Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 5:59:49 PM EDT
I've seen hundreds of Wal-Mart bashing threads.

But considering the 5000 or so people lurking, SOMEONE must work there.

I worked there 12 years ago, for only about 3 months.

I quit after Manager #1 told me to do "this".
Manager #2 told me to do "that".
Mangager #1 saw me doing "that", and yelled at me.
When I went back to doing "this", manager #2 yelled at me.
Since I was making more $$$ than either of them at day job, I told'em where they could
put "this and that".  Walked out on them just before Christmas.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#1]
10 years ago, when i was a teenager....for beer money...fuck walmart
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Never worked there, however, I consider any lawful work to be moral and honorable.

My mom never had the luxury of telling anyone to

"F-Off"

I was never taught that attitude.  I'm not of the caste that people come looking for me before I prove myself.

Man, if I had to count how many times that situation has happend to me, I'd freakin' die.  I simply do what I do.  

ETA:If I come begging for a job, I guess, I'm not picky.  

MGR:  "Why are you doing that?  Don't do that!"
Me:  "Sir, XMGR told me to do this, so I'm going to do it.  I assume he knows what you know, so, I will continue to do what I am doing.  Should he instruct me differently, I will stop what I am doing."

This is minus an obvious saftey or whatever situation.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Never worked there, however, I consider any lawful work to be moral and honorable.

Well said.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Worked LP for them while I was in college!  NEVER AGAIN!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

From an outsider, that seems like it would be the best job there.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LP?  

Welcome to being a JBT without the cool boots.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been working at WalMart for 25 years now.I immediately joined after my ETS from the US Army and was talked into it by my cousin.I started out being a greeter(sp?) and handing out smilies.After about 2 years of that,I moved to the cashier dept,then the sporting goods,then toys and finally moved into the snack bar dept.It was always a dream of mine to serve fried foods to hungry shoppers!After all,shoppers are hungry for food,as well as bargains.

I have a great house I share with my family and the $9.50 an hour more than covers my meager expenses.Thankfully I don't have to work a 40 hr week,they keep me just below 33 hrs,except during the holidays,I can work as many as 35hrs!!!

Thanks WalMart!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have been working at WalMart for 25 years now.I immediately joined after my ETS from the US Army and was talked into it by my cousin.I started out being a greeter(sp?) and handing out smilies.After about 2 years of that,I moved to the cashier dept,then the sporting goods,then toys and finally moved into the snack bar dept.It was always a dream of mine to serve fried foods to hungry shoppers!After all,shoppers are hungry for food,as well as bargains.

I have a great house I share with my family and the $9.50 an hour more than covers my meager expenses.Thankfully I don't have to work a 40 hr week,they keep me just below 33 hrs,except during the holidays,I can work as many as 35hrs!!!

Thanks WalMart!

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks WalMart!

Almost funny.

9.50?

Crap.  I busted my buttocks making 10.50 an hour making trailors after I got off in '98.`

I'd take Greeter for 9.50.
This is all very very funny.

I'm sure all you guys are millionares, or whatever......

My dad left when I was 3.  Full blown PHD...Intellectual...U of M..  Musical Composition.

He's dead now, so, he' s gradual getting famous

My mom didn't work for about one week during the year....Christmas.  Past that.....
I'm nost sure how many of you have the sensation of watching a person answer the bell, every god damn day..Never sick (That she called off for)

My Mom would've loved to get a job "Greeting" at Wal-Mart.  She worked as a maid during the summer enough.

Hey, why don't all you elitets kiss inwards?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#10]
That's retail.

Has nothing to do with Wal-Mart business practrices and I hate Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thanks WalMart!

So true.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks WalMart!

So true.

So what do ya think Bamma?  20.00 an hour for manning the greeter post?  Or is that only for the men's dressing room?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is

Well actually store manager would probably be the best, cause they make good money and don't do shit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't have to work for Wal-Mart to have 3 bosses.  My dad worked QC for General Electric and had a boss in Evendale, Ohio, one in Lynn Mass. and one in San Diego.  Each of them acted unaware of the other.  I think they got a little more than a day's work out of him.  They were always trying to screw him over on his mileage and expense account.  Had to sue them to get his pension.

Not bashing corporations, just saying they have their bad actors up and down the line, in high places and low.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Don't have to work for Wal-Mart to have 3 bosses.  My dad worked QC for General Electric and had a boss in Evendale, Ohio, one in Lynn Mass. and one in San Diego.  Each of them acted unaware of the other.  I think they got a little more than a day's work out of him.  They were always trying to screw him over on his mileage and expense account.  Had to sue them to get his pension.

Not bashing corporations, just saying they have their bad actors up and down the line, in high places and low.

Or, ya could work for a union.

THEN, you get to PAY for the priviledge of having somone not as smart as you boss you around from both levels.

People kill me. :)
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It's easier just to blame everything on Walmart or Bush
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

MGR:  "Why are you doing that?  Don't do that!"
Me:  "Sir, XMGR told me to do this, so I'm going to do it.  I assume he knows what you know, so, I will continue to do what I am doing.  Should he instruct me differently, I will stop what I am doing."

Depending on where you work, it might make a difference.

But having to deal with one manager telling you to move rock salt,
and another manager telling you to stock Tampons, and getting stuck
in the middle while only making $5 per hour.....

I've never had anyone come to me and offer me a job either.

But I also know that anyone who wants to work can get a job.

That being said, there is no reason to stay at a job where you are treated like shit.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
That's retail.

Keep bashing walmart....

Wal-Mart is the only thing keeping some of my customers afloat.

When they order something, they do it BIG.

We made some of the display parts for the stores.  All 5,000 of them!  We also make parts for the grocery, deli, and various other signs.  

I may not agree wtih wal-mart's tactics, but as long as they keep my customers busy which keeps me busy, which keeps my employees paid, which they spend at wally-world, I'll be happy.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's easier just to blame everything on Walmart or Bush

Right.  It's amazing the poepl on this board will squeal against Wal-Mart.........

Yeah...Noone's EVER shopped there.

I do, I give two craps.  I can't STAND shopping.  I go to one place, and, I get it done.  If I WANT quality, I'll pay for it.

I guess people want low prices with people lavishing custgomer service all over them.

Thus, the funny division.

Yes, let's pay the mentally disabled guy greeting 20.00 an hour!

*I have three of various levels of disability so, kiss my A.*

Welcome to everything being expensive.  If you are ready, go on ahead.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Well, you type just fine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, you type just fine.

Oh!

I am so very sorry, sir, that I did not meet your criteria.

I have

THREE children.

Of VARIOUS

Diablities

Is Autism ok with you, or do I need to type it better?

I'm very sorry you have issues with my typing.

A-S-S.

Since you couldn't figgure it out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks WalMart!

So true.

So what do ya think Bamma?  20.00 an hour for manning the greeter post?  Or is that only for the men's dressing room?

No. I would hope the dressing room people would get paid more, not likely but more.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

So you were a greeter?  Those are some hardcore JBT's they place to guard the doors.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's retail.

Keep bashing walmart....

We made some of the display parts for the stores.  All 5,000 of them!  We also make parts for the grocery, deli, and various other signs.  

I may not agree wtih wal-mart's tactics, but as long as they keep my customers busy which keeps me busy, which keeps my employees paid, which they spend at wally-world, I'll be happy.

Till they can do it cheaper in China.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you were a greeter?  Those are some hardcore JBT's they place to guard the doors.

Teechnically, I didn't "greet" them until we were in the parking lot!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's retail.

Keep bashing walmart....

Till they can do it cheaper in China.

And that's the risk I run for being a manufacturer.  I know that China will take our manufacturing base, but I'll hold on as long as I can.

And plastics don't do well in containers for 3 months.  Wal-Mart is finding that out the hard way.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#28]
For 4 years and 10 months.

Started out as a overnighter.  Moved up to front end manager, after about 7 months.  Took over pets dept manager 6 months after that.  Then I was asked to join the management team.  Being all of 19 I said sure.  Became an assistant store manager after a solid 10 months of stoopid training.  I was actually pretty good at it, but then over hearing some of my bosses talking shit about me, because I was outdoing them got me mad.  I started to fuckaround, show up when I felt like it.  Then they asked me to fire a lil old lady that was a people greeter for no reason other than she's old.  I wouldnt do it so they said she goes or I o. I went.

BTW, if you really wanna fuck with an individualstore without causing any type of damage, go to one of the phones that is on a beam and dial # 9 6.  This will page throughout the store, and you can either talk some shit or just set the receiver down.  If you do the later, they wont be able to page until they check all the phones and find the right one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Started out as a overnighter.  Moved up to front end manager, after about 7 months.  Took over pets dept manager 6 months after that.  Then I was asked to join the management team.  Being all of 19 I said sure.  Became an assistant store manager after a solid 10 months of stoopid training.  I was actually pretty good at it, but then over hearing some of my bosses talking shit about me, because I was outdoing them got me mad.  I started to fuckaround, show up when I felt like it.  Then they asked me to fire a lil old lady that was a people greeter for no reason other than she's old.  I wouldnt do it so they said she goes or I o. I went.

BTW, if you really wanna fuck with an individualstore without causing any type of damage, go to one of the phones that is on a beam and dial # 9 6.  This will page throughout the store, and you can either talk some shit or just set the receiver down.  If you do the later, they wont be able to page until they check all the phones and find the right one.

Wow...

So your solution to overhearing your bosses talkiing bad about you is to go in the tank?

Welcome to real life.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I work for a company that is one of walmarts' bitches.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

SAM'S CLUB
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SAM'S CLUB

Perhaps a company that sells goods through walmart
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:47:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Just because a particular job is legal, doesn't mean it is moral or honorable.

And I wasn't implying that the individuals working at Wal-Mart were sub-human.
Although some are.  Including the management I worked for.
Likewise, the door checker bitch at one of my local Wal-Marts is sub-human.
But it isn't the fact they are at Wal-Mart that makes them this way.
Wal-Mart just gives them a place to excell at being idiots and assholes.

I started this thread because this forum seems to only hear gripes from shoppers.
I wanted to hear gripes from people on the inside.

Sorry life dealt you a hand you aren't happy with.
Go apply at Wal-Mart.  Rumor is they'll hire anyone.
Maybe YOU will find some honor there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:53:03 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Local radio station did this stunt.
They sent their "interns" to a Wal-Mart just outside of the listening area.
(they announced a page over the intercom and listener were able to figure out where)

The interns were making all kinds of wild announcements.

A few months later, the DJs got ahold of some Wal-Mart smocks.
They sent one of the interns to work with a door greeter, under the guise
of being a new-hire.  Things went too well, so he was instructed to start
flirting with customers.  Damn I wish they had that audio on their web site.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:00:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I'll be heading to Walmart later today. I am getting low on Owner 2/0 "J" hooks and Fluorocarbon leader. They are 1/2 the price of West Marine and have a better selection.

Might stock up on some frozen bait while I'm there.

I love Walmart. I don't work there, but I shop there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:44:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SAM'S CLUB

Perhaps a company that sells goods through walmart

Mclane Co.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Gee, you could have just been a man and confronted them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Thanks WalMart!

You must have been doing something wrong then, I started out at 6 dollars an hour and in LESS than a year I was making almost eight. Wal-Mart may not be the greatest place to work, and they should pay more, but you can make it work. Its better than taking handouts from the feds
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top