.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

Roy

If, on a 3 wire 220 outlet, the center is wired to the neutral bus and is not a ground, you have a NEC violation.  Alot of old timers call the ground a neutral, but while is the neutral is a grounded conductor, it is not the grounding conductor.  

True, my terminology is off. An electric dryer only has 3 wires for connection.(unless mobile home installation or european dryers). If he is seeing a green wire it in fact is a true ground, from back of dryer and can be hooked to any external ground (a cold water pipe is what install instructions will recomend). Diffrent codes for diffrent areas of country. Ones I talk of are good for my area.

Roy
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes there is a green wire coming from inside the beast somewhere and hooked to a screw on the chassis.  I check continuity between this green wire and the middle connector on the back.  I got a continuity tone.  I also get good tone from any metal part on the dryer to the middle connectore.

The reason I'm so nervous is that about six years ago, someone gave us a donated dryer and the husband had been doing some home repair. We hooked it up and used it for a few months,  then one day I leaned over it to get something and it shocked the LIVING SHII'IITE out of me.  I'm 6'5" and 320 and used to play football professionally and I NEVER got laid out like that before  so I'm a little jumpy.

I'm going to plug it in and see if it works.  If it explodes and I survive,  I will buy the no fault replacement warranty ( I have 14 days to decide ) and get another one.  If I don't survive, the wife will get a sizeable insurance payout.  

wait she's calling the agent to up the coverage.

BRB.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#29]
PERFECT!  The dryer runs great and no smoke, no burns no fouls and no errors.  

Great. Thanks for the help fellas,  I really appreciate it.  Our old dryer used to take 70+ minutes to dry stuff and this one is already running much warmer.

Thanks again for the quick education and resolution.  Apparently the missus is a little excited by all the fixing and wiring and drying.   so  I'll catch you guys later.

thanks again.

Matt
CrashBurnRepeat
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Yes there is a green wire coming from inside the beast somewhere and hooked to a screw on the chassis.  I check continuity between this green wire and the middle connector on the back.  I got a continuity tone.  I also get good tone from any metal part on the dryer to the middle connectore.

The reason I'm so nervous is that about six years ago, someone gave us a donated dryer and the husband had been doing some home repair. We hooked it up and used it for a few months,  then one day I leaned over it to get something and it shocked the LIVING SHII'IITE out of me.  I'm 6'5" and 320 and used to play football professionally and I NEVER got laid out like that before  so I'm a little jumpy.

I'm going to plug it in and see if it works.  If it explodes and I survive,  I will buy the no fault replacement warranty ( I have 14 days to decide ) and get another one.  If I don't survive, the wife will get a sizeable insurance payout.  

wait she's calling the agent to up the coverage.

BRB.

OH yeah the little green wire is always good to hook up (even if you have an older house) that has no ground!  Even then it's attached to the box(which may or not be grounded)!

And yes electricity loves large grounds(you) but don't  feel pursicuted it loves to ZAP little guys too!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

OH yeah the little green wire is always good to hook up (even if you have an older house) that has no ground!  Even then it's attached to the box(which may or not be grounded)!

And yes electricity loves large grounds(you) but don't  feel pursicuted it loves to ZAP little guys too!!!

Bob

He can't read this, he's getting laid now:

"Apparently the missus is a little excited by all the fixing and wiring and drying.  so I'll catch you guys later."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top